Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Battery Low - Not Charging While Running  (Read 1623 times)

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    582
    • Topic Author

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Battery Low - Not Charging While Running
    on: Apr 27, 2021, 08.42 pm
    Apr 27, 2021, 08.42 pm
    I'm having trouble deciphering the multitude of posts on the subject so forgive me for repeating it.

I have a 2105 Trophy SE with 93k miles.  Two weeks ago on a ride I got a Battery Low light on the dash and before I could get home the bike completely died.

Replaced the battery and now the Battery Low light has returned while riding.  If I turn off the engine, it will restart fine and the light will be out.  However, about 10 minutes later it comes back on.

A multimeter reading across the terminals with the engine off is 12.1 volts.  With the engine running, it is still 12.1 volts even when revving to 2k rpm.

I just need to know where to start here.  Is it the battery leads? (yes I have the low rev flicker issue as well).  Should those be replaced first?

Could it be the decoupler?  Or am I looking at an alternator replacement?  If so, how difficult is it to replace the alternator (assuming that I can even get one)?
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609

• Offline tdragger   us

• Topic Author

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Re: Battery Low - Not Charging While Running
    Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2021, 08.44 pm
    Apr 27, 2021, 08.44 pm
    I'm also on a time crunch here.  I have to leave for the Iron Butt Rally by June 12th and need to be confident in the bike.
    IBA #609

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2736

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2021, 09.08 pm
    Apr 27, 2021, 09.08 pm
    You must first clean the contacts of the 40A main fuse and replace the fuse. The main fuse is above the battery.

If doing this doesn't work for you, you should replace the harness that goes from the battery, through the starter solenoid, and goes to the alternator.

First check the main fuse connector and replace the 40A fuse.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2021, 09.15 pm
    Apr 27, 2021, 09.15 pm
    Have you tried connecting the multi meter probes closer to the alternator for example, to try and establish if you can get a higher reading at some point along that path? No point just changing parts/battery wires if you can't pin point the problem as such. :002:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9947

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2021, 09.43 pm
    Apr 27, 2021, 09.43 pm
    Don't forget the basics too - check the actual Battery Terminals are clean and tight !  :138:

I'm assuming you had the Audio system software update,
    which can cause Battery draining problems ?

Cheers  :821:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2736

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2021, 10.37 pm
    Apr 27, 2021, 10.37 pm
    The voltage measured with a voltmeter should read around 14 volts with the engine running.

Normally, when the lights are flashing and the measured voltage is unstable or low, it is because current is flowing from the positive lead of the alternator that goes to the battery and also to the main ground that is connected to the alternator. They are very dirty and this causes their resistance to be high and therefore current fluctuations and unstable voltages are created.

The mentioned cables also dry out and fail.
    Last Edit: Apr 27, 2021, 10.42 pm by digital

• Offline tdragger   us

• Topic Author

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2021, 11.12 pm
    Apr 27, 2021, 11.12 pm
    It's a brand new battery so the terminals are spit clean.

Pulled the 40 amp fuse and the contacts look good.

The cables have me worried.  Might be part of the problem.

I will be swinging by a dealer tomorrow for diagnostics.  Hopefully that will give me more information.

No alternators available in the USA at this time. Even Baxters doesn't have one.

Another owner informed me that it is basically an automotive type alternator and should be easily rebuilt from any local alternator shop.

I'll know more in the next few days.  Just have to get back to Virginia from Texas.  Thankfully I trailered down for a rally.

Thanks for the guidance.
    IBA #609

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2736

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Re: Baterķa baja - No cargar mientras se ejecuta
    Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2021, 12.05 am
    Apr 28, 2021, 12.05 am
    It is hardly a problem with the alternator, it only has one winding and it is similar to those of a car, I mean that the winding is difficult to communicate, but not impossible !!!

In this case, if it were the alternator, I don't think it's the winding, rather it could be from the brushes and the rectifier / stabilizer that is hermetically encapsulated and the rectifier assembly is integrated into the cover of the alternator itself can possibly fail.

A few years ago I did not find the rectifier / stabilizer and I bought it in the United States which is where the manufacturer is.

These alternators have an automatic unlocking system that in the event of any mishap, this system works in a similar way to a clutch that unlocks it.

What happens with this unlocking system is that in some TTSE alternators they get stuck, because they have suffered deterioration due to dirt and lack of lubrication (they dry out) and they get stuck, so the unlocking system no longer does its job. This is usually manifested by a noise that sometimes makes on the right side of the engine, something like a cluck, cluck, cluck that nobody likes to hear on their motorcycle. It also manifests itself because the left foot resting on the left footrest gives a sensation of trembling.

But with this that I mention it does not make the voltages or amperages fluctuate.

Rather, it looks more like the cables I said before, think that the main part of ground is right in the alternator and we like it or not, it gets very dirty there and if it reaches the cable connections, we have a problem. ...