Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Another Newbee Question - Excessive Heat  (Read 1482 times)

Offline AZRider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Surprise
Another Newbee Question - Excessive Heat
« on: April 30, 2021, 02:11:15 am »
As might guess by my ID, it's easy to start the day over 90 in the summer.  Do Trophy bikes have any heat issues as far as exhaust heat coming up on your legs?  It was only 93 today but I felt a little more heat hitting my left leg than I would like at this 'cooler' temp. 

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
Re: Another Newbee Question - Excessive Heat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 03:00:58 am »
I don't think there is excessive heat from the engine or exhaust, but the Trophy does have a large fairing and windshield. It's a pretty warm bike to ride in the summer.

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
  • City / Town: Washington State
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 04:44:42 am »
I have not noticed excessive heat coming off of the bike.  I agree with JeffB.  The bike offers great protection, but comes with a price...that being it is warm.

Depending on how tall you are you might consider a shorter shield.  One that gets you more air when all the way down, but goes up high enough for inclement weather.  Whereas Cee Bailey's no longer makes shields...you can get the idea that a little bit lower and more narrow helps.

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,7178.0.html

Short of that, if you ride fully geared up, look at the mesh pants (Klim, etc).  You will learn to stick out a knee to collect that wind.  On my BMW GS I can wear my goretex riding pants into the mid 70's easily.  On My TTSE at about 60 degrees I am looking for a place to stop and put on my air pants.   However, when it is cool or cold the protection is outright awesome!!

However, after a certain temperature and you are getting there, its just plain hot.  A couple of years ago I came across Montana in the summer where temperature was right at 100.  Even with a saturated cooling vest it was far from a nice ride.

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 07:05:35 am »
As has been well established, it is a motorcycle well protected by its fairings and air ducts. That avoids a lot of heat to the pilot.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 02:34:28 pm »
*Originally Posted by AZRider [+]
As might guess by my ID, it's easy to start the day over 90 in the summer.  Do Trophy bikes have any heat issues as far as exhaust heat coming up on your legs?  It was only 93 today but I felt a little more heat hitting my left leg than I would like at this 'cooler' temp.
Being a neighbor to your East, I feel heat when riding in warmer weather especially on my feet and lower legs mostly at slower speeds.  Once at highway speeds it's not nearly as noticeable.  The heat from the radiator has to exit someplace. 

Not long after getting the bike I traveled to Phoenix to have lunch with a couple former co-workers.  While heading back afterward I decided to take East Shea Blvd through Scottsdale on my way to Payson and points East.  Seeing the bike show 99 degrees temps and feeling overall hot I decided to pop my shield on my helmet.  Feeling that blast of heat I quickly closed it.  I had not realized there were multiple stop lights along Shea so I really felt engine heat there.  Once I hit the highway I felt no issues.  Of course, once I left the "Valley of the Sun" it also cooled 15 degrees or more!

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 02:44:37 am »
I thought you folks in AZ only came out at night? The Trophy has a well deserved reputation for being a hot bike to ride in the summer. I use perforated boots which are an improvement, especially on the left foot. Have you checked to see that all your air seals are installed correctly between the fairing and the engine. It does make a big difference if it's missing or incorrectly installed.
1978 Bonneville    1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
2012 Thruxton      1976 Hodaka ED250
2014 Trophy SE    1950 Vincent Rapide
1976 Yamaha RD400C
1978 Yamaha DT400E

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 04:39:03 pm »
AZRider; I have noted this as well. Lower left leg gets roasted at 90 degrees plus. Much more so than the right. I have postulated that the heat is coming off the radiator hoses that are routed to the left side and the heat exiting through the left fairing opening. The practicable solution I found was a slightly higher cuff (~2") on my riding boots. Alternatively, riding with longer socks has helped.

Offline Prestaged

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Riverview, Florida
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 11:30:44 pm »
My Trophy is the hottest bike I have ever owned. So, yeah, they get hot and make you suffer along with them.

tweedy-bunch