Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: USB  (Read 301 times)

Offline 1215

• Trophy Member
  • the tigers are resting!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: East Yorks
USB
« on: September 23, 2020, 01:40:57 pm »
Hi all the techies out there,
is it possible to use a small USB hub (two outlets) in the glovebox?
I have the Dension DAB unit but to use the through put adapter is a bit awkward, unable to open box to switch input on the fly.
The reason I ask is that when using DAB... most of the time (Coconut... long live planetrock) the display shows DAB and station ID  but when I press the MODE/MENU 'M' button the display does NOT go straight to FM but first press shows just USB and onto FM after the next press then subsequently AM etc. 
just a thought as this would give usb control on the fly from audio control.

TIA,    Mike.
four wheels move the body,
two wheels move the soul.

Trophy SE/ Street Triple/ Tiger 800/ Yamaha WR450 crosser

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: USB
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 02:52:01 pm »
I don't see why not.  Any dual USB that will fit in a standard cigar lighter opening with spade connectors for power to it would work.  Leave the switch on when you remove the glove box and the USB port is easily unplugged and removed from the box.  Should be very easy to do.  I put a dual USB port in the top box instead of the cigar lighter and found that a charger cord or USB adapter with a removeable front end on it and a large rubber "fender washer" put on it will remove the socket very easily.  Push it into the socket, give it a slight tug and the springy plastic tabs that hold the socket in place will give enough for it to come right out and connect the wiring to a USB port and push it into place.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:00:14 pm »
If I understand correctly, you want to know if two USB Audio devices
can be connected via a dual USB adapter to the USB Socket in the Glove Box.

If it is a Dual USB adapter with some form of switching, ( if there is such a thing )
so that either the Dension or the other Media device plugged into it can be selected,
then I don't see why not - but you would still have the problem of accessing the switch
to change over between the two devices.

I don't have the additional Dension changeover box as I'm quite happy with the Audio from the Dension,
and some favourite Music on a Memory card inserted into my Garmin Sat Nav.

I just checked on mine, and if I'm listening to Planet Rock ( other Stations are available - apparently ! ),
a single Press of the "M" button switches straight over to the FM radio, and not to "USB",
so this would appear to be an anomaly of the additional Dension switching Unit you have on your system.

It might be worth sending an enquiry by email to the guys at Dension to see if they can come up with an option for a remote ( Weatherproof ) toggle switch that could be mounted somewhere accessible ?

They were certainly very helpful when working with me to configure the Dension DAB Unit
to work with the Trophy Audio system. :169:

Try : techsupport@dension.com

Cheers  :821:

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:31:33 pm »
I don't know if I understand it well. I think what you want is to be able to change from a button installed on the instrument panel or handlebar of the motorcycle, to USB, radio or DAB, without having to access the adapter (connector port for DAB + U) installed in the accessory. box (glove compartment).

If so, that task is not complicated.

What you need to do is open the DAB + U connector port box and solder two cables to the switch that incorporates the DAB + U port and run those two cables to any optionally installed switch wherever you want.

I have it installed like this and it works very well, but the connector port for DAB + U and DAB + U from Densio I do not have them installed inside the accessory box (glove box), but both devices, I installed them inside the stereo box, hence, since I have several remotely controlled relays, I switch from DENSIO DAB + U to USB or radio.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline 1215

• Trophy Member
  • the tigers are resting!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: East Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 12:27:36 pm »
Alan,
I think you have a usable solution for me there as I have music on the Garmin (for a change) occasionally.

Is it true ??  there ARE other stations????? :001: :001: :001:  Long live PR.

Digital, thanks for you input as well , a very simple solution extending to a remote weatherproof switch ,     
you are ALL genius's   or should that be genei.   :002: :002: :002:

Mike.
four wheels move the body,
two wheels move the soul.

Trophy SE/ Street Triple/ Tiger 800/ Yamaha WR450 crosser

tweedy-bunch