Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Another Newbee Question - Excessive Heat  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Noggin

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 plate Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southampton
Re: Another Newbee Question - Excessive Heat
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 10:30:43 am »
I found my Sprint GT to be a lot hotter then the trophy but that's just my opinion...
Various bikes, then I grew up !
1991 Triumph Trophy 1200
2010 Triumph Sprint GT
2013 Triumph Trophy 1215

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 04:43:15 pm »
Where it is a great bike to ride in cooler temps, there is going to be a price to pay as the temps rise.  The bike has limited airflow redirection options for hot weather riding and can become uncomfortable at elevated ambient temperatures.  The bike itself does a decent job of shedding heat at highway speeds from the radiator but can get hot to sit on when in traffic - but what kind of bike is not.

Now that said, having 100+ degree wind blowing over your skin is not a good idea, that really dehydrates the body.  I still believe in gear  and wind protection even though it gets hot.

Shorter shield is great advice, unless you are 5-7 like me and there is a point where the shield just cannot go down any lower.

Good luck

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 11:30:24 am »
While higher temps(above 85F) are a bit uncomfortable on the trophy, it is by far not the warmest bike that I have ever owned.
I had an '82 Suzuki GS1100GK that was unbearable, in traffic, over 80F. I would remove the fairing lowers once temps got routinely into the 70's, just to redirect engine heat & cooling. But, once in summer traffic, it was brutally hot. That big air cooled engine, combined with any kind of a fairing, was just plain hot!
I even remember my air cooled 70's Triumphs being quite warm in traffic.
So, the water cooled bikes that I've had(over the last 25yrs) are much more tolerant for me, based on previous scorching memories.
That being stated, I love the power windshield on the trophy. It is my savior in hot weather, as are the highway pegs off my   R&G guards!
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 05:46:56 pm »
I put a Cee Bailey sport shield on mine to increase the airflow in the summer, but I've never noticed excessive heat from my Trophy.

Offline AZRider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Surprise
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 10:04:00 pm »
The Trophy does kick out a lot of heat on days over 90 degrees; especially on the left leg.  That's a given.  I think we get like 145 days over 100 here in Phoenix.  I don't think a shield to cover the leg is the way to go unless someone can verify that such works.  If you look at the bottom left vent, you can see part of the engine (water pump??) being towards the back of the vent and only about 1/2 inch inside the fairing.  I'm guessing that's were some of the heat is coming from.  Of course, the exhaust pipes are close by and I'm sure part of the problem too. 

My question is:  Anyone every blocked the the last 4-5 inches of the bottom vent that is nearest the leg?  Would that kick the air around your leg more?  Or would that just heat up the engine more?  Anyone got any ideas?  In town, the heat can be intense. 

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 09:46:32 pm »
I donít think that it would make much difference either way when you are at a standstill, and thatís the only time that the heat is noticeable to me.

As much as I love riding, if Iím unlucky enough to be in Phoenix by the time the temperature gets to 100 degrees, you are unlikely to see me on a motorcycle. I think if I lived here year round, I would own a naked motorcycle for sure, especially since you donít really need weather protection anyway, given the lack of precipitation.

Then again, I spend most of my time based out of Northern Wisconsin, where engine heat is normally a welcome thing!  :153:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 01:50:56 am »
AZRider;

I wouldn't block the vent at all! Instead, I have toyed with the idea of adding a "winglet" or some sort of extention of the vent outlet surround to throw the heat out and away from my leg. I don't really ever experience the heat on my leg at a stop. Instead it seems to be an in-motion sort of thing, especially at highway speeds. (Think left-leg hot air gun and you'll get what I mean.)

Anyway, I have never thought of a good idea to add this winglet thing without impacting the looks of the bike, so I have gone with a boot extension (higher sock) instead.

If you come up with a good idea I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.  :821:

Offline Trophyed-Up

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chesapeake Va.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 04:41:15 am »
When I picked up my SE last summer it had a tall V-stream windshield installed.  It also came with a short V-stream windshield.  I made the 420 mile ride home in 90 plus heat with humidity to match. One of my first posts on the forum was to comment on the heat coming up from the bike.  In my opinion significantly worse than my 1800 Goldwing.  I swapped windshields and the short V-stream works much better for me to find the sweet spot.  I also installed a set of Baker windwings like I had on my Goldwing.  The wind wings came with a c-clamp that does not work.  I had to drill a hole through the plastic in the mirror frame to install.  The wings do a pretty good job of whisking the heat away.  They can also be turned to block the air.