Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Anybody ever go from Triumph to Indian?  (Read 2043 times)

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • Topic Author

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    Anybody ever go from Triumph to Indian?
    on: May 19, 2021, 09.56 pm
    May 19, 2021, 09.56 pm
    My 2015 TTSE is set up perfectly for me with a Russell seat among other things.  22,000 fun miles, but I am getting an inkling for a change.  Looking at trading the TTSE plus a lot of cash for a 2021 Indian Roadmaster Darkhorse.

Anybody ever got on a big twin cruiser after their TTSE?

I know itís not as quick as the Triumph, but I have the BMW if I am needing the speed thrill!  Financially it makes no sense, but you gotta live too!
    Thoughts?
    https://cdp.azureedge.net/products/USA/IDN/2021/MC/TOURING/ROADMASTER_DARK_HORSE/49/THUNDER_BLACK_SMOKE/2000000015.jpg

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Anybody ever go from Triumph to Indian?
    Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 02.25 am
    May 20, 2021, 02.25 am
    Looks like a lot of highway miles in it's future!  Maybe not quite so many back roads at the same fun level as the Trophy.  If you buy it, you will ride it! :028:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline smash   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    191

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 02.43 am
    May 20, 2021, 02.43 am
    Riding a cruiser isn't my idea of living.

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • Topic Author

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 03.46 am
    May 20, 2021, 03.46 am
    *Originally Posted by smash [+]
    Riding a cruiser isn't my idea of living.

Clue me in.....?

If I decide to trade the ttse it will fill another niche.
    I have a local bike & to the gym bike.....a 2019 Indian Scout Bobber.
    I have a camping bike that will work as a touring or semi touring bike....a 2017 BMW GS
    The RM would be the multi state touring bike as that is what I use my ttse for.

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    599

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 12.10 pm
    May 20, 2021, 12.10 pm
    The Roadmaster is what I'm looking at as well.  Will probably keep the TTSE as a rally bike but move to the RM for flower-sniff'n.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 Iron Butt Rally, 2022 LDX Rally)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 Iron Butt Rally)
    IBA #609

• Offline smash   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    191

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 12.48 pm
    May 20, 2021, 12.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by Xsv [+]

Clue me in.....?

If I decide to trade the ttse it will fill another niche.
    I have a local bike & to the gym bike.....a 2019 Indian Scout Bobber.
    I have a camping bike that will work as a touring or semi touring bike....a 2017 BMW GS
    The RM would be the multi state touring bike as that is what I use my ttse for.

Strictly my personal preference.  I don't care for the low seat height, feet forward riding position and reduced lean angles of these bikes.  I'm obviously in the minority though, as there are far, far more of them on the road in the U.S. than anything else.   

• Offline jrr

• Trophy Member  ‐    12

Offline jrr

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Near Madison, WI
    Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 04.31 pm
    May 20, 2021, 04.31 pm
    I rented an Indian in Florida for a week in 2016, owned a Harley Road King at the time, a C90 Suzuki before that and have several hours on the bars of my buddies Kaw Voyager.  When the Indian first appeared I went on an annual test rides, probably the first 3 years.  At first a little disappointed with the engine, no real difference from the Harley.  Felt and sounded like an emasculated Harley.  Over time have come to realize that all the big V-twins perform roughly the same.

Indians have a better suspension than Harley and I would say generally handle better.  Rented a M8 in California for a week a couple years ago, it was better but not a game changer.  If I had a choice of which one to rent for a long day in the saddle it would be the Indian.  The Indian attracted attention wherever we went, there aren't many around.  Harleys are like belly buttons.  If I were purchasing and had to choose I'd most likely buy a Harley over an Indian, not slam dunk just the most likely scenario.  Has more to do with cost and availability, especially of lightly used machines, I have never bought a new motorcycle.

I tend to stay with a bike for several years.  Takes a while to get everything right and not anxious to repeat the process.  If I traded more frequently I'd probably have had an Indian by now and based on my previous experience would have been happy with it.  I have struggled with comfort on my TTSE and also had the itch this spring.  However, I ride and tour two up and the supercharged ride I coveted  would have been a big step backwards in passenger comfort.  So raised the bars, lowered the pegs and bought an AirHawk for the planned tour of the Northwest in August.

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • Topic Author

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 08.10 pm
    May 20, 2021, 08.10 pm
    *Originally Posted by jrr [+]
    I rented an Indian in Florida for a week in 2016, owned a Harley Road King at the time, a C90 Suzuki before that and have several hours on the bars of my buddies Kaw Voyager.  When the Indian first appeared I went on an annual test rides, probably the first 3 years.  At first a little disappointed with the engine, no real difference from the Harley.  Felt and sounded like an emasculated Harley.  Over time have come to realize that all the big V-twins perform roughly the same.

Indians have a better suspension than Harley and I would say generally handle better.  Rented a M8 in California for a week a couple years ago, it was better but not a game changer.  If I had a choice of which one to rent for a long day in the saddle it would be the Indian.  The Indian attracted attention wherever we went, there aren't many around.  Harleys are like belly buttons.  If I were purchasing and had to choose I'd most likely buy a Harley over an Indian, not slam dunk just the most likely scenario.  Has more to do with cost and availability, especially of lightly used machines, I have never bought a new motorcycle.

I tend to stay with a bike for several years.  Takes a while to get everything right and not anxious to repeat the process.  If I traded more frequently I'd probably have had an Indian by now and based on my previous experience would have been happy with it.  I have struggled with comfort on my TTSE and also had the itch this spring.  However, I ride and tour two up and the supercharged ride I coveted  would have been a big step backwards in passenger comfort.  So raised the bars, lowered the pegs and bought an AirHawk for the planned tour of the Northwest in August.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Single best thing I did for the TTSE for comfort was adding a backrest and a Russell saddle.  Only did the front as I am a solo rider.  They will do a custom pillion too!