Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Stuck storage/glove box  (Read 199 times)

Offline Stephane

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Stuck storage/glove box
« on: February 22, 2021, 04:58:01 am »
The box won't open since the bike came back from the harness recall. Because of the snow it'd be quite a hassle to take it back to the dealer, so I'll give it a go first.
I found previous threads on this topic, but
1) I don't know if it's the solenoid because I hear it clunk when I turn the key; however the button still does not depress.
2) I could not open it using the tool as described (I used an Allen key with enough reach)
3) I didn't understand the finger method of forcing it open. Could someone re-explain it to me?
Suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:00:19 am by Stephane »
Previous bikes: Yamaha FZ-09, Yamaha FJR 1300, Kawasaki Vulcan 900

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Stuck storage/glove box
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 02:54:48 pm »
I could always open mine with the key off by squeezing the top above the latch location.  Takes some pressure with the thumb on the back edge (hinge side) and fingers on the latch side while lifting up on that edge and it comes open.  I fixed mine to make it even slightly easier open without the key but it still won't come open on it's own.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Stephane

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Re: Stuck storage/glove box
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 04:15:27 am »
Yesss, I got it opened.
Thanks for your help @Trophied.
I ended up using a combination of techniques. Squeezing as you explained did not pop the lid, but it did create a big enough gap to slide a small screwdriver in and push back the latch slider.
The problem was not the solenoid. It was dirt that worked it's way under the button and jammed the latch. Not much but enough to restrict movement. I disassembled it, cleaned it, put a bit of grease on the button guides (not the slider). And good as new.

Now, onto the next project.
Previous bikes: Yamaha FZ-09, Yamaha FJR 1300, Kawasaki Vulcan 900