Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Death Rattle  (Read 1672 times)

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
Re: Death Rattle
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 04:03:57 pm »
Raymond:

If the noise was coming from the cam chain tensioner, I would think pulling in the clutch lever wouldn't make any difference.  My noise disappears when I pull in the clutch lever.
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline raymondt1965

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TrophySE
  • City / Town: Montgomery
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 08:33:51 pm »
I just figured I would give an update. First, I changed the oil which turned out to be a huge PITA, as someone installed the spin on filter too tight and without lubrication! It was a struggle that I will not get into. But I eventually was successful and the result was much less noise if any, when I was done. I also removed the RG Crash bars which required me to remove the bodywork. While the bodywork was off, I did check the cam chain tensioner, and it seemed fine. I did however find that the mounts for the crash bars which use engine mounting points, were loose, a possible contributor. I also found a spare key taped to the inside of the bodywork. I think someone had taped it in there by poping the mirror forward and reaching way back inside there and duct taping it in place. A lucky find for sure. Also a thoughtful location for a hide a key! Im really looking forward to the riding season. By the way, I also installed a fresh set of EBC HH Brake Pads, new Pilot Road GT's and a Delkevic 8" CF Exhaust and it is really nice and was cheap.

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 07:42:34 pm »
*Originally Posted by raymondt1965 [+]
I also found a spare key taped to the inside of the bodywork. I think someone had taped it in there by poping the mirror forward and reaching way back inside there and duct taping it in place. A lucky find for sure. Also a thoughtful location for a hide a key!

The instructions I read for owners with two keys (with transponders) were to keep any spare keys well away from the ignition switch.  I don't know the reasoning for this but seem to remember some sort of comment about the system being confused by possibly reading the "other" key.  I have no idea if this is an actual problem or not, or if indeed there is any difference between multiple keys for the same bike.  But I definitely read it in some official leaflet/manual. I not making it up or spreading an urban tale!
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 07:49:46 pm »
Owners Handbook Page 60 :

A transponder is fitted within the key to turn
off the engine immobiliser. To ensure the
immobiliser functions correctly, always have
only one of the ignition keys near the ignition
switch. Having two ignition keys near the
switch may interrupt the signal between the
transponder and the engine immobiliser. In
this situation the engine immobiliser will
remain active until one of the ignition keys is
removed.

Offline raymondt1965

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TrophySE
  • City / Town: Montgomery
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 08:32:39 pm »
Thanks, Coconut!

Of course, Im sure this key was in there for years as the previous owner was unaware it existed and there were no functional issues. This begs the question, Where is a good spot for a hide a key? What if you wrap it in aluminum foil or something to keep the bike from seeing the chip on the spare?

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 10:03:34 pm »
Aluminum foil will do the trick.  I'd give it two nice wraps using HD aluminum foil for good measure!
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100