Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Love New Tires, Hate Researching and Buying Them  (Read 5059 times)

Online Yaga1973

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
Love New Tires, Hate Researching and Buying Them
« on: January 22, 2021, 06:29:10 pm »
Just a conversation starter and me rambling, not really looking for a question answered.  At least not yet, anyway.  :008:  Any input is welcomed, of course.   

Unfortunately, on my last ride I picked up a screw in the back tire with only 1044 miles on the clock - boo!  Being that I have a tire road hazard warranty, the fact my tires were manufactured in Jan 2016, and I ride two up with my kiddos on a regular basis, replacement tires front and back are in order.  I tend to overanalyze things to death, read way too many forums, and watch too many videos - sometimes resulting in paralysis by analysis.  Fortunately, I managed to stay on target this time around and believe I've made up my mind.  I sure do love new tires, but I hate the whole process before getting to ride on them.

So the big multi-day research began and I narrowed it down to Michelin Road 5 GT, Pirelli Angel GT II A Spec, and Dunlop Roadsmart III (or IV).  Below is about the shortest summary I could come up with:

Having never owned an actual sport or sport touring motorcycle, I probably don't push my Trophy as hard as many others do - yet.  I'm not afraid to lean it over and I know most modern tires will perform when pushed, but I'm still learning the limits of my Trophy and how much more capable of a machine it is than all of my past scoots.  And even though I haven't scraped the pegs yet, one of these days I'm sure that I will (in a controlled environment first, such as an ERC course).  While I've had some questionable experiences with Michelins on my automotive applications in the past and steer away from them for those applications, I've never had any of their motorcycle tires but I've heard lots of good things.  My experiences with Pirelli are limited to my Trophy and I've been pleased so far and am impressed by Pirelli's racing lineage in general.  Most all of my other motorcycles have worn Dunlops and they have mostly served me well, but I am unfamiliar with their performance on more sportier applications.  Based on this, I've focused more on the Michelin vs Pirelli offerings as sport touring reviews and experiences lean more towards these as opposed to Dunlop (not sure why, really - unfamiliarity, perhaps?).  While I do like the design and characteristics of the AGTII, those center grooves have really turned me off as they have the potential to track grooves and tar snakes more readily and I would hate to experience that sensation while I'm two up.  The Michelin's don't have the center grooves and have a lot of uninterrupted rubber on the sides which usually translates into more confidence in the corners, aka, the fun zone.

With all of this in mind, I do believe I'll give a set of Michelin Road 5 GTs a try and report back from time to time on how they work out for me.
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Love New Tires, Hate Researching and Buying Them
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 09:12:28 pm »
I learned by multiple harrowing experiences going over one of those metal grate drawbridges on the way up to ride the new NASA RD 1 (yes, early '60's) that the best approach for those lean angled, zigzag wobbles induced by those things is to just relax and it will soon go away.  It's really unnerving, but not exactly life threatening because it isn't going to pitch you off like you think it will.  Fighting it only seems to make it worse!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wasilla
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 02:53:49 pm »
For what it's worth, I tend to do the over-analyze thing as well. I put RoadSmart III's on last time, and have been quite happy with their grip and behavior. Interestingly, Dunlop's website says the RS IV's don't fit the Trophy, even though they come in the right sizes. I thought it might be a load capacity, but the RS IV has the same 58W/75W as the GTII A-spec has. So does the Pilot Road 5, and Michelin also doesn't show that as an option (just the Road 4). I've got about 8k miles on these and they still look almost new - no cupping etc. - although the tread is getting a bit thin.

I may swap to a Metzeler ME-888 Ultra rear next time for the longevity, as I rarely push the Trophy towards it's limits. Will depend on where I am when I need them - if I'm on a trip I'll have to get whatever is available  :027:

Online Yaga1973

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 03:12:36 pm »
*Originally Posted by thogland [+]
Interestingly, Dunlop's website says the RS IV's don't fit the Trophy, even though they come in the right sizes. I thought it might be a load capacity, but the RS IV has the same 58W/75W as the GTII A-spec has. So does the Pilot Road 5, and Michelin also doesn't show that as an option (just the Road 4). I've got about 8k miles on these and they still look almost new - no cupping etc. - although the tread is getting a bit thin.

I saw and wondered the exact same thing about the RS IV.  And who knows? If the RS IV get's great reviews and I'm not happy with the R5GT, maybe I'll give them a try.  I believe Michelin has dropped the Pilot part of the name, so maybe that has something to do with it. 
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Online Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 04:01:59 pm »
The motorcycle Dealer I work with in Arizona happens to Service virtually all of the Patrol motorcycles in the Phoenix area. Every single one of them uses the Michelin GT tires. According to my mechanic there, he says that each Department has experimented with each available option before coming to the universal consensus that the Michelin was the best option. I canít think of a more demanding application, so that consensus means a lot.

So why am I running Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs instead? Because I bought two sets on clearance for nearly half the cost of the Michelins, once the Roadsmart IV Tire was announced. I suspect that my Dunlopís wonít achieve the mileage of the Michelins, but at the cost difference, Iím sure I will be money ahead. Iíve currently only got about 5,000 miles on my first set, but haven already ridden in just about every situation, I can report that I am happy with their performance to date. There are some sections of road up here that have more snakes than pavement, and I am happy to report that performance is vastly superior to my previous Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires, which were atrocious.

As pertains to tire tracking on pavement grooves, trophied is spot on in his observation that the key is to loosen up your death grip on the handlebars. The same advice applies to if you ever find yourself riding on gravel, say in a construction zone. I know that most sport touring tire Manufacturers have gotten away from that center groove in the desire to put more rubber on the road, and I find it interesting that Pirelli has seen fit to reintroduce it on their version II of the Angel GTs. I might be mistaken here, but I seem to remember that they said they did it for added tread stability. I will be curious to see if that reduces the amount of front tire scalloping that I experienced with previous sets of Angel GT tires I ran on my K1600GTL. I was very happy with the performance of those tires, except for that one shortcoming.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 04:03:36 pm by Saddle Tramp »
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 05:09:55 pm »
Yes, the Angels were notorious for cupping on the front of the GTL.

Online Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 05:50:18 pm »
But in your case, you were probably just pushing them too hard in those peg scraping corners like you do!  :085:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:53:07 pm by Saddle Tramp »
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 11:40:53 pm »
 :005:  Let me go look at my feelers, nope no wear there!  You being sarcastic with me again about my abilities???? :745: