Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Road Trip Advice  (Read 1216 times)

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
Re: Road Trip Advice
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 08:58:37 pm »
 :745: :745: :745:
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 09:21:47 pm »
Photos from when we made the trip to NORDKAPP:

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE - Blue
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 03:15:08 am »
I'd also recommend taking several individual day trips prior to your long one while increasing the distance travelled with each trip.  You'll get a good feel for your scoot, for what's comfortable and what's not, and a better idea of how long you'll wish to travel each day.  When planning your trip, make sure to mark all of the places you want to visit along the way and make sure to leave enough time to thoroughly explore some of those places.
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 01:14:49 pm »
Lots of good advice there  :028: The only thing I'd add is, when packing, put your rain gear to one side. Once you've packed everything else, then pack those. If there's no space left, take stuff out until you have room for your rain gear and it's the first thing to hand  :169:

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 01:19:10 pm »
 :028: Great suggestion on the rain gear as far as I'm concerned.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 01:36:29 pm »
If you’re going somewhere HOT, just pack two T-shirts, 2 pairs of socks & pants.
When you shower each evening take your T-shirt, pants & socks off in the shower and drop them in the shower tray bottom, have a shower as normal and tread up & down on the clothing.
Your pants etc. get washed in the shower gel as you wash yourself then finally rinse out the clothes and hang them up, they should be dry by the morning.

Another hack in HOT countries – when you stop for fuel, fill your crash helmet with cold water and empty out, if your head is cool it helps keep you cool.
This is tried, tested and works great!
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 02:03:05 pm »
Don't try the Helmet full of water if you have an Intercom system installed !  :138:

Another Tip : 
Those Neck rolls that usually keep the draughts out when it's cold  :190:
are GREAT to wear when it's HOT, if soaked in water first !  :062:

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 02:22:56 pm »
Good hot weather advice there from Steve  :028: If it is hot / sunny don't be tempted to go without a buff / scarf around your neck. Having a sun burned neck is not good on the bike where you're moving your head around a lot more. As Steve says, just wet it and let evaporation do the cooling work for you, a  bottle of water with a squirty top / spout means you can have a quick drink and cool without having to stop on a safe bit of road.

Lot's said about the bike and packing but don't forget about yourselves. Long trips take it out of you in ways you might not expect, not just numb bum. I don't know your physical condition but I can assure you now from experience of very long days and multi week trips, much of it in the tropics. You will still get aches and perhaps even headaches, so sun glasses are a must even when it doesn't look so bright, hours of glare and concentration will have you wishing you had a paracetamol (other brands are available) to hand in the tank bag to keep your mind on the job part of riding.

Travelling like this can be huge fun, particularly if you have comms, just remember, there is an off switch  :038: Longer trips can put a strain on personal relationships too, you might think being isolated on a bike is Me Time enough but it didn't always work that way for me, not sure why  :187: I still found I occasionally needed an hour or so properly on my own to be able to reset and really enjoy the riding and company to the fullest.

tweedy-bunch