Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: windscreen for 2 up?  (Read 994 times)

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
Re: windscreen for 2 up?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 11:59:19 am »
*Originally Posted by sin_tiger [+]
Do you use a Top Box?  I don't like the air flow riding solo with the top box but it made a big difference 2 up compared to without it.

Everyone is different but I'm with "Smash" and similarly considered getting a used screen to cut down. In the end I bought one of these inexpensive single point "spoiler" screens having used a German made one on a Tiger in the past. Turned out it did the job so well that I continued using it and only adjust the angle slightly for long Autobahn speed journeys. Protracted City riding I take it off and stick it a pannier to stop it getting nicked, otherwise it's unobtrusive. My point in mentioning this is, a few $$ spent to play around with might help with understanding what works for you before making a very expensive purchase.

I use a Laminar Lip, which sounds similar to what you're using, sin tiger - a "spoiler" screen...?  It does wonders for air flow and buffeting.
IBA #69644

Offline Yellow jacket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017Trophy/15Explore
  • City / Town: Portland, Ore.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 02:40:15 pm »
Ebay gets the Vstream from National cycle. National cycle doesn't make the 21" anymore. If you order a 21" from EBay, you will receive a 24", without asking you if you want the taller screen or not. Like they did to me. I looked and looked for someone who cuts screens down and finally found someone who does , so I don't have to return this one. If your shorter like me(5'9"), and need the 21", find that person/business first , then order the screen. It'll be less frustrating in the process.
 Oh, and I'm having the stock screen cut down to the top of the mounting brackets to use on those hot trips.

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 05:14:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by brenchley [+]
I use a Laminar Lip, which sounds similar to what you're using, sin tiger - a "spoiler" screen...?  It does wonders for air flow and buffeting.

Probably the same or similar. Wunderlich Vario was the name I was trying to recall, huge range of adjustment, can't find a photo of it on the SE but the attached should give you the idea. There are a lot of copies on the market for under $25 that will probably do the same thing but are unlikely to be of the same quality of finish.

Offline Stephane

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 08:26:13 am »
Thanks for the suggestion sin_Tiger.
I'm not a fan of how those 'spoilers' look, but I do wonder if the fact that they allow some air to go under would help reduce back pressure. They would be nice.
Previous bikes: Yamaha FZ-09, Yamaha FJR 1300, Kawasaki Vulcan 900

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 12:07:11 pm »
Looks like Wunderlich and Laminar Lip do things a little differently.  It looks like the Wunderlich part kind of extends the windscreen.  The Lip acts more like an airfoil and they make a model specifically for our bike.  I've had it on two bikes and have found it to be very effective at what it does.

https://www.laminarlip.com/whyneed.php
IBA #69644

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 10:17:35 pm »
California Scientific offers several options for the Trophy, as well as an excellent chart to decide which size to select. I am very happy with the Large CalSci screen on my Trophy for the last 30,000 miles.

I normally keep it in the lowest position, but raise it in inclement weather, or on the rare occasions that The Mrs. joins me for a ride these days...
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)