Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: UK MOT change - LED headlamps  (Read 459 times)

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
UK MOT change - LED headlamps
« on: January 13, 2021, 10:21:30 am »
I'm grateful to Kevin Barrett in another Trophy group (which I can't mention according to the rules of this forum  :002:) advising:

Updated MOT - LED conversion now MOT fail.
4.1.4. Compliance with requirements
“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: UK MOT change - LED headlamps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 01:51:20 pm »
Thanks for posting. :028:

Offline Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
  • City / Town: Apeldoorn
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 07:56:23 pm »
There must be a reason for it !

Henk

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 10:16:27 pm »
"There must be a reason for it !" ......  :169:

Here goes ! ......

LED Vehicle lighting technology is still evolving, and there are MANY variants
advertised as being "equivalent" - e.g. "H4 Equivalent".

The reason behind why LED equivalent bulbs are not "Road Legal" when used in
a Headlamp originally designed to be fitted with, for example, an "H4" Tungsten Halogen bulb,
requires an appreciation of Headlamp and Bulb design and certification.

The Trophy has "H4" Tungsten Halogen bulbs fitted.

"H4" are a common and standardised type of twin filament Headlamp bulb.
They are often marked to indicate they comply with a certain standard,
e.g. "CE" ( European Conformity ).

H4 "CE" certified bulbs have been manufactured to a certain standard, to ensure consistency
in their manufacture and light output.  One aspect of the design is the precise positioning of the two
Tungsten Halogen filaments. ( One for "Dipped" Beam, and one for "Main" Beam ).

Similarly, Headlamp Units into which the Bulbs are fitted have been designed, tested and certified
for use with a specific type of bulb - such as the "H4" and will be marked as such.

The design of the Headlamp Unit and Reflector ensures that a consistent Beam Pattern is produced,
complying with various Reulations - when used with the certified bulb type.
That precise positioning of the Bulb filament, in conjunction with the Reflector
and Lensing design is what produces the specific Beam Pattern.

You may have noticed, if you have ever fitted a Headlamp bulb incorrectly,
that the position only needs to be just a little out, to have a drastic effect on the Beam pattern.

The problem(s) with LED Bulbs, is that there are many different variants - claiming to be,
for example, "H4 equivalent".  What this actually means is that an LED Bulb has been built
onto an H4 base, so that it will physically fit into the Headlamp Unit.

The actual LED's of the bulb, and there may be many of them, are not precislely positioned
with the LED(s) in exactly the same position, or are not restricted to only occupy the same position,
as is occupied by the certified / standardised H4 Tungsten Halogen bulb filaments.

The slightly different size / positioning of the LED's can result in the Headlamp Unit
Reflector /Lensing producing  a Beam Pattern that does not comply with Regulations,
and that could be dazzling to other motorists.

Until such a time that LED headlamp bulb technology evolves further,
and manufacturers work together to produce an LED equivalent bulb to a common standard,
that can be tested and certified as an acceptable ( to the Authorities ) "equivalent",
then they will not ( at least in the UK ) ever be Road Legal, when used in a Headlamp Unit
designed to be fitted with Tungsten Halogen bulbs.

New vehicles ARE now being fitted - legally - with LED Headlamps - where the Headlamp Unit
AND the LED bulb have been been designed, tested and certified for use with each other.

Offline Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
  • City / Town: Apeldoorn
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 11:12:13 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
"There must be a reason for it !" ......  :169:

Here goes ! ......

LED Vehicle lighting technology is still evolving, and there are MANY variants
advertised as being "equivalent" - e.g. "H4 Equivalent".

The reason behind why LED equivalent bulbs are not "Road Legal" when used in
a Headlamp originally designed to be fitted with, for example, an "H4" Tungsten Halogen bulb,
requires an appreciation of Headlamp and Bulb design and certification.

The Trophy has "H4" Tungsten Halogen bulbs fitted.

New vehicles ARE now being fitted - legally - with LED Headlamps - where the Headlamp Unit
AND the LED bulb have been been designed, tested and certified for use with each other.

I bought a Volkswagen California 6.1 of March '20; all of the lighting is LED. The color may be very white/brite but comparing the output with that of my Trophy, I can not say the latest LED-technology in my campervan is better than in my '14 Trophy. :187:
Well, lifetime may be better.

Henk

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 11:45:06 pm »
From what I've seen personally I don't have great desire for LED headlights.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 07:39:46 am »
*Originally Posted by Ebenezer [+]
I bought a Volkswagen California 6.1 of March '20; all of the lighting is LED. The color may be very white/brite but comparing the output with that of my Trophy, I can not say the latest LED-technology in my campervan is better than in my '14 Trophy. :187:
Well, lifetime may be better.

Henk

That's interesting, what you say about the power output,...a few years back now BMW cars seem to have some really blindingly powerful lights fitted, think those were HID though.

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 04:50:04 pm »
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
From what I've seen personally I don't have great desire for LED headlights.

I’ve got OEM LED lighting on my R1200GS, and I think it’s fantastic.
I have yet to have any oncoming driver flash me at any time, and the light pattern produces excellent visibility of the road ahead. With that said, vehicle lighting technology is progressing at a fascinating pace, with Companies like Audi now incorporating Lazer Technology in their high beams. It won’t be long and Halogen, HID, and Projector beam headlights will be a thing of the past.

As regarding aftermarket LED Headlight bulbs, I agree with Coconut’s assessment that the issues aren’t with the concept, but with the execution. I am a self proclaimed “motorcycle visibility nut”, and have added aftermarket LED bulbs to my Trophy, simply for the added visibility they offer to oncoming traffic. The beam pattern of the LEDs are not nearly as focused as the OEM Halogen bulbs. I therefore have my headlights adjusted to their lowest possible setting, and in so doing, knowingly don’t provide adequate lighting of my driving path after dark. I am willing to make that trade-off because I very rarely ride at night these days.
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

tweedy-bunch