Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] A failure to start problem solved  (Read 3502 times)

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10135

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: A failure to start problem solved
    Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2020, 04.44 pm
    Apr 29, 2020, 04.44 pm
    I've been giving this some more thought -

With the Ignition ON, when you turn the handlebars from side to side,
    does anything else happen, like the Position Lights switching on and off,
    Instrument panel firing up /dying, or the sound of any Relays clicking ?

Those are all common symptoms of trh Igniton Switch Wiring failure.

I'm wondering if your failing to start problem IS the Ignition Switch wiring problem
    subject of the Recall, as it may not be !

I'd hate you to wait to get the Recall work done and find it hasn't cured the problem !  :138:

It could be a problem with the wiring to the Starter Push Button switch in the
    right handlebar switch cluster, which are a different Loom to the Ignition switch wires.

It's the same principle though - especially if the wires from the right handlebar switch cube
    are tight around the headstock at any point when turning the handlebars lock to lock,
    the wires for the Starter Button Switch may have become damaged,
    or pulled away from the connector under the Fuel Tank.  :084:

According to the Wiring diagram the two wires for the Starter Button Switch
    are Red with a white stripe, and Green.

There was also a Topic from another Member a while back who found the
    Starter Button Switch contacts were dirty, and after taking the Switch cube apart
    to access them, managed to clean them up, though I don't suspect that in your case,
    as it probably wouldn't be affected by turning the handlebars. 

Cheers  :821:

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5044
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2020, 07.13 pm
    Apr 29, 2020, 07.13 pm
    Sometimes it will start right up with the front wheel straight, and most times all the instruments power up but there is no sound at all when depressing the starter switch.  When it does that, moving the bars left or right while holding in on the switch gets it to start immediately.  It takes more movement to the right than to the left.  About 11 o'clock left, about 2 o'clock right.  I have had the rare moments out on the road when the tach and speedometer would go zero and immediately come back up and have total loss of power for an instant and cruise control disengage.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Vince377

• Trophy Junior  ‐    4

Offline Vince377

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: Trophy 1215 std
    • City / Town: Saint RaphaŽl
    Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2020, 10.46 pm
    Oct 19, 2020, 10.46 pm
    Hello, I also have the same problem on my 1215 trophy from 2013 (2012 built I think according many factory stickers I found behind her dress...).
    In my case I use the kill switch 2 or 3 times and the engine fire up.
    My motorbike is actually at the mechanics for 68000kms big service (timing/valve clearance and so) we look after this starting issue and the other one that let my engine management malfunction indicator light on and my motorbike running like a 2 cylinder dying engine. I let you know if we find something.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5044
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2020, 11.03 pm
    Oct 19, 2020, 11.03 pm
    Mine turned out to be the right hand switch cube wiring harness had one of the wires pulled out of the connector down low in front of the engine.  Buried so well it took a long time to strip everything and get to it to change it, and Triumph furnished a replacement on a "good will" basis after the dealer applied for it.  Fortunately I had 2 separate cases open with Triumph on two of the issues it caused and with that and the dealer sending the request with copies of my e-mails Triumph came through.  I can't complain.  Mine is working like it should and starting with zero issues.  Kudos to Triumph for helping me out. :046:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Vince377

• Trophy Junior  ‐    4

Offline Vince377

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: Trophy 1215 std
    • City / Town: Saint RaphaŽl
    Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2020, 11.25 pm
    Oct 19, 2020, 11.25 pm
    I ask my mechanics to take a look it and will let you know. I also received the recall note from TRIUMPH... I have to bring the bike to the dealer. The nearest is 15mn drive from me but he is a thief... I must drive 1 hour to meet a better one. The thief tried to fool me when I asked him to put my Trophy in full power legal mode (damn French law)... after 2 month of waiting (and the fear to lose 800Ä) I went to the other one who made the job in the hour (and 250Ä).

tweedy-bunch