Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Houston  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Spider

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph TBird 1700
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
Houston
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:42:44 pm »
Hi, just joined.  Considering Trophy SE or FJR1300ES.  Currently have a 2010 Thunderbird 1700 and 2012 Super Tenere, so partial to, well, Triumph or Yamaha. I'm sure I'll find an helpful opinion or two here.

Cheers,

Spider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Houston
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 01:42:31 am »
Welcome to the Forum to another Houston member :400:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Spider

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph TBird 1700
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:58:22 am »
W8d,

Being new to town, I haven't even been to a dealer yet.  Who do you recommend?

Thanks!

Spider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:34:02 am »
I got my Trophy from my brother who is a dealer in Upstate NY and rode it back to Houston.  In fact i bought my last several Triumphs  that way so i can't give you a Houston sales version.  I can however give you my impression of the two dealerships i have visited for parts and/or service.  Mancuso north seem to be anxious to help and quite friendly but I haven't actually used them yet.  I did use Gulf Coast Triumph a few years ago when I was too sick to do my own work, which I normally do unless it is warranty work.  I used Gulf Coast to do routine tune up work, brake replacement, battery replacement, tire replacement (both front and rear) valve set and air filter replacement.  I couldn't do it because I had just had surgery and wasn't mobile enough.  And I needed to have the bike ready for a long planned trip.  On pick up the valves were louder than when  I'd left it.  They had used cheap inferior brake pads that made the bike stop worse than when I left it.  They charged an hour labor to install a battery.  On the whole the charges were much more than we'd discussed and the quality of work was bad.  So I swore I'd never go back and I haven't.  I'd be happy to talk on the phone if you like.  PM me if you want
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:25:10 am »
Hi Spider,
I sold my 1700 2010 Thunderbird to buy the Trophy and have no regrets.
Trophy is the bike with the lot and I love it for touring or a spin in the twisties. I do miss the note of my Thunderbird with BC pipes but the Remus arrives this week so that should improve the sound of my Trophy. The Trophy is so comfy and the WP suspension is unbelievably good as are the rest of the features.
Welcome to the forum, be interesting to see which way you jump.

Simon
Simon

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 05:07:53 am »
Spider,

Interesting, same 2 bikes I was interested in - the TTSE and FJR1300.  After test riding both, the TTSE was the pick for me. The TTSE ticked all of my boxes.  The FJR is the ants-pants if your orientation is for 'more sports' rather the 'more touring', and vice versa.  For me, with on-board radio, bluetooth, traction control, cruise control, great wind protection, lack of vibration, being able to change suspension damping on the go, self cancelling indicators, and more - the TTSE wins hands-down.   Also noting, that with the FJR, Yamaha states that you can't have the panniers and the top box on at the same time - it's panniers or top box (seems like a bit of an oversite for a bike designed for the touring).

BTW, apart from the much better ride-by-wire of the FJR, the Mrs didn't like the FJR at all - constant vibration from the motor, not enough wind protection, squashier sitting position, and the pillion seat was not so comfy.

Best you demo ride both bikes and make up your own mind, and when you do, make sure give the FJR a good fang for me - it does really acceleration well.

Always ride in control.

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:13:32 am »
Welcome to the group, Spider!  Decisions, decisions...  Well, you have to make the best one for you, but the Trophy is one helluva bike for sure!  Hope to see you on here in a permanent basis - it's one of the best forums anywhere!

:028:
STONEY

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 06:34:25 am »
Welcome. I hope you make the right choice.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison