Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Turn TPMS off?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Turn TPMS off?
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 07:30:43 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
That is not an issue at all. All 20 of my motorcycles tires have had such for many years as well as most of my other vehicles. Never a problem.

Any tire expert will explain the valve is only for our convenience to fill up the tire. The cap is what holds in the air the best of the two.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

What tire expert told you that the cap is best at keeping the air in? They are so wrong, the cap is just a 'dust cap', it keeps dust out of the valve, that's what actually seals the air in.
Personally I wouldn't want that valve kept pushed in all the time whilst on the road.

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 09:11:23 pm »
I wasn't going to reply to that...but ya. Literally no tire expert will tell you that the cap is designed to hold the air in.

Do an experiment: overinflate a car tire to say 50psi. remove the valve, and then put the cap on. See how long it holds air.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 11:16:04 pm »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
What tire expert told you that the cap is best at keeping the air in? They are so wrong, the cap is just a 'dust cap', it keeps dust out of the valve, that's what actually seals the air in.
I read about it years ago, but I now cannot remember where from. Plastic caps  are just dust caps. It was comparing the  metal caps with the seals in them. IMO, the plastic ones shouldn't even exist. They should all be metal.

*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
Personally I wouldn't want that valve kept pushed in all the time whilst on the road.
Only those who have not used the external type TPMS would have that concern.  Even me at first. But I have such on every vehicle I own and that is many vehicles over many years. Never had a problem with a leak from an external TPMS sensor nor do I know of anybody who has. 

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 11:20:39 pm »
*Originally Posted by dietDrThunder [+]
I wasn't going to reply to that...but ya. Literally no tire expert will tell you that the cap is designed to hold the air in.

Do an experiment: overinflate a car tire to say 50psi. remove the valve, and then put the cap on. See how long it holds air.
Years. My RV has all TPMS sensors on all six wheels that keep the the valve pressed in and the MINIMUM PSI in those tires is 80 PSI. I am sure quality  metal caps with seals would do as well.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 11:23:54 pm »
I too have used these systems since they first became available almost 20 years ago. Those caps are designed to seal air while the valve is depressed.

Standard caps are not. I was referring to the incorrect statement that 'any tire expert will tell you it's the cap that seals in the air.' This is only true if you are using specific caps designed to do so for a reason...like TPMS systems use. It is the exception, not the rule.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 11:45:31 pm »
I too have used these systems since they first became available almost 20 years ago. Those caps are designed to seal air while the valve is depressed.

Standard caps are not. I was referring to the incorrect statement that 'any tire expert will tell you it's the cap that seals in the air.' This is only true if you are using specific caps designed to do so for a reason...like TPMS systems use. It is the exception, not the rule.
There are two main reasons why metal caps do more than values. One is the centrifugal force and vibrations  at high speeds  can start to  open a valve, but not a cap.  Another reason is road dust or whatever can get in a valve leaving it stuck open a bit--also will not happen with a good quality metal cap that is properly torqued.

Of course, there is no problem in using both. But of the two, the higher quality caps do a  better job than the tire valve.

And there is no reason to be concerned about using an external sensor that keeps the valve open. The best way to be convinced is to try them out for years, as I have, on many vehicles, including my TTSE.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2021, 12:56:18 am »
I can't even tell what we're talking about at this point :)

Nobody thinks cap-based TPMS makes your tires flat. They work great...have for decades. I remember buying one for hundreds of dollars from K40 in the 90's. Even that oldie worked great.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 02:12:27 am »
I can't even tell what we're talking about at this point :)

Nobody thinks cap-based TPMS makes your tires flat. They work great...have for decades. I remember buying one for hundreds of dollars from K40 in the 90's. Even that oldie worked great.
A few posts up. Earthman said "Personally I wouldn't want that valve kept pushed in all the time whilst on the road."

Yeah, I had a Pressure Pro in my RV when they first came out. Worked great, at least until a sensor battery craps out. Then the sensors have to be sent in to get the battery replaced at $40.00 each. On my RV, that is $240.00 worth of TPMS batteries. I can buy a complete new system for less than half that and change the batteries myself for a few bucks.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

tweedy-bunch