Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Suspension Upgrades,What Have You Done?  (Read 440 times)

Offline mznyc

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: NYC
Suspension Upgrades,What Have You Done?
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:56:47 pm »
Surprised we don't have a suspension subform and wondered what owners have done for upgrades/changes.Got my new to me 26K SE out for a good run yesterday and feel it will need heavier springs front and rear for my 200lbs...Bike responds well to input but the roads I was riding weren't particularly challenging,although I plan on using this as mostly a sporty,sport touring,80% twisties to slab,I believe it should be more comfortable that it is with a more forgiving initial C/R for road imperfections then stiffen up for quicker flicking...How does having electronic control affect options, if at all?

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
Re: Suspension Upgrades,What Have You Done?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:52:24 pm »
First make sure tire pressures are correct.  Factory specs are 36 Front and 42 rear.  Many of us run higher front.  I run 39 or 40 in the front.  Better tire life and quick turn in.
Next read your manual on suspension software options.  I run comfort on interstates and sport on twisties.  I can feel the difference.
 Also if you are using paniers and top box you might want to experiment with the initial loading, that is one rider, two riders and two riders with  luggage.
Good luck!
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline mznyc

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 08:47:52 pm »
Tire pressures are correct.Set for comfort,one up,no top box but will always run with side bags,I'll try a two-up with luggage setting and see if that helps but first impression is that it is under sprung...

Online LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 08:16:17 pm »
The original owner of my SE had to have the rear shock rebuilt. While he was having that done, the shop talked him into upgrading to a "HyPro" HD spring.
Bad move! It made the rear suspension too stiff, unless the bike is heavily loaded. The rest of the time, even with the panniers on, w/ the suspension set @"just rider & comfy", it is way too stiff. It's fine with a passenger on, or lots of trip luggage. Otherwise, too stiff.
So, I don't advise it.
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 04:25:51 pm »
MZNYC - Just as a point of reference; I run my 14TTSE set to one up with luggage, normal mode, and 39-40 up front and 42 rear. Suspension appears to me to be about spot on. Comfortably compliant. Weight wise, I've got you at 230lbs. Being in northern Georgia I spend most of my time on curvy roads and avoid slab with intentional prejudice.
 :821:

Offline mznyc

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 05:25:37 pm »
Ya,I only run on slab when necessary.My riding mantra has always been how to avoid highways and be sideways as much as possible.The ride I did that I thought exposed some deficiencies was a nice mix of back roads,state roads,highways and through towns with smooth and typically rough roads,in comparison my Ducati ST4s glides over that stuff....