Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: DealerTool Data  (Read 1025 times)

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
Re: DealerTool Data
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 10:11:20 pm »
I got the bike up to the dealer this afternoon.  I explained to the service writer the problem and showed him how the bike behaved and he said he was almost certain a hose had come loose from the underside of the throttle body.  They wheeled the bike in to check, but before they got to that they found the "main circuit" was blown.  He said they replaced the fuse and it immediately blew again. 

I think this is a recent development because, other than noticing the horn not working today, I've never noticed anything else not working.  At least since I last rode the bike in June.  I see the reflection of the headlight every time I pull into the garage and I'm sure I would notice if it hadn't been on.  I can't find a "Main circuit" listed in the service manual and the horn and lights appear to be on different circuits.  While I'm sure the problem exists, I don't think it is the cause of the bike running poorly because I don't believe it would have escaped my notice for two years. 

He initially thought I would be on my way in about and hour, but now he thinks it will be tomorrow.  I'm going to kick myself a little for not taking off the throttle body if it does turn out to be a loose hose, but I still doubt I could have gotten it back on correctly.  This electrical issue is definately better handled by the dealer than me. 

Edit to add:  I know for sure other things on the Auxillary and Accessory Circuit with the horn, such as the turn signals, wind screen, and the ignition switch, were working when I rode into the dealership.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:19:47 pm by smash »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2020, 09:24:07 am »
It would be good if they had told you exactly which Fuse they are referring to.

Fuse No.6 ( 15A ) of the Rear Fusebox protects the  Horn,
Front and Rear "Position" Lights, and the Top Box accessory socket ( if fitted ).   

The "Main" fuse is right next to the Battery - You would know for sure if that one had blown !

As an afterthought, has the Worldwide Igntion Wiring Safety Recall been completed ?
( Link in my "Signature" below )

Cheers  :821:

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2020, 03:13:24 pm »
He just said the fuse for the main circuit.  I don't know if he mis-spoke, but no way he could have meant the main fuse to which you are referring.  Unless, I suppose, a very serious problem developed during the time it took for them to push the bike into the shop.  My wife seems to remember he said they put in another 20 amp fuse, but she isn't certain.

I don't remember receiving a recall notice from Triumph.  The bike has been at my former dealer a few times, but I don't know that they checked for or performed any recalls. 

Another question I thought of last night concerning the throttle body, is there any reason the clamp for the middle cylinder couldn't be rotated 180* so it was toward the front of the intake and easily accessible rather than buried at the bottom?

EDIT:  The recall was issued in the U.S. in April and the other dealer did not do it while the bike was there from June to September.  I just got off the phone with the other dealer and he said he thought the tech was finished with the electrical issue and was busy now working on the running issue.  He was aware of the recall and said it would be taken care of before they finished.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 03:51:55 pm by smash »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:48 pm »
I asked about teh Recall because if there was a broken wire ( or wires ) in the Ignition Switch
Wiring Loom ( which is what the Recall is all about ) and it was making intermittent contact,
that could well have resulted in all sorts of spurious DTC's being generated !

According to the Service Manual there are five 20 Amp fuses on the Trophy :

Headlight
Auxilliary Sockets
Cooling Fan
ABS ( Two x 20 Amp fuses )

The Clamps for the Throttle Body "Transition Pieces" are Part Number T1241705.

As you can see from the below Image it is a fairly standard type of clamp,
and as long as the protruding screw parts don't foul anything,
I can't see any reason not to rotate it to a more accessible position.

Cheers  :821:

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2020, 09:54:24 pm »
The last update is the electrical has been resolved.  They found a pinched wire near the tail light.

The rest sounds pretty ominous.  They asked permission to pull the head because cylinders 1 and 3 won't hold compression, and said they were contacting Triumph North America to see about covering the repairs out of warranty since it had been to another dealer for this issue under warranty.  Sounds to me like cracked pistons are a strong possibility.

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 06:35:44 pm »
The verdict is in....four burnt exhaust valves.  The tech and service manager believe the valves must have been adjusted far too tightly at the 20K service, as they wouldn't have expected to see that even if the valves hadn't been touched at all in 40K miles, which would make sense as the problem began shortly after that service.  All this time I've been thinking the other dealership didn't do the work, but it turns out they probably just did it wrong. 

Lesson learned, no hands other than mine will touch my bikes for maintenance ever again.   

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 06:39:54 pm »
Thanks for the update smash.

While not good news at least you now know what's wrong.

Is here any recourse against the Dealership that messed it up,
or any support from Triumph at all ?

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 07:25:36 pm »
*Originally Posted by smash [+]
no hands other than mine will touch my bikes for maintenance ever again.

I took that attitude myself many years ago now, wise move. :028: 

tweedy-bunch