Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Kickstand and Lean?  (Read 11053 times)

• Offline 2slowTrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1391
    • Topic Author

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Dallas TX
    Kickstand and Lean?
    on: Nov 13, 2020, 02.35 am
    Nov 13, 2020, 02.35 am
    I have noticed that my 2014 Trophy I had seemed to be more upright than my 2015 Trophy when on the kickstand.  “Side Stand”

I was sure it was the kickstand was worn out,, it moved about 1”1/2 inches “one and a half inches “ once it was extended.

The new kickstand only moved about half as much but it was negligible It did not seem like the lean angle of the Trophy had changed at all.

I started looking around to see other Trophies and how they leaned.

I don’t really feel comfortable with the kickstand down standing on the pedal and swinging my leg over.

Has anyone else noticed a different lean angle on the older Trophies being more upright?
    IBA # 59602
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    949

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Re: Kickstand and Lean?
    Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2020, 09.03 pm
    Nov 13, 2020, 09.03 pm
    Interesting as I've observed this in my '13, and it's on my list to take it off and see if the mounting hole has worn, or worse, the mounting bolt.
    101,570 miles on it.  Sidestand has been up and down more than Paris Hilton!!!
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2020, 03.34 pm
    Nov 14, 2020, 03.34 pm
    Given the relatively low mileage on your "new" Trophy, perhaps the previous Owner was a very large person, and that contributed to the increased wear on the pivot? I would follow janfmiller's suggestion and disassemble the side stand mount for further inspection.
    Better safe than sorry, my friend!

I have yet to see any appreciable wear on my side stand at 32,000+ miles, and I'm definitely not a feather weight!   :155:

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1279

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10.25 pm
    Nov 14, 2020, 10.25 pm
      As far as I'm concerned a rider should never have the bike on the side stand the climb onto the bike using the left foot peg then swing the leg over the saddle. As I said, "as far as I'm concerned". The side stand is for standing the bike up when not using the centre stand.
      I have never mounted any bike I've owned, and there's been a "few" in my 50+ years of riding, by standing on the foot peg method. All right I'm 6' 2" in the old measurement and not as nimble as I once was, but I can still put my leg over the saddle [and my saddle is raised higher than the high setting].
       Standing on the peg only puts more strain on the locating bolt, weakening it and elongating the holes in the side stand. Remember these are my thoughts, you do what your happy with. How's the saying go, "every man for himself". Cheers.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2020, 01.25 pm
    Nov 15, 2020, 01.25 pm
    *Originally Posted by HACKLE [+]
      As far as I'm concerned a rider should never have the bike on the side stand the climb onto the bike using the left foot peg then swing the leg over the saddle. As I said, "as far as I'm concerned". The side stand is for standing the bike up when not using the centre stand.
      I have never mounted any bike I've owned, and there's been a "few" in my 50+ years of riding, by standing on the foot peg method. All right I'm 6' 2" in the old measurement and not as nimble as I once was, but I can still put my leg over the saddle [and my saddle is raised higher than the high setting].
       Standing on the peg only puts more strain on the locating bolt, weakening it and elongating the holes in the side stand. Remember these are my thoughts, you do what your happy with. How's the saying go, "every man for himself". Cheers.  :821: :158:

Easy for you to say, my friend!
    If I were 6’ 2”, I wouldn’t have to use a footpeg to mount my motorcycle either.  :001:

With my 29” inseam, the only other way I could get on my GS with its 33.5” Saddle height would be if I carried a ladder with me, especially with a dry pack strapped to the passenger saddle. :015:

With that said, I always pay close attention to the sidestand pivot when performing maintenance, and to this point have never experienced any deterioration on any of the many motorcycles that I have owned, but I can only speak for myself...

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    949

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04.27 pm
    Nov 15, 2020, 04.27 pm
    I'm 71 years young, can still kick a leg over my LOWERED TTSE with a LOW SEAT.  And over my Africa Twin WITH A LOW SEAT.

I've never used the left footpeg as a jack to get on because I've always been "A Few Extra Pounds' == FAT, and feared the sidestand might break under the stress...  :745:

Maybe I should try out for The Rockettes!!!!
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

• Offline 2slowTrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1391
    • Topic Author

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Dallas TX
    Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2020, 05.01 pm
    Nov 15, 2020, 05.01 pm
    I’m 6’1” and I feel like at times it’s advantageous to stand on the foot peg to swing my leg over especially when I’m wearing bootstraps, the reach with a side stand more upright is you are actually closer to the bike and don’t have to have as far of a step over.

That being said my main concern and or observation Is that I almost feel like my Trophy will just topple over at the slightest nudge.

After I bought my new side stand leg and installed it I took a 16 inch lock washer and placed it at the top of the three bolts that hold the leg in place changing the angle slightly But it did not seem to change anything.
    IBA # 59602
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    654

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07.23 pm
    Nov 15, 2020, 07.23 pm
    I was surprised as well to hear that anyone would stand on a footrest while the bike is on the side stand.  I thought I must have mis-read the comment...it just seems an inherently unsafe thing to do.  But then I was further surprised to read others do it too.  In normal use (to my mind that is only using the side stand to support the bike when parked and nothing else) I can't see how the stand could become loose or wobbly or whatever it is.   Maybe the issue is caused by the strain being put on to the stand?  I'm 30 inch inside leg and manage to get on the bike easily from the ground.  I wonder if it's lack of flexibility contributing to the problem ?  I don't have any answers; it just seems wrong.
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

tweedy-bunch