Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: I'm back  (Read 543 times)

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
I'm back
« on: January 14, 2021, 12:16:55 pm »
Not that you noticed but I have not been on the forum for ages.   Logged on this morning and realised how much I've missed not checking in each day.  It's good to be back among intelligent folk who only post sensible, informative messages. 

The reason for my absence is that I bought a Bonne T120 in 2019 and my time / passion has been taken up with the new bike, silly me.   :125:

But I am currently thinking about touring Norway in June 2021, assuming we get a travelling all-clear,  and my thoughts naturally returned to the Trophy.  My plan would be to travel Dover / Calais or Harwich / Hook of Holland then ride up through Germany, Denmark and catch a ferry to Norway.   that's where the plans grind to a halt.  Where to go, what to see???  I am undecided between hotel or camping, and would consider  hostels.  I'll be riding solo but will probably only be doing 200 to 300 miles a day.  I like to get to a destination early enough to have a look round and a few beers.   :821: If I can afford them :745:

I've not been to Norway by bike before and know very little of the place.  If anyone has any suggestions / recommendation I'd be happy to hear them.  Of course the while trip might have to be deferred until 2022. 

Phil

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: I'm back
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 04:32:39 pm »
You are in for a treat.  I have travelled extensively in Norway and say it's like Scotland but on Steroids!

How long have you got to play with?

The bucket list destination is of course Nordkapp.

The Norwegians holiday in the Lofoten Islands and there is a great biking road called the King Olaf Highway.

Laerdal Tunnel is another great sight to see a 26km long tunnel.  It has three truck turnaround chambers that have lighting like a sunrise to get over the monotony of tunnel riding.

I like the https://www.fjordnorway.com/things-to-do/sognefjellet-national-tourist-route-p877623 out of Bergen heading North East.

You can stay in cabins easily on campsites called Heuters (sp) https://www.switchbacktravel.com/norway/public-huts

Norway is expensive especially alcohol so take half the gear you think you need and twice the money!

Norwegians as a people like the British because of how we helped them in WW2.

Enjoy and I hope this pesky plaque allows you to travel.
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 07:06:51 pm »
Sounds like you are in for a real treat!!!  ALWAYS good information here on just about any area in the world! :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 09:13:22 pm »
Dave,

classic information, Thanks. I will sit down to digest properly tomorrow.  I am very lucky, as my time on these sort of trips is endless, I retired some time ago and usually tell the wife I've block booked a couple of months.  Then it up to the weather, money and enthusiasm as to how long I spend on the road.  If all is well I'll use the whole two months.  If the weather, money or enthusiasm runs out then I'll cut short and head home.  have a feeling the money will run out in Norway before my enthusiasm. 

I was already excited about the trip but your input has heighten my desire to get going.  Thanks.   :028:

Ill keep you all informed how I get on, assuming that it happens at all.
Phil

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 09:20:04 am »
Hi Phil
Welcome back
I first went to Norway in 1982 on my Guzzi Spada and the prices then were expensive.
Next time was 2013 on my new Trophy and 3 of us went up to the Nordkapp via Sweden and Finland, then down via the Atlantic Highway and Fjords. 8 days of rain and stayed in camping huts as hotels were very expensive. So is food and beer so we only had a couple each night. A sunday lunch buffet for 3 was £95, but it was as much as you could eat!
We were restricted to a friend only being able to get 2 weeks off work but it was doable. Certainly a once in a lifetime trip and fantastic too. People are great, scenery fantastic butt it is a long way! We were on the E4 and the sat nav said "turn left in 200 miles". I think we did about 5000 miles.
In 2014 a friend asked my opinion of the trip and I told him, which spurred him on to go. Remember me saying "once in a lifetime"?
Different 3 of us and 3 weeks this time. Across Poland up through Lithuania and Estonia. Called at the Joey memorial in Tallin then across to Helsinki. Up the Finnish/Russian border to the Nordkapp and down the west coast and Fjords again. The weather was brilliant this time but it was still expensive!
We did about 7500 miles, then my mate Tom (who was on a 250 Yamaha scooter) went to central France to see his brother whilst we came home.
The Nordkapp is nice to go to, but a long slog. Atlantic highway is brilliant as is the Trollstigen pass (bet I've spelt that wrong). Fjords are great for the roads and scenery. Plenty of Tirpitz history and the Norwegians are still very grateful for our efforts in the war. Just get the map out and plan what you wish to see.
I guarantee you will enjoy it