Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Another, another goodbye...  (Read 638 times)

Offline Chris Higgs

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Another, another goodbye...
« on: May 08, 2021, 06:41:20 pm »
Sadly I have let the SE go. Had three Trophys since launch in 2012 and put about 120k miles on them in total, rain and shine. Pretty much lived on the things for the 9 years, work and play.

I've derived much enjoyment on here and saved not a few quid with the information shared and provided by Coconut. Genuinely grateful for the support it has been as others have said recently too.

Sadly, the combined effect of there being no new Trophy (I'd get another new one like a shot), being out of warranty, a few niggles that were worsening on the bike and then an estimate for about 25% of the bike's trade value to get the rear shock repaired has meant I'm now on a BMW. Have to say I'm impressed, too.

A few bits and pieces in the garage that I no longer need, see 'Marketplace' - I'm open to any reasonable offer.

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
Re: Another, another goodbye...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:02:04 pm »
I hope you do well with your new BMW. I have friends who own BMWs and they also have their problems and repairs, they are not cheap at all.

I'm sorry you had trouble with the Trophy.

The Trophy is a great bike and you know it well. It is a very stable and reliable motorcycle that on any long trip can travel with great confidence and joy and comfort, both for the rider and passenger.

Take care of yourself and stay safe.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 12:39:51 am »
Enjoy your new ride and drop in and keep us posted on how you're doing.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 10:04:13 am »
Sorry to hear you are off to pastures new, enjoy your new bike.
I would love to know your views on it compared to the Trophy.
I too would have another Trophy, but when the time comes for me to change, there isn't anything I fancy right now.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 01:53:41 pm »
Cheers Chris Higgs, Sorry to lose you, and Thank You for the kind words.

Stay Safe, Whatever you ride !  :028:

Offline Merlot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 06:11:02 pm »
Au revoir.  We too have thoughts of what to do post Trophy. 
Ride safe

Offline Chris Higgs

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 01:10:52 pm »
Thanks all.
Unfortunately since a bike is my means of transport, reliability is essential (and so a warranty very valuable).
I'd love to be able to take my time and repair it but I don't have the option to 'just jump in the car'.
Even maintenance has to be done so it's ready to roll in the morning. Work takes me all over the country.
The dealer I used (Performance Triumph Stratford) for the previous Pan/ST1300 and subsequently Trophys was absolutely superb. They dealt with all the recalls and warranty work, warped and rusting discs, front end wobbles, gear pedal failures (2), centre stand, ignition and gave me a loaner every time and every service. I booked services months in advance, and even had the 40k service (over £1000).
Once the warranty finished mid lockdown 1, I should have changed it.
I didn't, preferring to 'conserve resources' since there was no work on the horizon until January this year.
So with no Trophy available new and no warranty left, I had little option when the shock failed. It rode fine but was an MOT (due in a month) fail. There was a very low mileage bike in the showroom with full luggage and 3 months warranty that also gives me a deposit on a new RT once the summer is over.
Only the RT remains in the touring sector I think now. Not even the FJR any more.

Already not enjoying getting wet and muddy on the RS in weather the SE would have laughed off, leaning forward and having to find ingenious ways of carrying sunglasses, never mind a week's worth of clothes and work gear.
The BM panniers are actually a greater volume than the SE but a useless shape!
However I have to say the engineering is vastly superior to the Triumph. Very sturdy machine indeed.
I think Triumph did a great job with the Trophy but used value engineering to say the least.
BM are obviously an enormous operation and their buying power shows in the details. 
Will I miss the Trophy? Definitely, but there really is very little (new) out there that offers the level of protection and carrying capacity other than the RT as far as I can see.