Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 'I' button not functioning  (Read 687 times)

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
'I' button not functioning
« on: January 16, 2021, 07:28:52 pm »
Turns out my 'I' button on the left hand cube under the radio buttons is not working.  Found out when I went to adjust the headlamp angle and adjust the clock.

On my Goldwing (GL1500) when I had it, it was a maintenance thing to annually spray a bunch of electrical contact cleaner, WD40 or equivalent in the switches because over time rain/dust/etc would gunk up the switch.

Assuming it is the same thing?  I tried to pull DTC's a month or so ago and it took a dozen tries, probably because this button was not doing it's thing.

So, have any of y'all had luck just sticking the red pipe on the aerosol can against the crack of the switch, take them off the bars to access, what?
Year round rider here!

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
Re: 'I' button not functioning
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 01:56:17 am »
Don't use regular WD40, use an electrical contact cleaner.  My local ACE Hardware stocks the CRC brand.

WD does make a contact cleaner, but that isn't what most people mean when they refer to "WD40".

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:00:39 am by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 02:07:41 am »
I have a can of the same contact cleaner. On the 'Wings different folks used different products.

Just wondering if others have had this issue and whether the cube had to come off to clean it or if they had good luck shooting it in the side of the switch.

It's what I get I suppose for being a four season rider. 34 k now! Not bad for a bit over 4 years and no touring. Yet.
Year round rider here!

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:11:44 pm »
The one in the photo is the one that electronics professionals use.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 05:28:26 pm »
Took the cube apart and used contact cleaner. No dice. Not being able to change settings, headlight, clock, etc makes my minor OCD go crazy, but I have too much other stuff going on to take the time to disassemble the bike at this time. Bike is about to tick over 35k, so am thinking of doing a valve adjustment check prior to 40k, this summer, and replace it then with the ebay unit I bought.
Also I decided to run this air filter for 20k- a 10k interval just seems way to frequent. Have 15k on it now, running perfect power and economy wise.
Just gotta buy plugs, gasket, seals, ...
Year round rider here!

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 06:26:56 pm »
The problem may not be the switch in the cube.  Do you have an Ohmmeter to check the continuity of the switch ?

You could possibly have a bad connection across connectors, or a broken or chewed-up wire, etc.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 06:28:32 pm by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 07:07:08 pm »
Yes, always possible. All the other buttons are working. Same situation though- the wires go behind the fuel tank so it will have to wait until I take the whole bike apart. Not sure you can back-probe that switch though because of weatherproofing attempts by the factory. The switch itself is fully encased. That was one of the issues I had when I tried the first repair is I didn't know how to disassemble it to get at the wires.
Year round rider here!

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 08:54:28 pm »
To the cables inside the pineapple, you can perfectly access and check their condition, even put some clean spray intact.

I do not know exactly if it is only that the I button is failing or there is some other button that is failing.

In any case, to access button I, as you can see in the photo, there is no difficulty in reaching it.

In any case, if the fault is in the cable itself, once you have reached its connector with its 11 cables, you must remove the pineapple and access the cables that go to the I button and thus check its impedance.

But it could be that the cable or cables are damaged by stretching due to maneuvering with the handlebar.

With little luck, it may be that the connector or button I itself is sulphated due to inclement weather or proximity to the sea, sea ports, etc.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 08:56:06 pm by digital »
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.