Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] OK, I'm a fan.  (Read 2724 times)

• Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member  ‐    40
    • Topic Author

Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013
    • City / Town: Brownsboro
    OK, I'm a fan.
    on: Jan 29, 2021, 03.48 pm
    Jan 29, 2021, 03.48 pm
    I have been riding motorcycles for 42 years. I have gone through my share of bikes of all types. I have owned many sports tourers. This bike is my favorite to date. For the past few years, I have been on a quest to find MY perfect motorcycle (I'm not sure that it exists), but this one is really close. I think my perfect bike would be a combination of ST1300, Concourse 14, and the Trophy. Prior to the Trophy, my favorite was the BMW R 150 RT but repairs exceeding the value, and upkeep of the bike caused me to sell it.

There are so many great things about this bike and I hope I can get 150,000 miles out of this one. Until such time, I will enjoy both of these. Thanks to everyone who has been patient with me while I learn my way around this bike and this forum.  So much great information here. 

Last Edit: Jan 29, 2021, 03.52 pm by Mahaflac
    Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

One of the founding members of the Twisted Trophies.

• Offline Yaga1973   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    358

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2009 HD Road King
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
    Re: OK, I'm a fan.
    Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2021, 02.09 pm
    Feb 04, 2021, 02.09 pm
    My TTSE is the first modern motorcycle that I've owned and I've never owned a real sporty bike, let alone a sport-tourer.  Ever since I first saw a sport-tourer, especially the Triumphs, I've been a fan.  This past October I was able to get one and it's been incredible since then.  She's a little top heavy moving around the garage or parking lot, but she's a nimble beast once under way and those pounds just disappear.  These machines are very capable, more so than anything I've ever ridden, and the more I ride mine, the more I love it.

And congrats on picking up the fastest color!  :038:
    Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies
    2009 Harley-Davidson Road King
    2017 TTSE - Blue (Sold)

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2021, 12.29 am
    Feb 08, 2021, 12.29 am
    I'm really really sorry to have ask this, but what is the make and model of the bike in the first picture?
    I admit to not being au fait with modern bikes, but I am going to guess at a Honda. Perhaps an ST1300 derivative? Am I close?

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1349

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2021, 09.35 am
    Feb 08, 2021, 09.35 am
    *Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
    I'm really really sorry to have ask this, but what is the make and model of the bike in the first picture?
    I admit to not being au fait with modern bikes, but I am going to guess at a Honda. Perhaps an ST1300 derivative? Am I close?

I think it is a Honda CTX. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CTX1300My mate has one and loves it.  I think they were only available for one production year in UK.

It has the ST1300 V4 Silky Smooth motor but a more cruiser style than the ST.

Just my $0.02 worth
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member  ‐    40
    • Topic Author

Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2021, 06.57 pm
    Feb 09, 2021, 06.57 pm
    Indeed it is a CTX1300. I deem this motorcycle as a "Failure of the almost". Honda almost nailed it but missed the mark. It has the same engine as the ST1300 but is de-tuned almost to a flow. The front end of the bike is really stiff and I had to remedy (mask) it with Roxx anti-vibration risers. The engine is silky smooth and the bike is perfectly at home on the interstate and in town. It is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever had the privilege to ride. A few things corrected and I believe this bike could have been another Goldwing success. Even with flaws, I can seem to get rid of it.

• Offline STJIM   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    513

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2021, 01.18 am
    Feb 10, 2021, 01.18 am
    I'll tell you one thing :  It's a heck of a lot easier doing a valve check & adjust on the CTX than on a TTSE.  I have an old ST1100, BTW.

I think you'll like the TTSE better than the CTX :  More power, I think maybe better gas mileage, better handling, radio, better weather protection and electronic cruise control.  Should be no problem getting past 100K miles w/o any major problems.
    IBA #35372  Mile Eater Gold 8-2022
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011/2019/2022
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member  ‐    40
    • Topic Author

Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2021, 03.07 am
    Feb 10, 2021, 03.07 am
    I am already very fond of the Trophy. I haven’t found to much I don’t like about the ergonomics yet. I have had to take all the Tupperware off of it this past weekend to replace the radio, air filter and change the coolant. It is time consuming to take all of it off but not difficult. The bike appears to have been taken care of, other than dirtdobber nest in a few locations. Air filter looked nearly new.

I can’t seem to part with the CTX yet though. It too is a really good bike.

• Offline STJIM   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    513

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2021, 01.48 pm
    Feb 10, 2021, 01.48 pm

Mahaflac:  Nice to hear you enjoy the satisfaction of doing you own maintenance.

I was looking at a used CTX1300 about a year ago at the dealer - there aren't many around.  It fit me well, maybe better than the TTSE.  I just got an RDL seat for the Trophy, so that should help with comfort on the LD rides that I do.  I like to have something different ( 3 cylinders vs. 4 ) and I know I'll appreciate the extra power of the TTSE and the electronic cruise.

Now that I have just done a valve clearance check & adjust, I don't have to be concerned about that item for the next 18K miles.
    Last Edit: Feb 10, 2021, 01.51 pm by STJIM
    IBA #35372  Mile Eater Gold 8-2022
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011/2019/2022
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100