Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: sat nav mount and wiring  (Read 6155 times)

Offline martin2454

• Trophy Junior
  • Martin Gill
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stafford
sat nav mount and wiring
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:56:25 PM »
Hi, Can anyone assist me please.

Ive just a had a sat nav mount fitted to my Trophy by my local Triumph dealership. As yet i haven't purchased a gps unit, as I'm really unsure which one to go for, so any help would be appreciated.  I don't want to spend a fortune, as it Will only get limited use.   

Another small issue....The unit to date comprises a mount and bracket. Its been hard wired to the bike and currently has pos and neg wires exposed.  What will i need to do to complete the wiring job?

Regards

Martin
Martin2454

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
Re: sat nav mount and wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
There is a separate Forum Board that is better suited for this subject. Its called "Audio, Sat Nav, and Intercom"

I prefer Garmin, I use an old 2720 Streetpilot i have had for many years. it is waterproof, and has touch screen. No longer available new. If your Nav will have audio prompts and you want to hear them thru your speakers or Trophy bluetooth, the installer should have extended the audio cable up to your mount. I guess if the Nav unit you buy has bluetooth, than the audio cable is not needed.

Offline martin2454

• Trophy Junior
  • Martin Gill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:17:55 PM »
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. 

regards
Martin
Martin2454

Offline St3v3rino

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08 HD Ultra Classic
  • City / Town: Vancouver BC
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:03:38 AM »
I also think that your specific requirements might help narrow down the field. :084:
For example....
  • How important is being water proof?
  • Do you need to load pre-mapped routes?
  • Do you want an onboard MP3 player
  • Do you need bluetooth connectivity

If your answer is no, no, no & no then a cheaper Nuvi might fit the bill (much less $$)
If your answer is yes, yes, yes & yes then perhaps a motorcycle specific Zumo might be required (many more $$)

Good luck

Some of the newer GPS units have lifetime map updates for free which can be attractive

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by St3v3rino [+]
Some of the newer GPS units have lifetime map updates for free which can be attractive
such as the the new TomTom Rider, for instance, i guess they just tried to keep up with Garmin
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »
Hi Martin,

( Guessing this Thread will be moved by the Mods into the appropriate Section ? )

The Triumph Sat Nav bracket is no more than that - just a bracket,
and then a wired cradle for a specific device is usually bolted onto it.
( It is designed for the Garmin Zumo 660 ).

The Zumo 660 cradle has wires for the power ( Pos & Neg ) which are connected to a dedictaed "clean" supply, and audio cables for Audio Out - which plug into an 3.5mm Jack socket on the bike - both connections are buried away against the frame under the left front indicator pod,
and also an external microphone jack plug that isn't used on the Trophy setup.

I'm a bit confused when you say it has a Mount that has been "hard wired",
and has exposed Pos & Neg wires - What IS that mount ??

If it's for the Zumo 660, then that cradle usually comes with the Sat Nav as part of the kit,
if it's not I'm wondering what it is for, and how any other wires for it have been "hard wired" ??

Regards,

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by martin2454 [+]
Hi, Can anyone assist me please.

Ive just a had a sat nav mount fitted to my Trophy by my local Triumph dealership. As yet i haven't purchased a gps unit, as I'm really unsure which one to go for, so any help would be appreciated.  I don't want to spend a fortune, as it Will only get limited use.   

Another small issue....The unit to date comprises a mount and bracket. Its been hard wired to the bike and currently has pos and neg wires exposed.  What will i need to do to complete the wiring job?

Regards

Martin

If possible post some pictures  :087: :087: We may be able to help further  :028: :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline martin2454

• Trophy Junior
  • Martin Gill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
Guys, thanks so much for all your comments.  Very helpful. I think I will opt for a Garmin with BT.

Still not sure what the exposed wires are for(a fter Triumoh fitted the bracket), so as 'Chaos' requested, Ive attached some pics.

Regards
Martin
Martin2454