Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Height barriers  (Read 139 times)

Offline Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
  • City / Town: Apeldoorn
Height barriers
« on: September 12, 2020, 07:46:37 PM »
A question for the subscribers from Great Britain and Ireland:

my wife and me visited Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England last year, traveling with our camper. We choose, among other tracks, the Wild Atlantic Way and saw many nice spots on the coast where we could not park because of height barriers. As we are downsizing our way of camping, we are looking at campervans now, like the Mercedes Marco Polo or the Volkswagen California Ocean, put together by Westfalia Mobil. Both have a pop-up roof so their height of 200 cm. even makes most underground parking garages accessible. However, i found out that there does not seem to be a legal limit for placing height barriers. I hope some of you can give my wife and me some information about what we can expect when visiting the countries I mentioned. We 'd be pleased to find out if the vast majority does not exceed a height of 210 cm.

Henk
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 07:48:54 PM by Ebenezer »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Height barriers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 08:54:38 AM »
As the majority of such Car Parking areas are privately owned,
or do not form part of the Public Carriageway, I don't think there are
any Legal requirements regarding height restriction barriers and their signs,
which will be determined by each Owner or Operator of the Car Park.

There is Guidance ( not LAW ) from the UK Department of Transport
relating to "Inclusive Mobility" covering for example, disabled drivers, that states :

... It is recommended that the minimum vertical clearance, from carriageway to designated
parking bays should be 2600mm. This height is sufficient for a car carrying a wheelchair
on its roof and for the wheelchair to be positioned vertically during the hoisting process.

If it is not possible to maintain this height along the route to the designated bays,
information to that effect, specifying what the minimum clearance is, must be displayed
prominently so that the driver of a higher vehicle has time to avoid entering the car park.

On UK Public Roads there is legislation stating that the standard minimum clearance
over every part of the carriageway is 16 feet 6 inches (5.03 metres).
When the clearance over any part is less than this, standard warning signs
both on and prior to the structure should be provided.

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:12:12 AM by Coconut »