Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Gas gage and check engine light  (Read 2270 times)

• Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: San Diego
    Gas gage and check engine light
    on: Jan 07, 2021, 02.32 am
    Jan 07, 2021, 02.32 am
    Hi Everyone and I hope all are having a good year so far. I have had my 2014 TTSE for almost 2 weeks. Love the bike but... I have put less than 150 miles since purchase. It just passed 19000 total on the ODO. I put it into gear and the gas gage went to nothing (with more than 4 gallons left in the tank) the gas gage idiot light came on and the check engine light came on. I filled the bike up just to be sure. Took about 2.2 gallons and restarted and rode some more. Idiot lights on and Gas gage still showing nothing. It tracks miles gone. It tracks MPG. Is there a fuse for the gas gage? Would that be the only thing causing the Check Engine light? The dealership told me they put a new battery in before I picked up the bike so I don't think it's a bad battery and everything else seems to be fine.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    P.s. Is the TTSE a problem for electronic issues?
    Thanks again!

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9752

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Gas gage and check engine light
    Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07.46 am
    Jan 07, 2021, 07.46 am
    Hi,

Have a look at this Topic :

Servicing Data, Reference Info. & DTC ( Fault ) Codes

Scroll to Reply #8 "Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) / Fault Codes"

The Engine Check Light ( which Triumph call the "Malfunction Indicator Light" or "MIL" ),
    usually comes on when a Fault has been detected and stored in the ECU.

The above Topic gives information on how to display any stored DTC's on your Instrument Panel,
    and at the foot of the message is a link to download a document that explains the meaning
    of any DTC's you may have, along with other information.

The Trophy isn't particularly renowned for electronic issues, but can of course be affected,
    just like any other device.  Noting that the Dealer says they they changed the Battery
    makes me wonder if they previously allowed it to drain - which in itself can cause some
    electronic issues if they tried to start the engine and failed. 
    Commonly a DTC of P1698 ( 5 volt sensor supply circuit malfunction ) can appear, along with others.

Check for any DTC's on your Trophy as above - make a note of any ( better still take a Photo ),
    as in the case of an intermittent fault, DTC's might be erased after a certain number of "no fault" starts.

There is no separate Fuse for the Fuel gauge.

I would then recommend switching off the Ignition and waiting for a couple of minutes to allow
    all of the electronics to fully shut down, then disconnect the Main Battery. 

If you can have the Battery professionally tested that may show up any issues with it
    ( they can be prone to failure if they have previously been allowed to discharge
    and I have known of supposedly Brand New batteries being faulty ! ).

Check the Main Battery voltage is good and then reconnect it and start the engine.

The process of disconnecting and reconnecting the Main Battery has been reported
    by some Members as curing some electronic "glitches".

Note that the Fuel Gauge WILL show zero "bars" at first - this is normal after disconnecting the Battery.
    Note also that after refuelling, the Fuel Gauge takes a few  minutes before correctly registering
    the new level, as explained on Page 34 of the Owners Handbook :
    After refuelling, the fuel gauge and range to empty information will be updated only while
    riding the motorcycle. Depending on the riding style, updating could take up to five minutes.

Hopefully the Fuel Gauge will start to work correctly after this, however it is also possible
    that the Fuel Level sender within the Fuel Tank may be faulty, which a few members have experienced.

Let us know how you get on.  :028:

Afterthought : Have you checked that you have the latest Version of Audio Software
    which fixes an issue with the orginal version that could result in the Main Battery being drained ? 
    Copied from a previous Topic:
    The earlier version 1.04A for the US & Canadian Market ( with XM Satellite Radio )
    had a bug that intermittently prevented the Audio system from closing down fully
    when the Ignition was switched OFF, causing the main motorcycle battery to drain.

To check this on your Trophy, Turn the Ignition ON,
    and make sure the Radio is OFF by pressing the Volume Down button
    repeatedly until it says RADIO OFF.

Turn the Ignition OFF, and then back ON - wait until RADIO OFF is displayed,
    then press and hold the "P" Button to get the Diagnostics screen, and select S/W Version.

It gives two lines of information :
    "RADIO SW 1.04E"
    "BB SW 0.17A"

IGNORE the "BB SW 0.17A"

If you have "RADIO SW 1.04A", you need to have it updated by a Dealer to Version 1.04E.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 07, 2021, 07.59 am by Coconut

• Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2021, 02.38 pm
    Jan 07, 2021, 02.38 pm
    Thank you Coconut. I'll let you know how it goes. I appreciate it!  :001:

• Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2021, 01.13 am
    Jan 08, 2021, 01.13 am
    Coconut, So I was able to check the DTC's on my bike. It showed two. The one you mentioned, P1698 and P0460 which is a Fuel Level circuit malfunction which says after fixing it needs to be cleared by an ECM. Is that something that has to happen at a dealership?
    Also I have Radio version SW 1.03A so not even the 4A. I have an appointment at the dealership next week. Hopefully they can do something.
    Thank you for your help! :001:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9752

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07.53 am
    Jan 08, 2021, 07.53 am
    Hi again,

Please have a read of this Topic, where the same problem was discussed :

Fuel gauge shows 0 bars and Miles to Empty shows 0 miles

There are two potential solutions for you.

The first is, after ensuring the Main Battery is fully charged and in Good Condition
    to disconnect the Battery, leave it disconnected for half an hour or so
    to ensure all circuits have fully shut down and discharged, then reconnect it.

That has been found by some Members to cure some electronic "gremlins" caused by low battery voltage.

It could be however, that your Fuel Level Sender is faulty -
    The above topic gives details of some electrical tests that can be performed,
    but the second option might need the Fuel Level Sender Unit to be replaced.

I'm not sure what you mean by : "....after fixing it needs to be cleared by an ECM" ?
    Most DTC's are retained in the ECM Memory until the fault has been fixed.
    They can then either be erased directly using Diagnostic equipment connected to the Trophy,
    such as by the Dealer, or after market equipment and software such as DealerTool or TigerTool,
    which will extinguish the MIL Light, or the MIL Light will extinguish after there have been
    3 "No Fault" start ups, ad the  DTC will be erased from Memory after 40 "No Fault" start ups.

You may find that after completing the Battery disconnection as above,
    that your MIL Light and DTC's will be resolved without further intervention.

However :

In light of the software version on your Trophy I would strongly suspect,
    with fingers crossed, that these DTC's were generated as a result of low battery voltage,
    and you MUST get the software updated as a priority.  :169:

In the meantime I would pull the Fuse for the Audio system to prevent any further Battery drainage
    that could leave you stranded - On my  Trophy it's Fuse No.3 ( 10A ) of the forward Fusebox
    behind the left Side Panel - the one with the little Music note symbol.

If the Dealer you bought the Trophy from was an official Triumph Dealership,
    then they should have known about the Audio Software update,
    and especially after having had to fit a new battery, should have investigated,
    found the outdated software and updated it before selling it to you.
    You would have a good case for asking them, as a minimum, to update it free of charge,
    and if the latest Battery has been affected by being drained again, to replace it again - on their dime !

Several Members have reported their US dealers being unable to locate
    the Software update files on their systems  !   :138:  - This Topic explains where to find it ! :

Where Triumph dealers can find audio software updates (U.S.)

If you have any problems getting the Dealer to do this, or they want to charge
    a stupid amount of $$$'s, send me a Private Message and I can give you further information.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro  ‐    341

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02.20 pm
    Jan 08, 2021, 02.20 pm
    I just looked at my Service Manual and there is not any info on what type of sensor the fuel level sensor is.  Most fuel level sensors are a simple variable resistance float types, but some are not.

I'm going to measure mine today for reference and then make another post of what I find.

If I had this problem, I would first check the connector located on the left side and measure the resistance and check the wires going to the connector on both ends. Maybe I'll take a pic too.

About the only troubleshooting the manual does is measure the resistance of the wires between the sensor connector and ECU

UPDATE:   It looks like the sensor is a resistance type.  I'm reading about 100 Ohms with a partially filled tank.  Also "looking" back toward the ECU with the connector disconnected ( of course ) and the battery disconnected, I'm reading just less than 2k Ohms with my digital meter, both "polarities" , or either way I connected the meter leads to the connector.

I didn't take a pic - the connector is on the left side , right next to the relay "pack' on the left side of the bike.  You can access that area by removing the plastic up high adjacent to the left side of the seat, after the seats are removed.

My bet is on the connector / wires.  But if it turns out to be the sensor, I would remove it and check for a bad connection / broken connection on the sensor assembly.  To remove the sensor, the gas tank must be removed.
    Last Edit: Jan 08, 2021, 03.07 pm by STJIM
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014 ; SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02.38 pm
    Jan 08, 2021, 02.38 pm
    Thank you Coconut and STJIM. This board is a wonderful thing! Coconut you are helping me keep very happy about my new bike instead of freaking out about all the lights coming on the dash. I'll try your suggestions today when I get home. STJIM I had a '93 ST1100 for 12 years. Wonderful bike. I'm hoping my '14 TTSE is the same... if it will quit sending out MIL lights.  :001:

• Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro  ‐    341

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03.02 pm
    Jan 08, 2021, 03.02 pm
    My old ST1100 clicked over 100K miles in September during the IBA SS3K ride I and two others Riders did.  It ran grat during that ride.  I'll be selling it in the spring.

Then I bought the TTSE and I like it as much as the old ST, especially the cruise control.  I hope it's as comfortable as the ST is on LD rides.  I expect it to be reliable - maybe not as much as the ST because it does have more electronics. But the electronics today on cars is pretty reliable, so I'm expecting the same with the TTSE.  My buddy has a '13 1200 Explorer with 50K miles on the clock and he hasn't had a problem with it ( yet ).
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014 ; SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

tweedy-bunch