Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Cruise Control fault - loose connections, or poor battery?  (Read 4509 times)

• Offline Teign500

• Trophy Member  ‐    16
    • Topic Author

Offline Teign500

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE, 2013
    • City / Town: Teignmouth
    Cruise Control fault - loose connections, or poor battery?
    on: Sep 27, 2020, 06.58 am
    Sep 27, 2020, 06.58 am
    Hi, folks 

On my 2013 Trophy SE, I had an issue a few weeks ago with it not starting, despite cranking over healthily.  The battery voltage was still 12.4 after a few attempts at starting, and all the interlocks (kill switch, gear indicator, side stand, clutch in, etc) seemed to be correctly set.  Battery removal, overnight trickle charge, and re-installation got the engine running again.

Shortly afterwards I pulled off, checked, repainted and replaced the CREE U2 30W LED aftermarket daylight running lights, removing the battery cover and left hand compartment to manipulate the leads and connectors through the fairing grilles. 

Only later on did I realise that the Cruise Control would not engage, and that now the engine management light stayed on while the engine was running.  I tried the clutch/brake, twistgrip, etc, re-set procedure, but it did not bring back the cruise control (no symbol on the dash when the CC on/off handlebar button was clicked in).

Subsequently, I found out from the forum how to read off fault codes from the Instrument Panel, and found these three displayed:

P1574   Cruise control prevented due to other malfunction condition.

P0108   Manifold absolute pressure sensor 1 open circuit, or short circuit to 5 Volt sensor supply

P1650   Lost communication with Immobiliser ECM

It looks like replacing the battery would be a good idea (the current one is only two years old, but occasionally shows sub-12V voltages after drawing a few amps from it, despite cranking well).  Also, I could have dislodged a connector while fiddling about re-threading the spotlight wires and connectors.  Any ideas? 

Also, Iím guessing Iíll need the dealer tool to re-set the fault codes and get the engine management light to go out?

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2788

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Cruise Control fault - loose connections, or poor battery?
    Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07.38 am
    Sep 27, 2020, 07.38 am
    Releasing the connectors may have started the engine and the DTC has been recorded.

If currently the connectors have been placed in their corresponding place, as soon as you make a few stops and starts of the engine and a few kilometers. Everything returns to normal and the light turns off, if the light does not turn off, it means that the fault is still there.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Teign500

• Trophy Member  ‐    16
    • Topic Author

Offline Teign500

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07.45 am
    Sep 27, 2020, 07.45 am
    Thanks for the quick response, Digital.  I only removed the aftermarket spotlight connectors (separate fused circuit straight from the battery), but may have knocked the Immobilser or Manifold connectors while groping down the inside left hand side fairing.  Is that possible?

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2788

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07.59 am
    Sep 27, 2020, 07.59 am
    It's possible. Although these connectors are well connected between the female and male connector of the connector. Sometimes and especially if you live in places close to the beach, seaports, etc., the salt mine is a good enemy for the connector connections to fail.

Unless a wire comes out of a connector.

With the Dealertool or Tigertool tool, you can immediately erase DTCs and instantly know exactly if the DTC is still there.

If all your motorcycle running you think is working and you don't have the mentioned tools. You will have to wait until you ride your motorcycle and make stops, the check engine light goes out.

Due to the battery problem and what you said, it doesn't seem like it needs to be replaced.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9995

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2020, 10.08 am
    Sep 27, 2020, 10.08 am
    I wouldn't worry about investigating the Cruise Control not engaging until everything else is working properly, although ..
    ... it did not bring back the cruise control (no symbol on the dash
    when the CC on/off handlebar button was clicked in ...

The Cruise control light does not come on until Cruise control is active, i.e. while riding
    ( at 30 MPH or higher and in 4th Gear or higher ), and have pressed the "Set" button.

DTC P1650 ( Lost communication with Immobiliser ECM ) is a Code where,
    if there are no other Faults present, the Engine MIL Light will go out after 3 "No Fault " starts.

As you suspect you may have disturbed something, and you were working in the area concerned,
    check the connector plug for the combined Immobiliser / TPMS ECM, which is located directly underneath
    the left mirror pod - it's quite awkward to get at, but removing the Storage Box and mirror panels
    should give you better access to check.  Make sure the Multi Plug connector is securely pushed onto it.

The Service Manual guidance for checking this DTC is to ensure the wires are secure
    and firmly plugged in to the ECM, with further checks for cable and terminal integrity at :

Pins 1 and 6 of the Immobiliser ECM, and 
    Pins A33 and A34 of the Main ECM.

Further checks are, with the Immobiliser disconnected, for short circuits :
    between Main ECM pins A33 to Ground and A34 to Ground,
    and for Continuity of wiring between :
    Immobiliser ECM Pin 1 to Main ECM Pin A34,
    Immobiliser ECM Pin 6 to Main ECM Pin A33,
    Immobiliser ECM Pin 7 to Ground,
    Ignition Switch Pin 5 to Immobiliser Pin 2, and
    Ignition Switch Pin 5 to Immobiliser Pin 8.

Those last two checks bring me to ask if you have had the Ignition Switch Wiring Safety Recall done ?

Wires from the base of the Ignition switch can be damaged which could result in this problem.

Has Member T800XC been to visit you yet ?

Cheers  :821:

• Offline T800XC   england

• Trophy Member  ‐    91

Offline T800XC

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
    • City / Town: English Riviera
    Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2020, 10.42 am
    Sep 27, 2020, 10.42 am
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

Has Member T800XC been to visit you yet ?

Not yet, but if the bike's running I'm home all day and doing some diagnostic tinkering in the garage on my bike so he's more than welcome to pop over and we can get to the bottom of it. Failing that I could head over to him if necessary.

Just about to reply to his PM from yesterday...
    ...we are reviewing telemetric information in our mission simulator and will advise...

• Offline Teign500

• Trophy Member  ‐    16
    • Topic Author

Offline Teign500

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2020, 07.51 am
    Sep 28, 2020, 07.51 am
    Thanks for your post, Coconut - that's just what I need to get to know where the TPMS ECMs are, and check their connections.  I don't know if the bike was re-called for the ignition wiring.  I bought it from the Exeter main dealer in March 2019 - I'll phone and check.

And thanks for the direct post and message from T800XC.  I was out when I got his message yesterday, but I'll get over with the bike when we both have some free time. 

Having had and fettled bikes since 1970 and tamed many Lucas 'prince of darkness' electrical components, I'm always wanting to know that I can diagnose and hopefully fix smaller problems on the roadside, and strip and rebuild at home if necessary. 

This looks like being another very useful and much appreciated learning curve.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9995

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2020, 08.29 am
    Sep 28, 2020, 08.29 am
    You can also check your VIN Number on the Triumph Web Site here :

Triumph Owners Safety Recall Search.

It's a shame that many Dealers forget / neglect to complete an entry on Page 5
    of the Owners Service Handbook when Recall work such as this is completed
    as per the Recall instructions, but you can check the Triumph Web Site
    for any outstanding Recalls on your Bike by entering the VIN Number here :

Triumph Motorcycles Safety Recall Search

Annoyingly, it does not show any Recalls that have beeen completed, only those that are outstanding.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Oct 01, 2020, 05.23 pm by Coconut

tweedy-bunch