Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Comparing Trophy se with FJR 11300  (Read 5362 times)

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
Re: Comparing Trophy se with FJR 11300
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 06:46:40 pm »
*Originally Posted by dietDrThunder [+]
One thing I forgot to mention is that the seating position is more relaxed on the FJR, having both higher bars and lower pegs that are a bit farther forward v. the Trophy. Both are very comfortable imo, but it is a difference.

Having never ridden an FJR (tried to get a demo early last year, but it got cancelled due to covid) I would have assumed the opposite was true.  Interesting piece of info. Thank you for sharing that.
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Online thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wasilla
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 11:34:19 pm »
There's a small difference in layout, and for me it was the opposite - the FJR felt tighter in the knees and slightly more leaned forward.

For me, the only real comparison to the Trophy was the BMW RT - the FJR, Concours and Honda ST were all more of a sport-bike style bike, just with more relaxed ergonomics, and no cruise/radio/etc. The BMW and Trophy are much more touring-oriented (radio/XM/etc) and the motors had more character. I'm very happy with the Trophy, and if I was to have to replace it I don't know where I'd lean - the BMW is great but oh-so-pricey, while everything else is lacking something in the comfort area. Probably end up with the FJR just to get the reliability, unless the Concours adds cruise.

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 12:37:09 am »
The FJR is a longer reach by a little. What I said was that the bars are higher than the Trophy. If you get a chance to sit on them back to back you can see what I'm referring to.

Regarding the pegs, if you check cycle-ergo.com you can see that the knee angle on the FJR is 76, and on the Trophy it's 79, meaning that the Trophy is slightly roomier...my memory failed me on that one :)

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 01:11:06 am »
*Originally Posted by thogland [+]
There's a small difference in layout, and for me it was the opposite - the FJR felt tighter in the knees and slightly more leaned forward.

For me, the only real comparison to the Trophy was the BMW RT - the FJR, Concours and Honda ST were all more of a sport-bike style bike, just with more relaxed ergonomics, and no cruise/radio/etc. The BMW and Trophy are much more touring-oriented (radio/XM/etc) and the motors had more character. I'm very happy with the Trophy, and if I was to have to replace it I don't know where I'd lean - the BMW is great but oh-so-pricey, while everything else is lacking something in the comfort area. Probably end up with the FJR just to get the reliability, unless the Concours adds cruise.

I was kind of casually looking at an R1200RT shortly before I got the Trophy - I prefer the more touring oriented setup of the RT and Trophy, but mostly considering the FJR as a potential future Trophy replacement (hopefully never needed) due to price/reliability.  Never ridden a Concours either, but from what I've read, handling/composure wise, Trophy > FJR > Concours. I'm more interested in that, as the extra power on the Concours will only get me in trouble. 
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline Trophyed-Up

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chesapeake Va.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 03:06:17 am »
I've put some miles on my buddy's FJR.  Nice bike.  Very smooth and good power.  Fun ride.  The handle bars are narrow and require a good bit more force to make things happen compared to SE.  The pegs feel higher and with a bit more bend in the knees.  My SE has lowered pegs which makes this even more evident.  The SE is more comfortable and handles better.  The SE has a lot more bells and whistles.  The SE is a machine that stands out more as something you don't see every day.  The SE is more expensive to maintain, especially if you don't do your own maintenance.  Triumph dealers are few and far between.  The FJR is a bullet proof machine with a hell of a lot more dealer and parts support.  I prefer the SE but the FJR is a fine bike. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:10:47 am by Trophyed-Up »

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 03:20:39 pm »
Pics for comparison :

IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 03:27:16 pm »
Yep that's where I looked. Note though that many of the bikes in there aren't properly rendered re: seating position.

To wit, look where the guy on the FJR is sitting v. where the guy on the Trophy is sitting. The FJR guy's butt is considerably farther back, creating much of that forward lean. I'm not saying that there isn't any forward lean, but it's not nearly as much as in that pic.

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 03:27:50 pm »
*Originally Posted by dietDrThunder [+]
One thing I forgot to mention is that the seating position is more relaxed on the FJR, having both higher bars and lower pegs that are a bit farther forward v. the Trophy. Both are very comfortable imo, but it is a difference.

DrThunder :

Where did you get the peg lowering kit ?

JV
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

tweedy-bunch