Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Symmetry  (Read 3652 times)

Offline DaveB

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sittingbourne
Symmetry
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:37:27 PM »
Hi all,

For the last 6 months I've been riding an Explorer having come from a BMW K1600GT. I like a lot of things about the Explorer but hate its suspension or rather lack of it. In addition my riding priorities have changed in that I would also like more weather protection than it offers but that is really a secondary consideration. So, I find myself trying to decide if I should spend money on improving the Explorers suspension or just chuck in the towel with it and get a more suitable bike. To that end, and to aid in the decision I took a Trophy SE out for a few hours today and was very impressed. The engine and power train I love but in a much more road going, mile munching, comfortable package. I do though have a question which while I'm sure trivial to many would be very important to me and let me just preface it by saying I have an eye for symmetry.

On the Trophy there is this black molding that runs back to front of the tank and around the fuel filler. I believe it is for tank bag attachment as well as just looks. This effectively draws a line along the front/back centre line of the bike and yet on both Trophy's my dealer has this moulded piece is crooked and pointing to the right by some margin. If you can imagine the front of the piece near to where it meets the top yoke... the front of the moulded piece is about 5 to 10mm to the right of where it should be. As it crosses the tank, it is visibly to the right by other tank mouldings except that the fuel filler appears to be central to the hole.

I'm sure this must sound unbelievably pedantic to some, but to me it is a real eye sore and as I see Triumphs library pics show perfectly symmetrical bikes, I'm wondering if this is a common problem and is easily corrected or what?

The attached pic shows the problem to some extent...

Thanks for indulging me... any answers may clinch the deal  :002:
Dave
Volunteer rider for SERV Kent.

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
Re: Symmetry
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
Hi Dave and welome to the forum.

I've taken this part off to install the tank bag - and can confirm it's totally adjustable when you put it back on, so don't be put off

Andy

Offline DaveB

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sittingbourne
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »
Thank you for the answer... and sorry to continue being pedantic but I'd like to understand a little more.

Is the fuel filler part of the moulding or does the moulding just fit on top of the filler... Reason for asking... if I move the moulding sideways to make it central to other components such as the tank surrounds do I then make it off centre to the fuel filler? Or does it move all as one?

Hope that makes sense, it's just that those at my dealers are badly off centre.

Thank you.
Dave
Volunteer rider for SERV Kent.

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:33:24 PM »
Hi again

The moulding is seperate to the fuel filler - it's secured by four self tapping bolts (two by the handlebars and two under the seat) and has plenty of adjustment to make it symmetrical. Mine's fine now, although my first refit was well out of true.

Hope this helps

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:03:37 AM »
pedanticism aside, welcome to the forum :400:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline mototux

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:58:45 AM »
I'm sorry, I can't answer your question. But I believe that venomyellow did just perfectly.
In any case:  :401: to the forum!
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:07:59 AM »
I believe that venomyellow did just perfectly.

... almost ! - They are Stainless Steel Metric threaded bolts -
M5 x 0.8 x 16mm at the front,  and M5 x 08 x 20mm at the rear, not self tappers  :028:

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 08:40:54 AM »
welcome too  :002:
An old biker must be a good rider

tweedy-bunch