Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Best windshield to eliminate blowback?  (Read 962 times)

Offline bpreynolds2

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Louisville KY
Best windshield to eliminate blowback?
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:00:14 pm »
Just got my Trophy about 3 weeks ago and greatly enjoying the bike.  This being said, while the stock screen is great in general, but when elevated on the highway creates a decent bit of blowback that while not a deal breaker, can get kind of annoying.  Understanding that windshield opinions are nearly asking what is the best oil to use, I will still put in this inquiry here.  Iíve done some research already and most everything Iíve found out the board here says Calsci or Vstream but which one seems best for getting rid of the blowback?  Or maybe thereís another one that hasnít come up in my searches already?  Any input appreciated.  From my previous experience with many other bikes over the years I can almost guarantee the issue with the stock one, at least for me, is the inability to adjust for rake and instead of moving backwards a bit when you elevate it, it actually moves up and forward a little which on other bikes Iíve owned has usually created that blowback whereas if I can the top of the shield tilted and closer to me, Iíve always been able to get rid of it on other machines.  But anyhow, thatís just my sidebar opinion.  Really just interested here in what others think is the best shield to use to get rid of this. 

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
Re: Best windshield to eliminate blowback?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 09:49:19 pm »
I have fitted the largest V-Stream Touring screen. I don't have problems with, as you put it, blow-back. Wife loves it in the fully raised position which she says gives her no buffeting at all.  :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 10:39:40 pm »
I have had Cal Sci's on two different bikes, the R1200RT and the Trophy and find it to be a good solution.  Member Saddle Tramp has had multiple Cal Sci's and is a firm believer from what he's told me.  There are instructions on the website on how to measure for the proper height to order.  You can always trim/have trimmed the taller one, but you can't make the shorter one any taller - without a lighter wallet that is.  In hot weather (South Texas for instance), you will definitely notice that they create a less turbulent pocket.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 03:56:27 pm »
In my experience, the cut-out that CalSci places in each of their Windscreens helps to minimize back pressure as the screen is raised. With that said, the effectiveness of any screen becomes reduced after it has been raised beyond a certain point, because air begins to infiltrate from below the screen. As Trophied mentioned, CalSci has an elaborate sizing chart on their website which helps to determine the right size for you. My personal preference is to be able to see just above the top edge with the screen fully stowed. That way, raising the screen just a few inches gives full protection in either heavy rain, wind, or cold conditions.

If you give California Scientific a call, Mark will happily assist you in the decision making process.  :821:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wasilla
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 05:30:35 pm »
I have the large CalSci on my Trophy. It give nice smooth airflow, but also allows me to leave it almost completely lowered and get the same weather protection as the stock one offers when raised 2-4", so much less disturbed air. I stopped by when they were based in Sacramento and talked to Mark etc. in person - great people.

Offline bpreynolds2

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 07:10:22 pm »
I appreciate the good responses here and I will certainly take them into consideration.  I am, however, a little more interested in the opinions of those who have experienced the blowback Iím describing with the stock screen and which screen eliminated this for them.  I probably should have stated this a little more clearly in my initial post.  Iím sure folks here who swear there is no blowback with the CalSci or others are obviously just being truthful and sharing good information; yet, Iíve found opinions in general about windshields are really subjective. I guess Iím more interested in hearing from folks on here who have experienced the blowback Iím describing and what shield remedied it. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:11:55 pm by bpreynolds2 »

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 08:42:01 pm »
I think you can probably assume that those who switched windscreens did it for a reason such as the turbulence you mentioned. If what you are describing as "blowback" isn't turbulence, then you need to better describe what you are looking for.
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline bpreynolds2

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 09:04:39 pm »
*Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp [+]
I think you can probably assume that those who switched windscreens did it for a reason such as the turbulence you mentioned. If what you are describing as "blowback" isn't turbulence, then you need to better describe what you are looking for.
With all due respect  :002: I think you may need to define turbulence better.   :001:
Iíll try and better explain here.  Maybe I have the definition wrong but I mainly associate turbulence with wind in front of you moving to the rear, the kind that causes buffeting and so forth.  And yes, while most people change their windshield for a good reason, itís more often because the shield is creating unwanted forces bouncing/pushing your head, shoulders, arms, etc. backwards from the handlebars.  Iím describing something quite the opposite.  I say blowback because Iím specifically speaking of air behind you pushing you forward.  Itís mentioned often in other windshield threads here and with some good feedback there but Iím mainly just hoping for some folks who had this with the stock screen and it was eliminated with a different one.  Again, windshield opinions are very highly subjective so when someone here tells me his aftermarket shield is just perfect, well it probably is for him; however, Iím not sure how greatly that would apply to me per se.  But if someone here is experiencing the blowback enough to annoy them as it does me, then I might be more interested in that opinion.  For me personally, with the stock screen there doesnít seem to be any happy medium at speeds of 70 or more; keeping it lowered buffets my head and shoulders too much and raising higher to get rid of this produces unwanted blowback from behind me.  Hope this helps a little for anyone reading this thread who has not fallen asleep already.   :153:

tweedy-bunch