Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Painting RH pannier - Advice please  (Read 584 times)

Offline Peds8045

• Trophy Member
  • Pedro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 1215
  • City / Town: Telford
Painting RH pannier - Advice please
« on: February 28, 2021, 09:19:46 am »
So, after a stationary encounter with gravity, my RH pannier received a touch of road rash. I have rubbed the affected areas down to remove the scratches and now have a smooth but part white (primer) area on my black pannier..

The correct paint is on order along with plastic primer and varnish. Here is where I'm at:

Should i prime and paint only the area affected or should i paint the whole pannier?

I'm thinking that doing the whole pannier will produce a better overall finish. If i do the whole pannier whats the prep required for the good paint, does it just need keying and then priming or should i take it down to the original primer also.

By the way, i have already fitted a new pannier cover, i just want to paint the old one as a spare for when it happens again 😂😂

Any advice welcomed. Thanks

Offline baz1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: basingstoke
Re: Painting RH pannier - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 09:26:05 am »
I was going to get one of mine repainted, but weighing up the cost of materials and labour against buying a new one it was cheaper to buy new. I guess if I had the equipment and skills it may have been worth it.
I would do the whole pannier lid BTW.

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
  • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
Re: Painting RH pannier - Advice please
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 12:39:13 am »
Both of my panniers were scratched when I purchased the bike and was in the was in the middle of buying paint, when someone stated the price of brand new painted, luckily I came across a brand set and swapped them out!

Painted aircraft for 20 years here and my advice is to paint the entire pannier, as yes,  you can spot it in and the color will be the same but, you will definitely notice where you touched it up! :028:

Offline Peds8045

• Trophy Member
  • Pedro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 1215
  • City / Town: Telford
Re: Painting RH pannier - update
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 03:31:07 pm »
A quick update on my pannier painting. Readers should be aware that I’m semi retired so i have plenty of time to do this.

I decided to give it a go so I purchased the plastic primer, phantom black paint and clear lacquer off ebay which cost £20.00. I then completed the work as follows (sorry no pics of this stage)

1. Removed the red reflector from the cover which is held in place with a sticky pad. I carefully prised it out with a screwdriver whilst pushing out on the two internal studs. It came out in one piece.

2. Using 1500 grit wet and dry on a palm sander i rubbed down the affected area until the scratches were gone. I then roughed up the rest of the cover by hand using the 1500 grit paper..

3. After removing all the dust and masking off the triumph badge i gave it two coats of plastic primer.  This went on very well.

4. The following day i sprayed on three coats of Phantom black paint waiting after each coat for the previous coat to dry (15mins per coat). I then gave it two coats of clear lacquer and then left it overnight to dry fully.

5. The next day I checked the results and although good, it was a bit flat. Went over the cover using T Cut and i spent about 45mins going over the cover by hand using a microfibre cloth. Must have been about three passes over with the T Cut which bought out the shine nicely.

6. Then it was two goes over with Autoglym Super resin polish by hand which seems to have deepened the shine somewhat.

7. Refitted the red reflector using some black silicone sealant i had to hand.

Anyway after that effort the end result is a pannier cover which is almost as good as the original.
Now i have completed it i would not hesitate to do something similar instead of buying a new replacement panel.

Here are some pictures of the end result. The shiny bits are the sparkly bits in the paint.

Overall finished cover

Area that was damaged

Rear of cover

Products used