Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TROPHY SE v BMW K1600GT SE  (Read 19272 times)

Offline Sailfree

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW K1600GT SE
TROPHY SE v BMW K1600GT SE
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:23:30 AM »
Seriously considering  a new Trophy.

I do a round commute of 140mls per day and all last three BMWs have suffered corrosion from water and winter road salt.  Current BMW 1600GT is the worse - I believe its because BMW now use "green" water based paints.  Corrosion on the aluminium engine is cosmetically bad.

Its just not possible to wash bike down when I get home at 10pm and if they are salting the roads the wash down would freeze!!

Will test ride the trophy next week.  I do 43k mls per bike before changing  them every 2 years.  My journey is New Forest to London on mostly motorways.

Anyone care to comment on how different the bikes are and if anyone uses their Trophy in winter whats the corrosion like please.  Any comments on reliability?  Apart from costly service parts, brakes etc (front pads over ú100) the BMW's have been reliable.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:37:43 AM by Sailfree »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: TROPHY SE v BMW K1600GT SE
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
Living in Houston it's a bit hard for me to comment on snow.  It has snowed only  twice in the 11 years I've live here :008:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:13:09 AM by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:45:16 AM »
I can't answer your question, but I'm hugely impressed by the use that you're putting them to!

John.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:12:06 AM »
I think any bike you put that kind of mileage on is going to look shabby after 2 years!

The only comparison I can make is from the test ride of the K 1600.

Compared to the TT the K16 is a barge! The handling of the TT is lighter, more responsive and much more fun. As to reliability. Only time is going to tell. Reading this forum you will see that there have been some problems. Some more serious than others. But Triumph, certainly in the the UK and their dealers seem to be responding well on e whole.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 06:46:25 AM »
I think that the bike will do every thing you want. Only been launched last November very few at this stage will have seen a full winter so the corrosion issue would be difficult to truly assess. Over the years here in the UK I've found the only way to keep down the corrosion is regular cleaning. On the plus side the Trophy other than the radiator and down pipes exposes non of the engine so this wouldn't be an issue.
I keep a small pressure wash at the entrance to my garage and it takes only a couple of minuets to wash the thick crap off before I put it away then when I have the time give it a good clean and check over.
After all these type of bike are not a cheep investment and taking them back to trade in with high mileage and in sh#t condition you'll get Fuk all in return.
But you pay your money and only you can make the choice how you look after it.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Sailfree

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 09:29:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
I think any bike you put that kind of mileage on is going to look shabby after 2 years

Interesting.

As motorcyclists we accept that point of view yet as motorists we expect our cars to be good at 2 yrs and 45k mls.

Perhaps the motorcycle manufacturers need to raise their game or is it they don't need to with so many Sunday afternoon warriors that only do 3000mls per yr?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:30:58 AM by Sailfree »

Offline NeXTer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE(L) 13
  • City / Town: Link÷ping
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
That the average motorcycle will see at best a tenth of the mileage per year that the average car does is certainly part of the equation, not to mention most will only be used during the summer, so protection for the various exposed parts isn't really a priority. Then there is also the aesthetics and weight.

Most cars have most of the underside and wheel wells covered in thick sticky stuff to prevent debris from scratching exposed metal, and several panels protecting the underside of the engine, transmission and other parts.

It would certainly be possible to build a motorcycle that was as protected as, say a convertible, but it would weigh a lot more and probably not look as good as other motorcycles on the market, so noone would buy it except the diehards.

So your best bet is probably still a warm garage and careful use of a pressure washer after every ride.

For good measure you should probably replace every exposed nut and bolt with stainless versions seeing as water tends to stick to them.

Offline Sailfree

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
Had more time to read this forum now - great source of info.

Get the impression that early models suffered problems with fuel tanks, front fork seals & electrics - are these problems resolved yet.

Been trying to find guarantee period but find any details difficult to find on triumph website - can anyone advise please.

With 140ml commute in all weathers I get the impression I need a rear hugger - can anyone comment.

I note many compare the trophy to the BMW rt.  I always hate the boxer engine when I have a loan bike having been bought up on 4cyl rice rockets (still have my 1998 fireblade).  How smooth is the 3 cyl compared to a 4cyl?

Life often goes full circle but if I buy a trophy I will be back where I started as my first bike was a triumph 200cc sports cub!  Before most of you lot were born unfortunately. I did have 3 crashes in 1st year on that but in those days there was no training you took the bike out of the dealers with "L" plates and drove home.  Survivors later took the motorcycle test!  How times change!

Final question I note in uk alarm is listed as an extra. Is there no standard security.

tweedy-bunch