Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: brake caliper overhaul.  (Read 1180 times)

• Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194
    • Topic Author

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Altrincham, Cheshire
    brake caliper overhaul.
    on: Mar 01, 2021, 02.50 pm
    Mar 01, 2021, 02.50 pm
    Having done a front and rear brake caliper clean and check, I have found some corrosion on the front caliper pistons, so I want to replace all the pistons and seals, question is are there any stainless steel pistons available in the UK, secondly can a pipe clamp be used on the brake pipes fitted to the Trophy, and lastly can I replace the brake fluid that will be lost overhauling the calipers without having to bleed the ABS unit, I've looked in the manual but it only deals with brake fluid changing, thanks in advance.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                               :084:

• Offline Leanover

• Trophy Member  ‐    50

Offline Leanover

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 trophy se
    • City / Town: Mörlenbach
    Re: brake caliper overhaul.
    Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2021, 04.49 pm
    Mar 01, 2021, 04.49 pm
    Unfortunately, no no and no .Sorry!! The std pistons are good quality they just need regular cleaning, especially in winter .as for bleeding the brakes it's not hard .you need dealer tool ,tuneecu or similar. Before I had such programmes I would bleed normally then " lock the brakes to activate the abs then bleed again.  But I was young ,mad And skint  back then !! It's not very safe . Use the programme!!
    Last Edit: Mar 01, 2021, 05.14 pm by Leanover

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9762

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2021, 04.57 pm
    Mar 01, 2021, 04.57 pm
    The OEM Piston and Seal Kits are as follows :

Right Caliper Part Number T2022391 - RRP from World of Triumph = £60.00
    Left Caliper Part Number T2022392 - RRP from World of Triumph = £60.00

There's a UK Company : Powerhouse Automotive Limited that sells Caliper Piston & Seal rebuild kits
    for the Trophy REAR Caliper, on eBay, but I haven't seen any Listings by them for the front calipers -
    might be worth making contact - Here's a Link to their Contact Form.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline Noggin   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    95

Offline Noggin

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 13 plate Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Southampton
    Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11.12 pm
    Mar 01, 2021, 11.12 pm
    Might be worth contacting Sprint Manufacturing, they are an excellent source of parts for triumphs
    Various bikes, then I grew up !
    1991 Triumph Trophy 1200
    2010 Triumph Sprint GT
    2013 Triumph Trophy 1215

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09.18 am
    Mar 02, 2021, 09.18 am
    Sprint manufacturing do stainless pistons for the Nissin calipers as well as seals. There are also other companies on a well known selling site. They may wish to know the diameters of your pistons. The 6 x fronts are 34mm diameter (from the hand lever) and the linked rear on the front and in the rear caliper are 27mm. A good tip is to keep the old pads, clean them with a wire brush and put 3 worn pads in the front caliper in the 3 areas you are not working on (9 pads in all, 4 if you can get them in). That way you can pump the pistons out (NOT TOO FAR) to work on the set which dont have the old pads in and the other pistons dont move out due to having old pads in.
    There is a way to bleed the system without the dealer tool after calipers have been removed and stripped, but this may not be the place to suggest it. I dont want to incur anyone's wrath if it doesn't work for them.

• Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194
    • Topic Author

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12.45 pm
    Mar 02, 2021, 12.45 pm
    Thanks Coconut, Noggin, 1675 and Leanover, for all your advice.

I have used Sprint Manufacturing in the past, very knowledgeable and honest company, and it looks like I will have to purchase a laptop as my house is filled with Desk top computers, ipads and Kindle fires, no laptops.

I have the Tiger tool on my desktop computer, but it's a bit cumbersome to take into the garage to use, so a laptop loaded with Tiger tool and Dealer tool is next.

Stainless caliper piston is the road I want to go down, fitted them to both my Sprint and Tiger never had any problems with corrosion once fitted, but these bike's didn't have ABS brakes, so not a problem fitting them.
                                                                                                                                        :028:

• Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro  ‐    345

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2021, 02.13 pm
    Mar 04, 2021, 02.13 pm
    I think the Trophy may use the same front calipers as a Yamaha FJR1300.  So if you can find some S.S. caliper pistons for the FJR, they may also fit the Trophy.  May be worth a try.
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014 ; SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194
    • Topic Author

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05.00 pm
    Mar 04, 2021, 05.00 pm
    Thanks STJIM, will have a look at whats available.

I am going to talk to the chaps at Sprint Engineering, very knowledgeable and carry a lot of Triumph parts, plus I have bought parts from them before,see what they come up with.           :028: