Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Sluggish  (Read 7479 times)

• Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member  ‐    39
    • Topic Author

Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013
    • City / Town: Brownsboro
    Sluggish
    on: Feb 04, 2021, 01.06 am
    Feb 04, 2021, 01.06 am
    I have been riding my my 13 a fair amount lately. Today I noticed something. I was doing around 70mph and gave it full throttle to go around a vehicle and the vehicle was really sluggish giving it full throttle (Almost like the clutch was slipping.) It is not like that at lower speeds. The bike was in 6th when doing this. I thought it might just be 6th gearing. I dropped to 5th and hit the throttle again and got the same response. I donít get that at lower gears and lower speeds.

Any ideas?
    Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

One of the founding members of the Twisted Trophies.

• Offline Tenequip   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    146

Offline Tenequip

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Ford City, PA.
    Re: Sluggish
    Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2021, 01.54 am
    Feb 04, 2021, 01.54 am
    Sounds like the clutch is slipping! Try start taking off in third or fourth gear from a stop. That will tell you if it is the clutch.

• Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member  ‐    39
    • Topic Author

Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2021, 02.01 am
    Feb 04, 2021, 02.01 am
    What should I expect by doing that? Other than the obvious.

• Offline Tenequip   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    146

Offline Tenequip

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Ford City, PA.
    Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2021, 02.15 am
    Feb 04, 2021, 02.15 am
    It will be obvious if you have a clutch problem or not.

• Offline Quentin Hogan   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    19

Offline Quentin Hogan

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Tiger, Trophy
    • City / Town: Springfield, OR
    Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2021, 04.06 am
    Feb 04, 2021, 04.06 am
     Your rev's would go up if the clutch was slipping. When my 2013 starting having valve problems it gradually lost power over a year and half with lost of power and decreasing gas milage and hard starting.
     I finally broke it down and did a compression test that showed lost of compression. After removing the head it had burnt valves on all cylinders. The bike had been serviced per the owners manual. The motor didn't burn oil during that 640000 mile period. I'm not saying that's you problem but the power symptoms you describe sound like that. After the replacement motor put a valve through the middle piston I replaced it with the original motor with a EBay head. Its been running strong since then.
     My bike revved OK in the lower gears but didn't like to pull hills at in high gear. Check that your brakes aren't dragging check the easy things first.

Good Luck.
    No matter what they are a great bike.
    Last Edit: Feb 04, 2021, 04.15 am by Quentin Hogan

• Offline Merritt64   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    106

Offline Merritt64

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Calgary
    Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2021, 04.43 pm
    Feb 04, 2021, 04.43 pm
    I had the same issue on a pickup truck I used to own.  Replaced the fuel filter and all the problems disappeared.

• Offline STJIM   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    424

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2021, 03.14 pm
    Feb 05, 2021, 03.14 pm
    *Originally Posted by Merritt64 [+]
    I had the same issue on a pickup truck I used to own.  Replaced the fuel filter and all the problems disappeared.

I would pull the plastic & gas tank & air box and do a compression or leak down test.  If that checks out OK, then check the fuel filter & fuel filter sock.  Your symptom is a fairly common symptom that Concours C-14 Owners experience and it's offten caused by a clogged fuel filter sock -  see attached pic ( new on L, old on R , of course ).

You could also do a fuel pressure check if the previous checks out OK.  Low fuel pressure could be caused by a bad pump or bad fuel pressure regulator.

Also, on second thought you may have a bad fuel line.  Wouldn't that be interesting ?  You can't always tell by looking at the outside of the hose because the layers can get delaminated and the fuel gets between the layers and the pressure occludes the inside of the hose.  This happened to a friend of mine with a Burgman 400 and it took a while before he figured out what was causing the loss of power - the bike ran fine at low speeds.

New & Clogged C-14 Fuel Sock :
    Last Edit: Feb 05, 2021, 03.27 pm by STJIM
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member  ‐    39
    • Topic Author

Offline Mahaflac

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2021, 06.26 pm
    Feb 05, 2021, 06.26 pm
    *Originally Posted by STJIM [+]
    I would pull the plastic & gas tank & air box and do a compression or leak down test.  If that checks out OK, then check the fuel filter & fuel filter sock.  Your symptom is a fairly common symptom that Concours C-14 Owners experience and it's offten caused by a clogged fuel filter sock -  see attached pic ( new on L, old on R , of course ).

You could also do a fuel pressure check if the previous checks out OK.  Low fuel pressure could be caused by a bad pump or bad fuel pressure regulator.

Also, on second thought you may have a bad fuel line.  Wouldn't that be interesting ?  You can't always tell by looking at the outside of the hose because the layers can get delaminated and the fuel gets between the layers and the pressure occludes the inside of the hose.  This happened to a friend of mine with a Burgman 400 and it took a while before he figured out what was causing the loss of power - the bike ran fine at low speeds.

New & Clogged C-14 Fuel Sock :

Thanks, I will do some checking. I am going to have the bike apart this weekend to replace the radio and the air filter. It will be a good time to check a few things. I have ruled out the clutch.