Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Road Trip Advice  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Bpendlet

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashville, Tn
Road Trip Advice
« on: May 11, 2021, 12:55:09 pm »
Greetings fellow TTSE lovers.  Next year I plan to take a roughly 2,500 mile trip following the famed Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles.  My partner will be on a Triumph Speedmaster, so I will have to carry most of the kit.

I’ve never taken a multi day trip on a motorcycle, so all advice is welcome.  Especially as it pertains to optimal clothes, tools, gear, rout planning, en route maintenance/repair protocols, etc.  Also, if anyone has ‘must see’ recommendations near Route 66 I’d love to hear about it.

Replies are welcome here, but if it’s lengthy and/or detailed our fellow enthusiasts might appreciate it if you emailed me directly at ##redacted##.

Thanks in advance.

Admin edit:  Email address removed from post as per forum rules. Please use Personal Message system which you can exchange contact details in private.

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
Re: Road Trip Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 01:29:22 pm »
I've developed a minimalist attitude toward packing and traveling.  I make sure wear items such as tires and brake pads have enough life in them to make the trip and don't worry about tools beyond those that come with the bike and a tire plug kit.  Chances are slim you will get parts in time to make any major repairs on the road anyway, since it seems like every Trophy-specific part is on backorder in the U.S.  If it helps your peace of mind, make sure you have the means to get a plane or bus ticket back home in case you have to leave the bike at a dealer for a month waiting for parts. 

As far as clothes are concerned, lay out what you think you need then put half of it away.  You probably won't use all of the half you take anyway, and you can wash a load of laundry at most motels.  Don't cheap out on rain gear and make sure it works before you leave.  That is what works for me, but I'm comfortable with just a toothbrush and an extra pair of underpants for anything under a week.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 01:41:51 pm »
I agree with the lay out everything and then put half away.  I try, but I always end up overpacking on clothing.  Of course the time of year has a lot to do with what HAS to be packed.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 03:10:44 pm »
Many here will give good advice. Listen & consider all those hard earned lessons. &, do bring along at least one extra shifter/brake lever pivot bolt(& the basic tools to change it)!
Happy planning!
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline jrr

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Near Madison, WI
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 03:43:59 pm »
If you haven't done a multi day trip spend some time making sure everything you wear or interface with on the motorcycle is up to the task.  Are you familiar with and comfortable using your GPS?  Is your helmet comfortable, do your glasses fit inside your helmet and are comfortable all day?  Route 66 in the summer is going to get hot and the Trophy doesn't offer much relief, how are you going to deal with that? (hint, switch with the guy on the Speedmaster during the hottest part of the day!).  Is your seat comfortable for multiple long days?

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:39:09 pm »
Enjoy, you are in for a treat.

What to take, a bit like how long is a piece of string type question.  I start with two piles.  Pile one is all the kit I think I need and pile two is all the money I think I will need.  Then halve pile 1 and double pile 2!

I personally would not carry another persons kit nor ask anyone to carry mine, I think being totally independent of each other is a good thing.  The exception is with camping gear or weighty tools which are best shared.  The lighter you can keep your bike the better, just makes everything a bit easier.

Tyre repair and a method of inflation is good, practice using your kit in the warmth and light of your garage; it is much easier than trying to read instructions in the wet and dark!  I know.

Enjoy the ride and don't forget to stop and smell the flowers.
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 07:05:07 pm »
Carrying a briefcase like this or similar, you will not need to be loaded with tools.

The Trophy is a very faithful deborakilometer that does not usually leave anyone in the lurch, so have confidence in your motorcycle that does not have to give any mechanical or electronic problem.

That is, before leaving, do a good check of the oil, antifreeze, brake pads etc, etc and you can do 14,000 kilometers without problems.

He has made me long teeth with Route 66 so cool !!!

If possible send a photo of Route 66.

Good luck and enjoy !!!
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 07:50:02 pm »
Just had another thought. When working on my bike at home I use only the tools I carry on the bike and you soon get to know what you need.

You could end looking like this:

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE