Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Drive shaft free play  (Read 2530 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Drive shaft free play
    on: Sep 01, 2020, 08.23 am
    Sep 01, 2020, 08.23 am
    Morning all,

Question, should there be any free play in the drive shaft.
    With the rear wheel fitted, I can move it back and forth slightly, nothing alarming, but I was wondering if there should be any. I have done a search for any free play, but can't find a topic for it.
    I was just wondering if it's a slight movement in the planetary gears, or any wear elsewhere, the bike has done 285000 at present.
    I have already have had the timing chain tensioner and chain replaced due to wear at 24000.
    The bike has been in my ownership for 3 years, a late 2013 registration, I replaced the drive oil last service, i know it's only changed at it's first service, then never again, but oil breaks down, and being a bit anal about stuff, I like to replace oil's etc at the given service schedule.

Paul Wilko

• Online 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    959

Online 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: Drive shaft free play
    Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2020, 08.38 am
    Sep 01, 2020, 08.38 am
    There needs to be free play in the assembly to allow it to work correctly. A small amount of (necessary) clearance between the crown wheel and pinion will be greatly magnified at the outer edge of the tyre. If you have the bike in gear and are trying it that way, there will be even more once the backlash between the crown wheel and pinion, spilned assemblies, front bevel set and the gear engaged is taken up each way. To reduce this, you could pop off the left footrest hanger and get access to the universal joint. With your finger on there to detect any movement, gently rock the rear wheel back and forth without allowing the UJ to move. I haven't got any figures you should be looking for, but you need to have "just a bit" of movement. Make sure the pads are not binding when you try this. If there are no noises when the bike is running and the oil has no bits in, I would say you have nothing to worry about.

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2020, 03.22 pm
    Sep 01, 2020, 03.22 pm
    Cheers Trophy Master, as I said very minimal movement, and no bits in the oil, so all's good, thank you  :028:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2020, 05.27 pm
    Sep 01, 2020, 05.27 pm
    Hi Wilco, I too have play in the drive shaft, probably more than yours as my universal joint at the footrest end has some play in it but as others say , this is normal.. the UJ is a job for the winter, hoping to find replacement spider & bearings rather than buying a new shaft!!

I laughed at your typo... the bike has done 285000 at present.... no wonder theres some play  :745:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2823

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2020, 09.04 pm
    Sep 01, 2020, 09.04 pm
    If with a gear entered and it is a forward and reverse direction of rotation, if there should be movements. Note that with a gear engaged there are movements between the cardan shaft and the gearbox.

Another thing is to hold the rim by the upper part of the rim with one hand and with the other hand hold the rim by its lower part and move the rim with both hands and exert the movement towards you. Also check the same mentioned, but on the left and right side. In both checked cases, there should only be almost negligible movement. If the movement is abrupt, if there may be wear on the rear O-ring.
    Last Edit: Sep 01, 2020, 09.08 pm by digital
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2020, 10.03 pm
    Sep 01, 2020, 10.03 pm
    *Originally Posted by GavJ [+]

I laughed at your typo... the bike has done 285000 at present.... no wonder theres some play  :745:

I'm assuming that's a typo too but it is a touring bike we are talking about here. :001:

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2020, 11.16 am
    Sep 20, 2020, 11.16 am
    Has anyone seen a guide to removing the inner shaft from the drive? Will have to have a look at this soon but not sure if I have to remove the swinging arm or if the hub can be removed and the shaft withdrawn from there...

Always good to have a heads up before tackling jobs..

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10059

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2020, 02.12 pm
    Sep 20, 2020, 02.12 pm
    GavJ,

It's all explained in the Service Manual - Section 14 : Rear Bevel Box and Drive Shaft.

The Swinging Arm does not need to be removed.

1.  Support the bike on the Centre stand.

2.  Disconnect the Battery

3.  Remove the  left hand Upper and Lower Fairings

4.  Remove the Gear Linkage Cover

5.  Remove the left Control Plate ( Footrest Hanger )

6.  Remove the Exhaust Silencer

7.  Remove the Rear Wheel

8.  Remove the two "Scrivets" securing the Driveshaft Joint shroud ( Gearbox end ) and remove the Shroud

9.  Detach and support / tie up the rear Brake Caliper so the hydraulic hose is not strained

10. Detach the P-Clip securing the Wiring Harness for the Rear Wheel Speed / ABS Sensor

11. Release the fixing ( bolt ) and remove the Rear Wheel Speed / ABS Sensor

12. Remove the 5 bolts securing the Rear Brake Disc and remove the Disc

13. Remove the 5 bolts and remove the ABS Pulser Ring ( Reluctor Ring )

14. Detach the rubber boot from the rear of the Swinging Arm

15. Remove the Lock nut and bolt securing the Drop Links to the Swinging Arm

16. Remove the Lock Nut and bolt securing the Torque Arm to the Bevel Box

17. Using Service Tool T3880620, slacken the Locking Ring for the right side Pivot Pin

18. While supporting the Rear Bevel Box, remove both Pivot Pins and move the Bevel Box rearwards
    to disengage the forward end of the driveshaft from the transmission. 

19. Support the Driveshaft and continue to withdraw it together with the Bevel Box as an assembly.

20. With the aid of an assistant holding the Bevel Box, align the driveshaft such that it is straight.

21. Strike one of the yokes of the driveshaft universal joint with a soft faced mallet
    to free the snap ring securing it to the rear Bevel Box.

22. The Bevel Box may be further dismantled for inspection and/or replacement of the two Bearings,
    and Oil Seal, as described in the Service Manual.

23. Re-assemble in the reverse order, using new Lock Nuts to replace those that were removed.

24. Before running the motorcycle, check the Final drive Gear Oil level, and top up if necessary.

Cheers  :821:

tweedy-bunch