Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Love New Tires, Hate Researching and Buying Them  (Read 5043 times)

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wasilla
Re: Love New Tires, Hate Researching and Buying Them
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2021, 05:13:28 pm »
*Originally Posted by STJIM [+]
AND :

I've been using Shinko tires on my last few bikes.  I admit I don't drag my pegs, I do mostly slab riding.   I like them and you can't beat the life / cost ratio, especially when they are on sale ( like during the winter sale period ).  Several other Riders on the Concours C-14 run them w/o any complaints.  I recently bought a set of Shinko 016 Verge 2X Dual Compound tires for my TTSE and will replace the tires that came on the bike with the Shinko's  when they need replacement.  I doubt that I will notice much if any difference, except for my wallet being a little thicker.  https://shinkotireusa.com/product/016-verge-2x-dual-compound-radial-tire/211896

BTW, adding to what the Dr. said : Back when I was riding my old Moto Guzzi, my riding buddy had a KLR650 with semi-knobbie tires.  I could barely keep up with him in the twisties.

If I might ask, what kind of mileage are the Verge 2x tires getting? I don't see many of them up here, so there's no real info on them. I just know they're cheaper than everything else and their marketing says they're amazing, same as every other tire. I wear out the center band of mine, and the outsides still look mostly new, so center mileage is key for me to get good life.

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2021, 05:16:37 pm »
I must say,  at this point I'm reminded of the old adage :  Opinions are like  *****'s , everyone has one.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation   :007:
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2021, 05:22:46 pm »
*Originally Posted by thogland [+]
If I might ask, what kind of mileage are the Verge 2x tires getting? I don't see many of them up here, so there's no real info on them. I just know they're cheaper than everything else and their marketing says they're amazing, same as every other tire. I wear out the center band of mine, and the outsides still look mostly new, so center mileage is key for me to get good life.

A little less mileage than the more expensive tires when used on a Concours C-14 .  Depends on each Rider's riding style and speeds.

I see the same wear pattern on any brand rear tire I have run, BTW.  The dual compound is suppose to help mitigate that.  Many rear tires today have the dual compound, not just the Verge 2.

Sorry I can't give you more info.  You could try looking at the COG Forum for more info.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 05:25:24 pm by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

tweedy-bunch