* Recent New Topics

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Motorcycle Safety (why folks don't see you)  (Read 1615 times)

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
Motorcycle Safety (why folks don't see you)
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:02:44 AM »
In another area I saw that blueknight867 had an accident where a motorcar hit him. I hope he heals well and offer my condolences.

The discussion turned to why auto drivers fail to notice us. I think it's related to the following:

Several decades ago there was this great article in the U.S. Naval Aviation Safety Magazine about why pilots forget to put the landing gear down. Even with all the warning equipment, checklists, and even co-pilot backup it continues to happen. So much so that, even today, every attended airport has a spotter in the tower to check that the landing gear is down as the airplane approaches.

What this article concluded was that the aircrew was focusing on an "unsafe" indication. So when the checklist comes to  "gear down and locked?" the pilot looks at the gear indicator. This indicator has 3 states, up/down/unsafe. Unsafe (a barber pole) is shown when it is transitioning between up and down. The pilot DOESN'T see a barber pole and proceeds.

I've compared this to vehicles and I think it accounts for most of the things we see all the time.

Drivers are looking for other CARs. The don't see a car and proceed. This explains how folks can pull out in front of pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles, trucks, fire engines, or anything. It's not that they don't see these things it's that they don't register.

Look at your own behavior and make sure you're not doing it too. I know I've had to consciously raise my awareness of pedestrians. I've caught myself a couple of times not noticing them as I was making a right on red.

Be safe out there.
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Re: Motorcycle Safety (why folks don't see you)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »
I concur wholeheartedly.

I try and swerve back and forth a bit as I approach any situation that I see as a potential danger.
My hope is that as my lights move back and forth it will garner their attention.

Also, I usually wear an optic yellow jacket and I swear that there's a huge benefit.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch