Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Oil Filter trouble  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013
  • City / Town: Brownsboro
Oil Filter trouble
« on: January 24, 2021, 02:40:44 am »
Is it generally difficult to get the oil filter off? I changed the oil this morning. What should have been a 30 min job turned into a half day. It was the first time changing the oil on this bike. The Filter is in a tight spot but should not be overly difficult to get out. I could not get it to budge. I finally realized I could take the skin off and gain more leverage. Even with the Tupperware off the bike, I still struggled to get the filter off, but finally won the battle. K&N went on this time.
Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Oil Filter trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 04:33:45 am »
Probably due to having been over-tightened when it was fitted.

Recommended Torque is 10 NM.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:21:10 am »
I've not had any problems, I use the metal style oil filter removal tool for a start, just take out the fairing bolt below it and gently pull on the fairing to provide a bit more space for the filter to come out.

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 11:20:26 am »
I have the same trouble with any filter I have removed.   :157:  After the first couple of failed attempts I usually take a break, have a cup of tea and try again after a few minutes, when it always seems to spin off by it's own accord :027:

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 04:07:21 pm »
I was lucky enough to perform the first required 500 mile oil change and let me tell you, that filter was the most difficult filter I've ever removed.  Not sure what gorilla at the factory put it on, but wow!  I ended up buying the properly sized Lisle brand metal end cap filter wrench from Amazon and still had issues with it slipping.  I had to line the inside of the wrench with a single layer of duct tape and drive the wrench on by tapping on the extension.  After using steady and very heavy pressure (torque), the filter finally came off.  It was stuck so bad, I thought that I was going to have to drive a screwdriver through the filter to remove it - I'm so glad I didn't have to resort to that.  For the replacement filter, I went with the Hiflofiltro (HF204RC), installed and tightened it by hand, and hope the nut at the end will do its job when I change the oil next time.
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 03:58:56 pm »
I bought one of those BIG, long oil filter pliers off EBay.  The filter was pretty tight, but with those pliers, I got it off w/o too much trouble.  It is a little tricky getting the filter out & back in.  You gotta be careful not to crush the new filter when tightening it.

Recently I saw a similar tool in Walmart - check there first if you want to get one.  I think they were a bit less at Walmart. They were in the general tool area, not in the oil filter section.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:04:00 pm by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 05:12:37 pm »
You know what's funny, I that I have a pair of these oil filter pliers and they are my favorite.  However, I recently moved and I have yet to find the box that contains them - I have a cart in my garage that I keep my most used tools on and unfortunately, I didn't put these pliers in my big tool chest prior to getting packed up by the movers.  Grrr!
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 07:24:08 pm »
*Originally Posted by Yaga1973 [+]
I thought that I was going to have to drive a screwdriver through the filter to remove it - I'm so glad I didn't have to resort to that.

Personally I'd never even think of doing that because what if that doesn't work, you'll be left with an engine/bike that you can't run. Have you ever thought of that, what else would you try then??

tweedy-bunch