Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The Weight of it all  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
The Weight of it all
« on: September 02, 2013, 08:45:55 pm »
TT 689
C14 688
FJR 637
ST Tank!
GL Tank # 1

I weighted  the bags on my TT and they are nearly 20 pounds each. Which make the TT around appx 630 lbs without the bags (cause the bags are not quite 20 lbs)

So, If one could replace that bazooka muffler with a aftermarket lighter option, and use some throw over synthetic leather bags, one could have the lighter of the sports models. Maybe more saddle room. Albeit, the bags would cause pedestrians to blink in pain at the sight of the 'ugly' going by.

The other factor I have no way of figuring in for weight distribution is that the TT has that huge gas tank. Taking weight off the lower rear by removing the Pantoon bags may cause the bike to be even more top heavy.

I don't understand why ALL bikes nowadays are not designed with fuel-tank under the seat. That seems to be the design that prompts the best low center of gravity best for 2 wheel maneuverability. Even the GL feels 'not-top-heavy' because of that preferable design. The Honda Shadow is a great example of that.

If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
Re: The Weight of it all
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:56:26 pm »
A portion of our fuel tank is indeed under the seat. I removed the pannier bags and the top box. I added the tank bag. Carries everything i need to commute. Like it so much better with out the weight or the buffeting caused by the bags and trunk hanging out in the wind.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:05:44 am »
*Originally Posted by Trumpet link=topic=1084.msg12518#msg12518 date
Albeit, the bags would cause pedestrians to blink in pain at the sight of the 'ugly' going by.

[/quote
And cause the rider unbearable shame :110:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:25:16 am »
For my commute, all the boxes stay on. yes there is a difference with them off but not much. Sarah and I are not skinny kids so fully laden for Scotland the bike was carrying a lot of weight. That said it still handled like a dream and went like stink!
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison