Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: How To Use TigerTool V3.1 Service Utility Software  (Read 21112 times)

• Offline T800XC   england

• Trophy Member  ‐    90
    • Topic Author

Offline T800XC

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
    • City / Town: English Riviera
    How To Use TigerTool V3.1 Service Utility Software
    on: Sep 03, 2020, 10.04 pm
    Sep 03, 2020, 10.04 pm
    TigerTool V3.1 is now released for the Trophy.  :152:

As some of you may have seen Here, I've recently ported my free TigerTool diagnostic software over for use on the Trophy, following the testing success by forum members mtowngoldie & Coconut.

Subject to the disclaimer below, the TigerTool software fully supports the Tiger 800, 900, Sport, Explorer/1200 & now Trophy models. It can also be tested with other Triumph models, including twins via special command-line switches, but support for some models may be limited and not all features will be available. Details on how to try TigerTool with other models are included in the instruction document.

V3.1 includes features to allow the user to do the following:-

Reset the service interval and clear the 'service due' wrench symbol from the instruments
    Configure ABS / TPMS menu items & default distance units for the instruments
    Read & clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)
    Read & clear ABS DTCs
    Bleed ABS brake modulator
    Check throttle body balance
    Read, enable/disable & program TPMS sensors
    Erase Immobiliser/TPMS DTCs and monitor live TPMS data
    Read VIN, ECU serial & engine map reference codes

DISCLAIMER
    These instructions and the attached software are provided as-is and without warranty of any sort.

The software is provided free of charge for non-commercial use. It allows the user limited access to the ECU on Triumph Tiger 800, 900, Sport, Explorer/1200 & Trophy models ONLY, and can be used to perform various functions as part of a regular maintenance and/or servicing schedule.

Using this software, and the consequences therein, remains the sole responsibility of the user. Neither the author nor anyone associated with the officially supported forums will be held liable for any subsequent costs, losses or damages as a result of downloading, installing or using this software.

The software MUST NOT be copied to other websites, internet forums, social media sites etc without the express written authority of the original author. Software support and new releases will only be provided by the author via the forums at www.tiger800.co.uk, www.tiger-explorer.com, www.tiger1050.com and www.triumph-trophy.com.

All reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy of the instructions and suitability of the software, but be aware that editing or modifying your bike's ECU may cause undesirable effects and/or invalidate your warranty. The software has been scanned at VirusTotal prior to release.

OBD Interface
    As with all previous versions of TigerTool, accessing ECU data can be achieved using the ISO9141-2 and ISO15765-4 (aka CAN bus) protocols. This software is intended to work with most USB & Bluetooth ELM327-based OBD2 interfaces, including clones. There are a number of ELM327-based interfaces around that don't work with TigerTool because they contain very poor quality components and/or firmware and don't support some the of the basic ELM327 commands that are needed, in particular 'AT D'. Some of the USB interfaces have the FTDI USB-to-serial chipsets which seem to work well under any version of Windows, as FTDI are usually on-the-ball with releasing drivers. Unfortunately FTDI released driver updates a few back that bricked many of the clone chips that were being used in cheap OBD2 interfaces so it can be a case of buyer beware. There are also many interfaces that use different serial chipsets, e.g. the PL2303 interface from Prolific Tech, and most of these have been tested. The key is to ensure that you have the latest drivers for the device that you're using to support the version of Windows that your PC is running.

NOTE:
    This software WILL NOT work with the VAG/KKL leads such as those from Lonelec that are used with TuneECU.
    This version supports ELM327 OBD2 interfaces that are V1.n or V2.n.

Installation
    I'm no software engineer so the file size for this application is much larger than it could be. However, when I do write software I try to make it robust & fit for purpose, and spend a lot of time looking for bugs and trying to break it. TigerTool is a standalone Windows application (on versions XP to 10) that needs no installation process and no additional files to run. You can manually add a shortcut to your desktop to make access easier if you like. This will also be required if you plan to try using TigerTool with other Triumph models. This latest version has been tested on a range of Tiger (and other) models by myself and several Beta testers.

Download the zip file attachment at the bottom of this post then save & extract the single executable 'TigerTool.exe' file from within the zip to a suitable folder on your PC, e.g. C:\TigerTool.

The latest 28-page instruction manual (PDF) is also attached below as a zip file. This file contains some important information so you MUST download and read it thoroughly before using the software. Note - this has not been updated from V3.0 to V3.1 because the only difference is the added support for the Trophy.

If you have any questions or problems then just ask in this topic, in the meantime below are some sample TigerTool screen images taken from V3.0...

Last Edit: Sep 03, 2020, 10.06 pm by T800XC
    ...we are reviewing telemetric information in our mission simulator and will advise...

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9941

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: How To Use TigerTool V3.1 Service Utility Software
    Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2020, 08.29 am
    Sep 04, 2020, 08.29 am
    Just to say a MASSIVE  :028: for this !  :047:

• Offline mtowngoldie

• Trophy Member  ‐    24

Offline mtowngoldie

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: KNOXVILLE
    Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2020, 12.44 pm
    Sep 04, 2020, 12.44 pm
    Yes T800XC, a HUGE THANK YOU from me as well  :020: !  Downloaded TTV3.1 last night and hope to get around to getting everything hooked up to check it out today  :047:.  I'm sure everything is going to work perfectly since  Coconut has tested it out already.  So, thanks to him too!

GOOD JOB!  :800:   :821:

• Offline Pipwidge

• Trophy Member  ‐    14

Offline Pipwidge

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: TT1215
    • City / Town: Shropshire
    Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2020, 01.14 pm
    Sep 04, 2020, 01.14 pm
    Thank you so much for this,,  I have not done to much DIY  :034: yet, but the excuses not to are becoming vertically non existent now

• Online atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Online atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2020, 01.23 pm
    Sep 04, 2020, 01.23 pm
    Can you or anyone on the board recommend a reader?

I'm using a dealer tool and getting a little tired of reinstalling old drivers everytime I use it because the last windows update changed the drivers.

2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Trophy Member  ‐    90
    • Topic Author

Offline T800XC

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2020, 02.21 pm
    Sep 04, 2020, 02.21 pm
    *Originally Posted by atrophy [+]
    Can you or anyone on the board recommend a reader?

I'm using a dealer tool and getting a little tired of reinstalling old drivers everytime I use it because the last windows update changed the drivers.
    As recommended elsewhere on here, try the bbfly-BF32301 (or BF32302 if the switch is in the correct position). That's my preferred and most reliable interface. Available on Amazon or AliExpress. Also sometimes on eBay.
    ...we are reviewing telemetric information in our mission simulator and will advise...

• Offline mtowngoldie

• Trophy Member  ‐    24

Offline mtowngoldie

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: KNOXVILLE
    Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2020, 05.16 pm
    Sep 04, 2020, 05.16 pm
    Okay T800XC, went out and fired up my newly downloaded TTV3.1 and everything synced up flawlessly as usual  :169:.  I then went through the top tabs from left to right.

First, in "Insts," I noticed that the service reset area showed 10,000 miles to next service which I seem to recall was one of the new changes in V3.1  :028:.  So, I changed mine to 3,800 miles to next service and hit the reset button.  Next, I dropped down to adjust to miles, PSI and F* and on over to TPMS and ABS menu and set both of those to "enable," and hit the "config" button to set this area.  Everything seemed to update to my desired settings except for ABS and I got a message that the ABS had "failed."  I most likely did something wrong and tried it again and got the same result message after hitting config.  So, went back and reset that whole line again, except for the ABS area, and hit config and got the "success" result at the bottom of the screen.   :084: Again, I probably did something wrong or out of order, or, who knows?

Then, moved on over to the DTC and ABS tabs and verified that I had no trouble codes as I had already checked out in the V3.0.  There were no new codes  :047:.  Next, I moved to the T-Bal tab and fired up the bike and throttle bodies were balanced at 65,66 and 66  :152:.

Lastly, went on over to the TPMS tab to check all this area out since I had avoided this area because I was afraid I'd mess something up in there before while using V3.0  :191:.  However, after your reassurance that I couldn't/wouldn't do any harm by accessing this area, I dove right in and hit the "connect" button and my sensor numbers/letters popped in.  Then, I shut down TTV3.1 and unhooked the lead and took a little ride down the road making sure that the TPMS was getting a reading on my bike's screen.  After restarting everything back up, back to the TPMS tab and hit the "live" button in order to now read the tire pressures (front & back), tire temperature and sensor battery status.  PSI tire pressures read 39.2 front and 41.9 back; temps read 30* C (don't know why it was in C and not F?) and sensor batteries were reading "signal OK."  Oh, one thing I did notice after shutting down and restarting everything after my warmup ride, was that my mileage to next service had gone back to 10,000 miles.  Suppose that is normally what would happen? 

So, to say I'm more than happy with my new TTV3.1 would be an understatement  :038:.  Sorry for not showing any of those fancy screen shots of the different screens I've talked about above.  Believe me, I'd love to know how to do that kind of stuff  :173:!  Sadly though, I don't and I've tried to explain my first experience with TTV3.1 as best I know how  :027:.  I'm sure you can get me straightened out on anything you detect that I have done wrong  :164:.

:821:

• Trophy Member  ‐    90
    • Topic Author

Offline T800XC

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2020, 06.27 pm
    Sep 04, 2020, 06.27 pm
    Thanks mtowngoldie for the in-depth report, and I'm glad it's all working for you. To answer some of your questions / observations...

In the 'Insts' tab, when setting the menu items you have to set the various sections individually. i.e. Set ODO, TPMS & Temp units together as a group, at which point the TPMS & ABS menu item selections are disabled. Or you set the TPMS or ABS menu items, but not together. Perhaps this isn't entirely clear in the instructions, but on page 8 it says...
    The 'Config' button remains disabled until a valid selection is made under the Units or Menu options. During selection, unavailable options have their text colour changed to red once another selection is made.
    In the Units section, all three values must be  selected, but in the Menu section, either the TPMS or ABS enable/disable items must be selected before the 'Config' button is enabled.
    It's possible that first time around you didn't spot that the unavailable selections had been disabled by their text colour changing.

In the 'TPMS' tab, when checking the live data it ignores the units being used in the instruments as there's no easy way to read them from back the bike.
    Again, from page 27 of the manual the following explains how to view different units...
    The units displayed in the live data window can be changed by clicking on the text labels above the displayed pressure and temperature. The pressure options are PSI, Bar or kPa, and the temperature options are C or F.

Finally...
    *Originally Posted by mtowngoldie
    Oh, one thing I did notice after shutting down and restarting everything after my warmup ride, was that my mileage to next service had gone back to 10,000 miles.  Suppose that is normally what would happen?
    Correct. On startup TigerTool always defaults to the highest service interval available for that model. I've not yet found a way, if one exists, to read the current 'distance to service' value from the bike. I'm not sure if the official Triumph diagnostic software can do this either.

tweedy-bunch