Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Requesting recommendations on how to tie down my TT.  (Read 2639 times)

• Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: North East
    Requesting recommendations on how to tie down my TT.
    on: Oct 07, 2020, 06.34 pm
    Oct 07, 2020, 06.34 pm
    Hi Gang,

I am going to pick up my TT this Friday. Can I get some advice on the best anchor points for tying it down on my trailer? All trailering tips are appreciated.

Thanks all!

• Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Re: Requesting recommendations on how to tie down my TT.
    Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2020, 01.03 am
    Oct 08, 2020, 01.03 am
    Any of you ever trailer your TT?

Id rather not use the handlebars as they don't seem like the best anchor point for straps that are cranked down.

In looking at the bike, nothing jumps out at me.

Thoughts?

• Offline EXMX   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    63

Offline EXMX

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: ST. JAMES, NY
    Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2020, 02.46 am
    Oct 08, 2020, 02.46 am
    It is difficult to tie down the TT. Do not attach to the rear pillion grab bars, they will crack. Here is how I do it: I use a front wheel chock which has a ratchet tie strap which fits over the front tire, I slide a 6x6 landscape tie with a 3/4" thich rubber pad fasten to it under the exhaust( to limit suspension bounce), I have R&G engine guards installed which I ratchet tie to, straight up and down. Then I put AceBikes TyreFix Deluxe Motorcycle Tie-Down WITH ratchet straps over the rear tire. Just for added peace of mind, I put a ratchet tie down from the foot peg mount to a forward mounted d-ring. It took a lot of trial and error to get this worked out, and it took some time to get the trailer set up properly. I live on Long Island, so I have trailer through NYC. NOT FUN!

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2020, 08.20 am
    Oct 08, 2020, 08.20 am
    Also, It's probably not a good idea to tie the handlebar ends down as they are rubber mounted.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    316

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2020, 03.05 pm
    Oct 08, 2020, 03.05 pm
    First thing that came to mind is "ride it home" but that may not be possible for some reason. 

Too bad there aren't more choices for straps that wrap around the tops of the wheels and the ends are secured to the floor with simple side straps keeping the bike upright.  I've seen similar ideas for cars/trucks (withoput the side straps of course).

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/shop/Towing-Auto-Hauling/Wheel-Nets-Auto-Car-Tie-Downs/Wheel-Nets-and-Car-Tie-Down-Straps/E-Track-Wheel-Nets

• Offline barbarossa

• Trophy Member  ‐    54

Offline barbarossa

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: mariahout
    Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2020, 04.18 pm
    Oct 08, 2020, 04.18 pm
    Hello,
    It is not difficult to tie down a Trophy. I do it every year when we transport our bikes to Spain or Portugal.
    Start with the front fork. Under the headlight there is the plate with the sensor for temperature. Let that one in place. A little farther back is a plate, fixed with two screws. Take that one away.
    Now you can make a strap high enough around one forkleg. Tie the one side down a little and than do the other side. Pull the bike down, a little bid in the feather. Take care that the bike is straight.
    For the back: good points are where the panniers hang. This only works when the panniers are not mounted.
    Otherwise use the passengerfootrests (where they are mounted). One strap on the left, one on the right. What I do sometimes is the rest of the strap wind around the driverfootrest and make one more fixing-point. It is no need, just for the good feel.
    Important is to keep the bike straight and tie down the feathering a little, not to much. Do not forget to put first gear in!!!!!. If the transport does not last to long you might pull in the frontbrake-lever with a tierib. Do not use the handlebars to tie down. They are mounted in rubber wich will change the position of the handlebar for some time after you have untied the bike. Good luck.

• Offline barbarossa

• Trophy Member  ‐    54

Offline barbarossa

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: mariahout
    Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2020, 04.20 pm
    Oct 08, 2020, 04.20 pm
    One extra remark: do not use any stand, let it stand on the wheels. There must be some thing to prevent the wheels from slipping to a side. A gutter is the best you can use, otherwise make some kind of wood on both sides!

• Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2020, 06.34 pm
    Oct 08, 2020, 06.34 pm
    This is a big help!

Thanks all!

tweedy-bunch