Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Good ideas that aren't!  (Read 5068 times)

Offline JRickW

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy-Blue
  • City / Town: SoCal
Good ideas that aren't!
« on: September 11, 2013, 06:51:26 AM »
I hate the electric lock on the glove box! Why? As the sun goes down, I can't drop the shades in the box.  And if I want something when the bike's off, I have to turn the key, which sends up the screen...  Leading to,

Why does the screen have to park down when off?  Just extra wear and tear as far as I am concerned.

I'm sure these sounded like good ideas around the board room...

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Good ideas that aren't!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:47:28 AM »
I agree with you on the glovebox thing! Especially as my phone is in there connected to the USB!

I have had to train myself to always open the glove box before killing the ignition. Still forget it from time to time and then as you say, have to turn it all on, wait for the screen and the TES, open the flap and then turn it off again.

I can't imagine that having a central locking glovebox was cheaper than having another keyed barrel lock on it!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:00:49 AM »
So your phone doesn't get knocked off when you go into the pub/bakery. Only takes a second to unlock after you turn ignition on.
Screen looks much cooler down when parked which is very important.
Sorry guys I like both features and would not like a key lock on the glovebox.
Simon

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »
Yeah, if I am only leaving the bike for a moment or two then yes, I can leave the phone. I am not a teenager joined to it at a molecular level! LOL

Yes. Unlocking the glove box doesn't take long. But if you turn on, unlock and turn off again before the bike has finished it's startup cycle for screen and TES you then get glitches. I am convinced this is where a good number of the apparent electrical problems come from. People momentarily blipping the electrical power to open glove boxes and the like.

If you want an electrical lock, do the job properly! Give me full central locking with a key fob. Or even better, keyless start and unlocking!

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »
That makes sense CB. I too though would get rid of the screen parking feature as it is the cause for more problems than anything else. I still have problems with mine and that is even after having the screen motor replaced. 
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
Maybe, they view the open compartment door as a driving hazard. I know its below the height of the handlebars, but you dint know what the legal department is thinking. I work with the locking feature because it works, and its consistent. Windshield parking/pinch avoidance, sucks. That needs to be worked out. And agree, auto park not needed. But then you will have people complain that put covers on their bikes. Like: "I forget to lower the windshield to put on the cover after I shut the bike off. Now I have to turn on the key wait for the gauge sweep and startup screen, and lower the screen. They should make the windshield park automatically". :745:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
The simplest solution would be to put something in the bike setup menu which allows you to select either park or not as the default on the screen for power off!

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
What an excellent idea CB. Just like the auto cancelling indicators (which I love BTW).
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison