Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Failure to start/Loss of power at highway speed solved  (Read 2872 times)

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Failure to start/Loss of power at highway speed solved
    on: Sep 26, 2020, 02.41 pm
    Sep 26, 2020, 02.41 pm
    THANKS TRIUMPH USA!  All my issues with going dead on the highway at speed and failure to start have been solved with the cooperation of Triumph USA and a surprisingly helpful dealer.  As it turns out the technician diagnosed the fault as the starter switch associated wiring.  After they were good enough to put it all back together for me to make the North Carolina trip since there was no switchcube in the US, I used my Frankenswitch to make the trip without incident.  I took it back in so they could once again strip it down and replace the switchcube, with the new and improved cruise control switch I might add, and all is now well with the Trophy. :046:  The Gray wire was pulled from the connector that is buried well under everything and a real pain to access.  From the looks of it, it appeared that the wire had never been fully inserted into it's port in the connector and just got worked back slowly but surely.  I did pay 2 hours labor since they re-assembled it and stripped it a second time to repair it, and I'm OK with that given the circumstances and the fact that I was able to make the trip.  With 30K+ miles on the 2013 Trophy I think it was very kind of Triumph to replace the part and cover labor as a "Good Will" gesture.  There have been a few instances of less than stellar performance by this dealer in the past, but I have to say they stepped up and helped facilitate the no charge replacement from Triumph by applying for it in this case.  Those requests apparently are not handled by the service advisory people and separate application has to be made to a different department at Triumph for "Good Will" parts/labor replacements and it takes a few days for an answer.  It didn't hurt that I had two separate cases filed with Triumph USA about each of my problems and the dealer had that info, as well as their diagnosis.  My  ignition switch wiring is OK, BTW.

:821: ALL, I thought everyone should know how well everyone cooperated to solve my issues.

Glenn
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Failure to start/Loss of power at highway speed solved
    Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2020, 02.45 pm
    Sep 26, 2020, 02.45 pm
    Great to hear that the problem is now solved. :152:

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the exact location of said wire etc? Just thinking that it may help out other members in the future. :002:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10059

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2020, 03.52 pm
    Sep 26, 2020, 03.52 pm
     :047: - Don't need to say any more really !

Cheers  :821:

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1479

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2020, 03.58 pm
    Sep 26, 2020, 03.58 pm
    Glad to hear that your problem has finally been fully resolved.  :062:
    I might slightly disagree with your comment that the Frankenswitch performed flawlessly in the interim. I seem to remember the look on your face when you forgot to select neutral before energizing The Beast?  :431:

:072:

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2020, 03.59 pm
    Sep 26, 2020, 03.59 pm
    I never took any pictures when I had all the bodywork off to do the 30K maintenance, and didn't think about taking a picture of the entire switchcube and wiring harness when the service writer at the dealer brought it up and put it on his counter and showed it to me.  I do think member digital has posted an image of the connector in one of his helpful posts.  I wasn't looking for it when I did the service since I'd already done enough troubleshooting to make the decision to take it to the dealer to see if Triumph would help out to solve the problem.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2020, 04.04 pm
    Sep 26, 2020, 04.04 pm
    *Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp [+]
    Glad to hear that your problem has finally been fully resolved.  :062:
    I might slightly disagree with your comment that the Frankenswitch performed flawlessly in the interim. I seem to remember the look on your face when you forgot to select neutral before energizing The Beast?  :431:

:072:

But the automatic safety disconnect of the Frankenswitch acted as it should have to disconnect if that occurred!  :745:  You don't get to make very many of that kind of mistake in life without some sort of consequence.  Glad you and mmlanes were there in case there were pieces to pick up!  I always seem to need help!

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1479

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2020, 04.16 pm
    Sep 26, 2020, 04.16 pm
    As I recollect, we were too busy rolling on the ground in hysterical laughter to have been of much use to you.  :129:

Good Times, For Sure!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2020, 04.30 pm
    Sep 26, 2020, 04.30 pm
     :745: :745: :745:  That was pretty funny right there, I don't care who you are!