I still love my Trophy by gwcrim
[Today at 01:45:26 am]

Engine Lugging RPM by Tenequip
[Today at 01:32:51 am]

Left the Fold - at least for now... by gwcrim
[Today at 12:38:10 am]

Riding the Appalachians by gwcrim
[Today at 12:30:24 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tired of pricey hiway pegs  (Read 682 times)

Offline Jersey24

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE 2017
  • City / Town: Freehold NJ
Tired of pricey hiway pegs
« on: May 26, 2021, 04:05:08 am »
Hello from New Jersey USA! I had some expensive hiway pegs on my old Versys and they looked ok but most of the ones I see are kind of hanging low or quite pricey on the TTSE. Custom made or maybe clamps that slip a little without some rubber backing.
I present a work in progress cheap hiway pegs and looking for some clever input to make them look decent or abandon them. They look pretty bad but I just wanted to get an idea of what I could hang from the risers. We are under $50 so far and with a few round spacers and larger diameter peg plus a gallon of some paint it could maybe work. Well they hold my feet already so that's a win. No animals were hurt in their production but even the Wife did have a good laugh.
7/8" bar risers clamp pretty tight and just need a pivot of some type to mount a peg. I may put a wooden dowel on there if I wear a tinted shield to hide my shame. Thanks Guys

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 04:08:11 am by Jersey24 »

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
Re: Tired of pricey hiway pegs
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 08:14:37 am »
I'm not laughing, honest. My only concern is "are they going to come in contact with the pavement when cornering". If not, then I say who cares what they look like as long as they work for you. But as you said a work in progress. Cheers.  :169:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:10:18 am »
As HACKLE says, it can be a bit dangerous if you lie down a lot in curves.

On the other hand, if the motorcycle falls to the ground with the weight of the Trophy, it could cause breakage in the parts where the engine protection bars are anchored.

In Spain it would not pass the control of the ITV.

But if you feel comfortable, it is what it is worth. But you should make something like a swingarm so that in the event of a fall of the motorcycle, the footrests bend and there is no damage, also obviously put rubber protection that covers those footrests.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 02:01:43 pm »
I'd say with the way Jersey24 has arranged the two nuts and washers, these will be able to be swung out of the way when not being used and hence will just flip if the worst happens.

Patience, he does say it's a work in progress and no doubt there will be refinements coming as he works through how they work for him. I'm all for homemade stuff, especially if it's made from materials you have to hand  :028:

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Lunar Silver SE
  • City / Town: Chicago area
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 12:30:09 am »
Not to hijack the thread, but here's my hiway peg set up. I was lucky enough to get a set of crash bars second hand that had them already installed, but the sat too far inward to be comfortable. A trip to Menards found a 1" long aluminum spacer and a couple of grade 8 bolts to securely mount them. Now they sit out far enough where I can comfortable rest my foot without extra effort to keep my legs pulled in, and I can also stretch out and rest my ankles on them too.

I would think any reputable machinist, fabricator or blacksmith (yes they do still exist!) could make a mounting boss like it appears was done on mine and weld it into the corner. I would just make sure either the bars are taken off or a battery cable is disconnected to prevent feedback into the bikes circuits. Once that's done just find a set of universal folding pegs that suit your needs.

Offline Jersey24

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE 2017
  • City / Town: Freehold NJ
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 02:13:03 am »
I like your weld attached pegs and a good reason to get a welder and figure out how to use it. I put my feet up there on the adventure  bars and still a little bit cramped but with your pegs it should stretch it out a little. It shouldn't be so hard to find some nice hiway pegs. Personally if my seat didn't jam me into its bucket I would be a bit further back and higher and be OK. The Moto Werk ones are nice but they don't seem to blend in like they did on the Versys 1000 with a frame mount. I was thinking of hanging some leather stirrups, man that would give you full range and you could likely be the first in your area to have them, and yes you could attach them to the bars and steer with your feet.
Anyways with the parts I had on hand I am going with this for a while and they sit in a nice place for me.  Feels solid but just a little bit out in the way if you are looking closely. These are spring loaded so do fold but won't stay up unless you pop the spring or wire tie etc. Maybe paint them shiny black.
I want to do some travel to Texas and would never make it with the stock seat and pegs. Its not that I am cheap I just don't like the other offerings I have seen so far.
Best to all

tweedy-bunch