Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dead Battery - again!  (Read 4526 times)

Offline TX Triumphs

• Trophy Member
  • Another beautiful day in paradise.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Tyler area, TX
Re: Dead Battery - again!
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2021, 06:42:32 pm »
Update: after reading a lot of posts and looking at voltage numbers, disconnected the small plug in tender and put battery on full size Schumacher charger for two days. Wasn't real hopeful but walked into garage and turned key on, hit starter, and it started!

With fully charged battery did as explained with radio and checked software - still version 1.04A  :233: That conversation was had with dealer, going back on Tuesday.

Checked voltages, here is results:
key off 12.6
key on 12.14
Idle fluctuates a little right at 13.9-14.0
3k rpm 14.25-14.30

reconnected switchbacks and closed her up..
Idle 13.35-13.5
3k rpm 13.85-13.9

Took for a 15 mile ride at lunch (108 degree heat index) then parked in the shade and turned her off
Key off now at 12.25
key on now at 12.05
Idle at 12.85
at 3k now also at 12.85

These drops have also taken radio back out of commission - although I now know it will do what it is supposed to if fully charged.

Only DTC code I see is P1698

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2021, 06:57:57 pm »
P1698 is "5 Volt sensor supply circuit malfunction" and often appears if the Main Battery voltage drops.

It will probably be erased from the Memory after the next 40 fault free starts.

I can almost GUARANTEE that all your Voltage problems have been as a result
of the Software Version NOT having been updated, and I would recommend pulling the Fuse
for the Audio system until it has been correctly updated, to prevent any further Battery Drainage.

In your discussions with the Dealer that supposedly did the Update,
I would recommend you discuss that they supply a(nother) NEW Battery as their inaction
has probably damaged your existing Battery - that THEY persuaded you to buy
after telling you they had updated the Software when they hadn't - causing it to repeatedly drain.

At worst have the Battery professionally tested ( again ! ).

This Topic provides information on where Triumph Dealers can find the Software Update on their system :

Where Triumph dealers can find audio software updates (U.S.)

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:09:35 pm by Coconut »

Offline TX Triumphs

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2021, 07:35:06 pm »
Coconut - first of all, thank you for the patient explanations for the less familiar of us.  :020: 
Yes, it appears that the issue is still the radio programming, which is incredibly frustrating since it involves a 100 mile trek into the Dallas metroplex traffic. Close to four hours round trip plus the time there to get done what was already paid for.  :009:
Considering this is the third battery in 16 months of ownership I am going to strongly urge the dealership to provide a replacement battery for the trouble they have caused. I also find it interesting that this bike has been seen there for it's whole life as the original owner did all maintenance there as well, and they never did the update? (Not to mention I paid them specifically for that...)  :084:

The good news is that 15 miles was enough to remind me why I love this bike so much. Have ridden a couple Harleys lately and they just don't measure up. At all. In any way.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:18 pm »
Hopefully they will step up to the mark, do the job properly, replace the Battery,
and provide some sort of Goodwill for not only letting you, and the Triumph Brand down,
but for the additional inconvenience, wasted time and expense in having to return.

If it was me I'd be looking for the next Service to be at Zero cost -
IF their actions in putting this right restored my faith that they would do the Service correctly !

Once everything is resolved I would write to Triumph UK and Triumph US
to alert them of what happened, hopefully concluding with a positive outcome,
instead of a complaint, because if these sorts of issues are not brought
to their attention, then they will continue to happen.

My understanding is that when the Battery drain issue was first realised,
and the Software Update solution was made available, Dealers in the U.S.
and Canada were alerted by way of a Service Bulletin, but this relies upon
the recipient actually reading it, and disseminating it to their staff.

It seems that there is NOT a process whereby a Trophy booked in to a U.S. / Canadian Dealer
for any work to be done, is automatically identified as needing this Software Update,
or if there is then that system regularly fails, and in my opinion this is something that Triumph
need to address if they want to maintain a reputation for excellence and Customer Care.

Cheers  :821:

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2021, 10:49:58 pm »
So, apparently the output of the tender was less than the current draw of the radio, so the battery would drain even with the tender connected.   The regular battery charger output was much more than the radio draw and could supply the current draw of the radio and had enough extra current to also re-charge the battery.

BTW, an ammeter would have easily measured the relatively high draw of the radio with the ignition "OFF"  and removing the fuse for the radio would have verified that.   That still could be done.

It's nice to make a measurement to determine the actgual cause of a problem.
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014 ; SS3K 9-2020
Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline TX Triumphs

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2021, 06:21:48 pm »
So... August 4th I loaded up the Trophy and trekked to dealer (including over 45 minutes in dead stop traffic due to an accident) and delivered the nonfunctional bike to said Triumph/BMW/Ducati mecca. I calmly explained to them the situation and they confirmed the visit in April that was to have updated the software. They listened as I explained the ongoing saga and made clear to them my dissatisfaction with the situation.

Requirements given were as follows:
1. Update the software.  :023:
2. Replace the battery as it is clearly not going to be new due to this issue.
3. Ride the bike home for multiple days - make sure it starts and runs as it should. (If they get stranded on it then the appreciation for the situation is much higher.)
4. Call me when it is done, washed, and my $0 receipt is printed.

As of yesterday, 10 days after dropping the bike off, the status is "the Triumph system will not interface with your bike" so we are waiting for further "guidance" from Triumph USA.  :435: 

:157:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2021, 06:52:50 pm »
I can think of several possibilities :

• The Dealer is incompetent and does not know how
    to connect the Triumph Diagnostic equipment to your Trophy.

That might explain why they failed to install the Audio software last time,
    and lied that they had - to hide their incompetence.

• There is a fault with their Diagnostics cable.

That would be likely to affect the connection to other Triumph Motorcycles too,
    so it depends how many Triumphs they work on as to whether they would be aware of this,
    but could explain why they failed to install the Audio Software previously,
    and DID NOTHING about it, other than lie to you.

• There is a fault with the wiring from the OBD Connector of your Trophy to the ECU,
    ( or a fault within the ECU ) preventing the connection.

That could explain why they failed to install the Audio Software previously,
    and DID NOTHING about it, other than lie to you.

I really hope that they step up to the plate and sort this out for you,
after their previous failures - hopefully a simple Phone call between Triumph USA
and the "Technician" working on your Trophy will quickly identify the problem, and a solution.

Cheers, and Good Luck !  :821:

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2021, 08:37:47 pm »
I want to add that the audio equipment software updates are not performed with the Triumph diagnostic tool. (It is totally independent). In fact, there is no section in the dysnostic tool software to enter the sound system.

To update the Trophy's sound system, it is simply done via the USB input.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

tweedy-bunch