Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Honda ST1300 or Trophy SE?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline nysz1b

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: ATHENS
Honda ST1300 or Trophy SE?
« on: December 17, 2020, 10:27:13 pm »
Anyone out there go from a  Honda ST 1300 to the Trophy SE ( or vice-versa), and if so, your reasoning? Thanks!

Online Merlot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southampton
Re: Honda ST1300 or Trophy SE?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 11:40:59 pm »
Yep, we did with a Triumph Explorer in between.
The Honda, lovely, comfy, will go on forever but sadly never updated.  If you had/have an ST1300 and were to never ride another bike it would be all the bike you'd need.  However, others (Triumph Trophy SE specifically) had radios, heated seats, cruise control, bluetooth and electronic suspension that the Honda lacked.  There are workarounds sure but not out of the crate.  The Pan was just a pound or two heavier too and felt it, also the engine wasn't quite up there with the Triumph triple.  But then it was a decade older.  I always found Honda's silly fuel consumption display a waste of time.  What was it?  Litres per mile or something?  Never MPG.
The ST1300 was basically the same bike that rolled off the production line in 2002 or thereabouts and finished in 2015 (or whenever, but around there).  No real updates to speak of.  Exactly the same bike but beginning to look a little long in the tooth so to speak.
However, maintenance wise working on the valves was easier with that V-four and changing the air filter was an absolute doddle compared to the Trophy.  Ditto with the ST1100.
The Trophy though being newer is the the better bike.  More powerful, more agile and especially in SE trim more gadgets.  But if I was on a tight budget and couldn't afford a Trophy, an ST1300 it would be.

Offline nysz1b

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: ATHENS
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 01:10:16 am »
Thanks for the comments, Merlot!

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 03:36:48 pm »
I also Owned an ST1300 for a couple years. I could say that it was a typical bulletproof Honda, but as a matter of fact, it’s one of only two motorcycles to ever leave me stranded by the side of the road. After almost a month at the Dealership without a proper diagnosis, Honda finally sent a Factory Technician to check it out, and he ultimately decided that the cause was a faulty throttle position sensor, which was replaced under warranty. Prior to that experience, the only other bike to ever leave me stranded was a Harley-Davidson (no surprise there).

I don’t mean to infer from my experience that all ST1300s are unreliable, on the contrary, they have an excellent reputation. In my case, the combination of my lack of confidence in that bike was accompanied by the fact that I never bonded with it. It felt more like an appliance than a machine to me. It did everything it was supposed to do, but never stirred my Soul in the process.
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline baz1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 04:17:44 pm »
I had two ST1300 bikes over 10 years. The first one was without doubt the best bike I ever owned. The only changes  I did was to upgrade the suspension and have the seat modified by Tony Archer. Over 60000 miles all I had to do to it was the usual servicing tasks and change the tyres, nothing went wrong with them.  I only had the second bike for two years after which time I felt I needed a change so went to a  BMW GSA. I couldnt get on with the wind noise from the GSA so it had to go after 12 months. When it came to a replacemsnt, it was between another ST1300, the FJR 1300 and the Triumph. If I could have found a low mile ST1300, that would have been my first choice, but there just werent any out there. The wife didnt like the FJR so I managed to find a low mileage 2017 plate two years ago for a decent price.
I do like the Triumph its a great bike to ride, has some good accessories and the wife loves being pillion on it. However the Pan was easier to work on, the build quality/ finish  is far better in my view. I would not be confident taking the Triumph round Morocco like I did twice with the Pan. I also think that with the uprated suspension it handled far better than the Triumph does.

Online TrophyRider4

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Paw Paw, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 06:58:51 pm »
Hi.
I put more than 50,000 miles on an ST1300 (2007 model).  It is a very well behaved motorcycle.  It never left me stranded.  I went to a Kawasaki Concours 14, as I wanted ABS and Traction control, and modern farkles on my next bike.  I was very happy with the Concours 14, but a deer took me off from it last month and totaled it.  I have just purchased my Trophy SE, and don't have enough miles on it to have a really good opinion yet.  It is certainly more comfortable than the Concours 14.  The ST1300 was very uncomfortable with the stock seat.  I loved the machine, when i got a Corbin seat for it!  I could only ride about 10 to 15 minutes on it without getting saddle sore with the original seat.

Cheers :002:

Offline Mad Dog

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: R1250RT
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 09:27:31 am »
Initially owned  two ST1300's (the last being a 2009 model) before moving directly to a new 2013 Trophy.  Once I test rode the Triumph  I was hooked with the smoothness and rideability of the Trophy.

While the ST1300 was terrific reliable motorcycles  the newer design and technology showed through.  Of note my pillion in a million suffered from a sore back due to slipping forward while on the Honda due to the slope of the standard seat where this was not apparent on the Trophy, but with the pillion seat higher than the Honda made it a little more difficult to get on or off the motorcycle.

Performance wise I found the Trophy to have better fuel economy with similar performance. Weather protection is similar if not a little better on the trophy.

I would have rode in excess of 80K km on both Honda's and 79k km on the Trophy (in all weather conditions) with no issues with either manufacturer.

Just a few thoughts.
No such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing.

Offline Maxime

• Trophy Pro
  • trophy 1200se
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph trophy1200se
  • City / Town: Oostende
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 10:43:46 am »
Both are top bikes,but as earlier mentioned,the lack of gadgets is his problem.
Difference of a decade is verry noticiable.

Greetings