Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Cut a hole in my windshield. First mod/change to bike done.  (Read 4869 times)

• Offline OpusThePenguin   ca

• Trophy Member  ‐    55
    • Topic Author

Offline OpusThePenguin

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Brunswick
    Cut a hole in my windshield. First mod/change to bike done.
    on: Aug 24, 2020, 01.21 pm
    Aug 24, 2020, 01.21 pm
    First thing I did was do a trial fit of a few shapes I was considering.  I went with the California Scientific sort of shape, but honestly considered the circle. 

Then I spent WAY too much time trying to locate it and make sure it was straight.  Turns out that's more difficult than one would think with no straight lines to measure from. Measure 60-70 times and cut once, but first remeasure another 30-40 times.

Topless Trophy. Gotta say, a short sporty windshield would look pretty good.

Taped all the things so nothing would scratch.  I was considering ways to superimpose the shape onto the tape but ended up just taping over where I was going to locate the hole and you could see the paper through the tape.  Problem solved.

Cut the hole.  This was so incredibly nerve racking.  I do not have 'need a new windscreen' money.  I just have 'buy a jigsaw blade to cute a hole' money..  After an hour of finding other things to do I finally commited.  and then it was time to sand.  Hours of sanding to get the edges smooth and level.  It's not perfect, the corners aren't 100% and the curves one each side are slightly off if you spend enough time looking at them.

All things considered it turned out pretty good and you can't really see the flaws unless you're close and looking for them.

So the purpose of this was to deal with the issue of the vortex/back pressure that comes with the windshield up.  The was pretty extreme and made the windshield pretty much useless at speeds outside town and having the windshield up high enough to block air from the helmet.

Verdict.  At highway speeds 110-120+ km/hr (speed limits here are 110) there is a noticeable decrease in pressure but it is by no means gone.  I still cannot drive with the windshield all the way up on the highway.  Typically I wouldn't drive with it up high enough that I look through it, I like to look over it.  Lowering it enough to do that I could probably ride with it for a while at speeds but there is still more pressure than I would have hoped.

At 80-90 km/hr (the secondary highways and my preferred routes) there is basically no back pressure.  I tend to like to take the long, less straight path and at these speeds the back pressure is basically none existent.

Final verdict.  It wasn't everything I hoped it would be but it absolutely made a noticeable difference. I'm happy I did it, and I think if I had actually paid full price for a windshield that had this same difference I would be disappointed.   I would consider leveling the top of the windshield flatter as I see a lot of aftermarket ones with that profile.  More research first though.

19/09/20
    Title only edited to correct minor spelling mistake for the benefit of future Forum Topic searches.
    Trophy Moderator
    Last Edit: Sep 19, 2020, 11.20 am by Trophy Moderator

• Offline jaapvanthoff   nl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    201

Offline jaapvanthoff

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TT SE my2014
    • City / Town: Rotterdam
    Re: Cut a hole in my windshield. First mod/change to bike done.
    Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2020, 08.49 pm
    Aug 24, 2020, 08.49 pm
    +1
    20 days ago I did the same, and the day after I went on holiday with the bike.
    It did not bring me to where I hoped for.
    I have a V steam screen, the biggest model.
    What else to do?
    TTSE bleu
    ex: Dnepr, Ural, BMW's R1200RT :-))

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09.56 pm
    Aug 24, 2020, 09.56 pm
    At first, I had the same issue with the strange sensation of someone pushing my back at speed. To be honest I dont notice it anymore. The issue I have with the screen is the rain. With the screen extended and visor closed my helmet feels claustraphobic, it doesnt steam up as I have a pin lock but not enough air gets in. If I open it, rain drips down the inside and obscures my vision. So all i can do is lower the screen and close my visor with the vents open. Testing my jacket for waterproofing at the same time....  :110:

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5047

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2020, 10.22 pm
    Aug 24, 2020, 10.22 pm
    Except in nice still riding conditions without traffic even my Cal Sci doesn't totally eliminate any buffeting unless the screen is just barely low enough to look over.  In any kind of traffic situation, especially with pickup trucks involved there is no way to eliminate it.  I think auto designers should have to ride motorcycles in traffic and they would rethink how efficient their designs are when it comes to drag.  I guess with trucks they don't care.  Rain isn't a big issue with the Cal Sci.  It's a motorcycle.  It's exposed to ALL the elements.  I don't expect it to be as silent as a luxury car, or I would be in a luxury car, if I could afford one. :821:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline brenchley   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2021 Honda Gold Wing
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2020, 02.02 am
    Aug 25, 2020, 02.02 am
    I installed a Laminar Lip - it took care of all of the buffeting issues for me.  For the most part, I ride with the screen all of the way down or just up a couple of inches.  I'm able to easily see over the screen.  About the only time I ever put the shield all of the way up is if I'm stuck in a deluge and moving in slow-moving traffic.   :730:
    Former 2014 Blue TTSE
    IBA #69644

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    703

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2020, 10.19 am
    Aug 25, 2020, 10.19 am
    I just don't get it.  I've ridden with the standard OEM screen, the Touring OEM screen and the Sport/Touring V-stream screen, both solo and two-up, on motorways and other roads and I've never felt any pressure on back or neck.   What am I doing wrong?
     :084:
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    703

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2020, 10.22 am
    Aug 25, 2020, 10.22 am
    *Originally Posted by trophied [+]
    Except in nice still riding conditions without traffic even my Cal Sci doesn't totally eliminate any buffeting unless the screen is just barely low enough to look over.

...and I think that is exactly where it needs to be for best effect.  It's where mine is all the time unless I want to see more of the road on twisties.
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline brenchley   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2021 Honda Gold Wing
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2020, 11.15 am
    Aug 25, 2020, 11.15 am
    *Originally Posted by Novocastrian [+]
    I just don't get it.  I've ridden with the standard OEM screen, the Touring OEM screen and the Sport/Touring V-stream screen, both solo and two-up, on motorways and other roads and I've never felt any pressure on back or neck.   What am I doing wrong?
     :084:

The buffeting was the first thing I noticed at highway speeds - it was worse when passing or getting passed by semi's.  Didn't make any difference relative to screen height and it was pretty bad, depending on conditions.  I haven't had an issue since installing the Lip several years ago.  I'd say you're not doing anything wrong - it just works for you.  :730:
    Former 2014 Blue TTSE
    IBA #69644