Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: What if I tip over?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
Re: What if I tip over?
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 12:45:01 am »
*Originally Posted by EXMX [+]
Earlier this year I dropped the TT at a stop sign when my foot slipped out on some and and gravel. My left foot was pinned under the foot peg area, and that was with the panniers on. Since then I've added the Tralex crash bars and have dropped once since adding the crash bars(practicing tight u-turns), and they do keep the bike bike and panniers of the ground. I also have the R&G front crash bars installed. (Tralex makes a nice set of front bars). Counter balancing is the key to slow speed tight maneuvers on the TT because the bike is top heavy.
I did exactly the same thing, earlier this Summer, on a very low speed stop while turning.
Subsequently, I lowered the bike using lowering links in the rear & raising the front tubes in their clamps. I also added rear bars, since I ready had the R&G bars.
Lowering the bike completely changed it's feel & especially improved low speed stability.
Now, I'm happy!
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline Yellow jacket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017Trophy/15Explore
  • City / Town: Portland, Ore.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 03:22:17 pm »
LarryJa. I'd love to hear back from you with a long term report. I get the improvement with the lowering, but wonder about bottoming out over speed bumps or other bumps or during cornering and hit a bump at the same time. Also, where did you get your rear bars from? Thank you.

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 05:15:16 pm »
While  at 69, I'm not as aggressive a rider as I used to be, I have been riding fairly spirited lately, & haven't found any downside to my moderate lowering. As a matter of fact, I think the drop added to my confidence with the TTSE.
I only got the 8mm Lust lowering links, via Ebay. While installing them, I also raised the fork tubes 13mm in their clamps. So, the drop is not too dramatic, but quite noticeable, for me.
Previously, I had a couple of instances went I used the front brake on a low speed maneuver, & dropped the bike. Thats why I lowered the bike & added the rear bars. Now, I've taken notice that the front brake much less affects low speed maneuvers. When these drops occurred, I had considered selling the SE toward getting a lighter bike. No more(for now).
I have had no negative handling affects. The suspension maintains it's full travel, & I haven't scraped any pegs, etc. The country roads here, in South Jersey, are pretty crippled & bumpy. So, the bike's suspension does get a pretty good workout, without problems.
After I lowered the bike, at speed, it felt different, more like a sportbike, rather than a more upright sports tourer. Not dramatically, but differently. Just better for me!
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: North East
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 02:46:39 pm »
Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

I think its probably in my best interest to install crash bars. I am going to add that to my "to do" list this winter.

Thanks again.

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 07:58:35 pm »
Does anyone have a link for the Tralex bars?  no joy with search engines.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline Yellow jacket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017Trophy/15Explore
  • City / Town: Portland, Ore.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 12:08:45 am »
LarryJa. Have you had any problems with your kickstand being closer to the ground, making your bike stand up more. Also, where did you get your rear tip over bars?

Offline EXMX

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: ST. JAMES, NY
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 12:52:29 am »
Forum Member Tralex has the Front and rear crash bars.

Also look for "DIY crash bars" in this TT forum.

27/10/20 - Edited to remove Personal Contact email address.
Please use the Forum Private Message facility. ( Forum Rule 1.08 )

Trophy Moderator
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:04:02 am by Trophy Moderator »

Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 SE (ex '13 SE)
  • City / Town: Central New Jersey
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 06:17:30 pm »
For what it's worth, keep in mind if you lay the TTSE down, you'll need to PICK IT UP!
With the Panniers on, the bike will probably be more upright in a drop than without the panniers. The primary reason I moved away from the TTSE was my inability to lift it back up. Also, the panniers help with the COG balance which may help in avoiding the drop in the 1st place.

The R&G adventure bars paid for themselves more than once in saving the tupperware replacement costs including the labor. They also provide a place to mount highway pegs or an airhorn.

Ray