Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Comparing Trophy se with FJR 11300  (Read 5260 times)

Offline FNaRK

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: Delft
Re: Comparing Trophy se with FJR 11300
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 03:40:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by jaapvanthoff [+]

Just brought her this week to the dealer for her 30.000 km service.
The first big service after 16.000 km, which is only oil change.
Just get the invoice, still a lot od moany, but no serious things.

Hi Jaap
from Rotterdam :-)
where did you took your bike for service ?

Offline Drphil

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TSE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 07:17:23 pm »
Hi,
   I had a 2002 FJR which was ok but the TTSE handles better in the twisty stuff, and I feel more relaxed at high speeds, the build quality is on a par. Better luggage toys!
The adjustable screen on its highest setting caused a strange effect similar to a invisible hand pushing you forward...odd!Im 6ft.
 The TTSE requires forward planning when manoeuvre time in the garage,just eat 3 shredded wheat for breakfast. BTW Mention lower linkage bearings to a FJR owner and watch him/ her froth at the mouth....
   Cheers.

Offline Wanderer67

• Trophy Member
  • Life is what happens when you're planning rides
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Diego
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 05:05:49 am »
I rode an FJR a few times for a test ride. Before my TTSE I had a '91 ST1100. As much as what everyone is talking about to manuever around a garage I find my TTSE extremely easy to move around. I can turn the bike around in 3 points in my garage. Today I parked into a downhill incline and it was quite easy for me to pull it back out and get back on the rode. Compared to the ST (and I thought the FJR heavier) it's easy to manipulate without power. It's very balanced, comparably.

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
  • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 03:41:46 pm »
When I decided to purchase a Sport tourer last year there were several bikes I looked at, one of them the FJ.
The difference between the Trophy and FJ, imo, the Trophy was built from the ground up as a Sport-Touring bike, where the FJ is a Sportbike with panniers added (nothing wrong with that, if that's what your looking for)! :028:

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 02:36:01 pm »
The FJR was a clean-sheet sport touring bike design from the ground up. There isn't a thing about it that is 'a sportbike with panniers added.' No idea where that comes from but it simply isn't true.

Reliability: In any case, both bikes are reliable. As a very happy Trophy owner, I will say that anyone trying to say that a Trophy is as reliable as an FJR is smoking their own product. The FJR is among the very most reliable bikes ever sold to the public, ever. Like any bike, if you put enough miles on it, eventually you'll find something to pay attention to, and FJRs are no different. But general reliability: even though the Trophy is solid, the FJR wins and it's not really close.

Handling. Despite the extra size and weight, the Trophy is the better bike in the twisties imo. The FJR originally had absolutely terrible suspension and a comically tiny amount of ground clearance. The last couple gens have vastly better suspension and improved clearance, but neither is as good as the Trophy. Also, the Trophy chassis has a much more composed, put-together feel when pushed. I've ridden both pretty hard, and even the newest FJRs will start to come unglued a bit when leaned on. The Trophy remains in 'is that all you got?' mode well beyond a pace that I'm typically willing to ride on a public road.

Comfort: Trophy wins. It's bigger, more room, better protection, more features. This isn't really a criticism of the FJR; it's just that the Trophy was built as a luxury touring bike, and the FJR was not. If you prefer a bit more air and less weight, the FJR might be for you. If outright comfort is king for you, it's really not a contest.

Motor: The FJR is more powerful and lighter, so don't get into a drag race for money. But, the Triumph motor is among the best powerplants ever to grace a motorcycle. It manages that rare feat of being both full of character and ultra smooth at the same time. And, while it's down on HP from the FJR, it has a flat, broad torque curve that masks this deficit considerably. The fact is that both motors are very good in this use, and both are considerably more powerful than needed in the role. Both are plenty, Trophy is smother, sounds better, and is more 'fun' imo.

Overall: There is no 'this one is better' here. The Trophy is bigger and heavier, and more comfortable and more fully featured. But, not everyone likes that. In size and profile when you ride it, the FJR feels much smaller and sportier, despite my comments about aggressive riding performance. One notable Trophy loss in this contest is that it feels very top-heavy in parking lot/driveway/garage situations. I'm 6'3" 280, and even so it is a minor miracle that I've not dumped it over yet. I nearly do so at least once a month.

Verdict: you don't see an FJR in my garage. right?  :)

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
  • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 01:45:51 pm »
Always great to hear different "Opinions". Never said the FJR was unreliable!

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 03:12:03 pm »
One thing I forgot to mention is that the seating position is more relaxed on the FJR, having both higher bars and lower pegs that are a bit farther forward v. the Trophy. Both are very comfortable imo, but it is a difference.

Offline Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
  • City / Town: Apeldoorn
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 09:09:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by FNaRK [+]
Hi Jaap
from Rotterdam :-)
where did you took your bike for service ?

Jaap is probably doing :180:
 :164:

Henk