Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy SE Engine Totally Shuts Down w/o WARNING  (Read 23116 times)

Offline dijitel1

• Trophy Member
  • Dude. She's not overweight, just big bones...
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Pittsburgh, PA
Trophy SE Engine Totally Shuts Down w/o WARNING
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:40:53 am »
Hello has anyone had this problem with the SE. In the past 1 week my bike shut down on me without warning. Twice now I would drive normally as I do and without warning the engine shuts off with the electronics still on (dash information center). After the bike's engine shuts down/off, I had to drift to the side of the road alongside moving traffic (one time at 35-40 mph) and (another time at 45-55 mph) with traffic behind me. I'm thankful this did not happen while pulling onto a major freeway. Once I turned the kill switch to the off position and turned the key off, waited for about 5 minutes and the cycle fired right up. When I called the dealer last Wednesday they immediately told me to bring it to service on Thursday. I called today and there was no response because nobody from Triumph factory has called them back. I hope this is not a curse of the very early VIN, as the tank, shift lever and now this seems to plague me. The recalls have taken 8 weeks out of my riding. Has anyone here encountered the engine shut down failure?

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Trophy SE Engine Totally Shuts Down w/o WARNING
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:09 am »
I have read about a problem with the throttle position sensor. It throws an error code if it is.  The TPS then needs to be replaced.

Offline dijitel1

• Trophy Member
  • Dude. She's not overweight, just big bones...
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback saaz :-)

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:37:47 am »
I have not (yet) had any such issue, however, my TTSE has only travelled 1000km.  But, I recently had the 1st service done, and given the engine cutting out issues which have been raised in this forum and possible cause being related to the TPS , I noted something of particular interest on my 1st service invoice.

The list of checks performed by the workshop goes from 1 to 15, but at number 14 (and at 14 only) there is an item 14a.  When I read what this 14a check is "Check TPS and stepper motor settings are correct, check throttle body balance and AUTOSCAN", I immediately wondered - how come it's 14a? why 'a'? and then thought perhaps given the issue mentioned above, has Triumph now added this as an extra service check, being to check the TPS.  I suppose, those of you who had their 1st service done quite some time ago, could see if this 14a check also appears on your invoices, if so, then perhaps I have just gone paranoid  :087:.     
Always ride in control.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:23:01 am »
D. See my post in the maintainance section. I entitled it Electrical failure, which I thought it was. There are several on here who have had such problems. Apparently it is the TPS.

A dangerous problem in my opinion.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:14 pm »
D, apparently this is another "from-the-factory" problem that is very real and very dangerous...I, and others on this forum have experienced the same potentially disasterous engine failure. It is the TPS and related servo/throttle body assembly malfunction and will require an updated TPS for certain and servo/throttle body assembly maybe...Get 'er done and you'll be fine! I HAVE NEARLY 3000 MILES ON MY NEW TPS AND SERVO/TB ASSEMBLY WITH FLAWLESS DAY TO DAY OPERATION...-Dr Ron  :028:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 04:51:28 pm »
My concern would be if the TPS has failed after relatively few miles, even if replaced, probably replaced with the same kit with the same flaws. How long before you need another replacement for what, as you quite rightly say, is a potentially life threatening failure.

If Triumph are aware of this fault and it sounds worryingly more common than anyone would like, they need to be sourcing a better sensor and making a recall. Even 1 serious accident as a result of a failure of this kit on a bike at speed is 1 too many!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 05:15:48 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
My concern would be if the TPS has failed after relatively few miles, even if replaced, probably replaced with the same kit with the same flaws. How long before you need another replacement for what, as you quite rightly say, is a potentially life threatening failure.

If Triumph are aware of this fault and it sounds worryingly more common than anyone would like, they need to be sourcing a better sensor and making a recall. Even 1 serious accident as a result of a failure of this kit on a bike at speed is 1 too many!

Couldn't have said it better  :028: :028: There under warranty "TAKE EM BACK" and "TAKE NO BS" I had six freaking months of this type of crap.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.