Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Road Trip Advice  (Read 1512 times)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Road Trip Advice
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 04:11:21 pm »
Stay well hydrated.  Dehydration can creep in and can do strange things to your judgement and decision making abilities, none of them good.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 03:58:49 pm »
I took my first long motorcycle trip way back in 1977 to celebrate my 21st birthday.
That was long before there was an Internet to offer advice on what to do.
I left home with a pocketful of cash, and an Amoco gas credit card.
About 1,000 miles into the journey, my chain ran out of adjustment, and I had to purchase a new one in Rapid City, SD. I proceeded to visit Mt. Rushmore, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, US Hwy 1 in California, and Death Valley National Park.By the time I reached Las Vegas, NV, my rear tire was toast, requiring a replacement. Next it was on to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, where I woke up one morning and realized that I had just enough cash to make it back home if I made a beeline immediately. What followed was my first Iron Butt ride, long before there was an IBA, 1,316 miles straight through to Omaha, NE. Unfortunately, due to my lack of funds, I had to make sure that all my gas stops were at Amoco gas stations. I pulled into one as my bike was starting to run out of fuel in Colorado, only to discover that it was no longer in business. After leaning my Honda 750 onto its side stand to force whatever fuel was left into the tank, I made it about three miles down the road before I coasted to a stop. As I was putting my side stand down, a station wagon pulled behind me, and a family from my home state of Illinois proceeded to take me to the next Amoco gas station down the road, and then back to my bike with a gas can. I ended up making it back home with a whopping nineteen cents in my pocket.

So, the moral of my long winded story?
1) Make sure that your motorcycles are fully serviced before you leave.
2) If you have a valid credit card, you will be able to address most anything that comes up, so donít stress too much about the finer details.
3) Make sure that you have fun. If you find yourself not having fun, make some changes so that you are. That first trip of mine was 17 days long and spanned over 7,000 miles. I certainly made a lot of dumb mistakes, looking back, but I also created memories that are still with me today.  :002:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 05:15:34 pm »
Saddle Tramp, a beautiful chronicle that happened to you in 1977. For you it was a fun adventure and it surely served you as an experience to tell.  :047: :047: :047: :821: :821: :821:
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 05:38:15 pm »
Thanks digital!  :158:
That trip started me on a career of motorcycle Adventuring that still continues 44 years later, and I'm still figuring out the best way to pack my motorcycle!  :005:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 04:16:05 am »
Riding gear is a place I start.

I pick pants I like and pack more than one pair of them to bring on trips, doing this helps with only needing one pair of knee pads.

Shirts, what kind do you like? Fast drying help with rain and sweat.

Socks and underwear, These pack down well.
A pair of tennis shoes so after youíve ridden all day you can get out of your boots.

I get nylon camping bags that roll down and snaps to close them that I put my clothes in and I take a permanent marker and just write on them whatís inside.
I found some fairly cheap ones at one of the large superstores that starts with a W.
In their outdoor section One package comes with a variety of sizes in red yellow blue.

I get one bag almost like a tent bag that is waterproof for my rain gear and put it on my back seat.
If you are going to have a lot of gear you can get waterproof duffel bags to sit on your backseat and they can hold anywhere from 20 to 40 to 60 Liters put something on the grab handles to keep the bag from rubbing the silver paint off.

I believe everybodyís covered maintenance and making sure that youíve ridden enough to know your Comfort level and knowing your friends capabilities.

Have a great trip.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 04:17:44 am by 2slowTrophy »
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline Emerson

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy
  • City / Town: Santa Fe NM
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 07:19:18 am »
I live immediately off of the Original Old Route 66 (1926-1937) and minutes to the current one just outside of Santa Fe NM and I have a guesthouse IM me before you start out. I am also a history buff and this area is amazing, I live on a historic Civil War Battlefield (The Battle of Glorieta). Let me know if I can be of assistance.
My number one advice would be a life-changer from a few years back, when I ride I wear only the cool-max type shirts as a base layer, I donít know how I managed before them. Soaked t-shirts are a thing of the past, they also make underwear with the technology if you would call it that :062:. Second piece of advice is invest in a hydration vest. It works like air conditioning and even in my states five percent humidity the can help keep you kool for up to two hours. Third piece of advice is what a skier told me before my first trip out west; start hydrating weeks in advance, if you donít itíll roll right through you. Fruit will help keep you hydrated longer, donít ask me the science.
ďIn the end, today is forever, yesterday is still today, and tomorrow is already today.Ē

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 09:45:41 am »
Make sure the bike is ready. Tyres, service, brakes etc.
I always have 2 or 3 credit cards "just in case". Do some research about what you would like to see on the way, nothing worse than getting back and realising you missed something fantastic only a few miles from where you were and unlikely to go again. Go on, ask me how many times that has happened to me!!
Consider a "rest day" in a nice place if you feel you need it, and don't try to do too much. Also consider the other riders skill level, bike, comfort etc.
Have some equipment to repair a puncture and how to use it.
I am a minimalist traveller. T shirt to ride in, fleece if it gets cold, 2 pairs of socks and undies and 2 t shirts and a pair of jeans or light trousers for the evening. Washing has been covered.
On a 7 week trip I did a few years ago, my wife put some clothes out for me. I didn't know if I was off for a motorcycle tour or leaving home.
Above all, enjoy it and talk to the locals. They know lots and are almost always helpful.

tweedy-bunch